It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Teen Unlocks IPhone From AT&T Network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

NJ Teen Unlocks IPhone From AT&T Network

www.sfgate.com

A 17-year-old hacker has broken the lock that ties Apple's iPhone to AT&T's wireless network, freeing the most hyped cell phone ever for use on the networks of other carriers, including overseas ones.

George Hotz of Glen Rock, N.J., confirmed Friday that he had unlocked an iPhone and was using it on T-Mobile's network, the only major U.S. carrier apart from AT&T that is compatible with the iPhone's cellular technology. In a video posted to his blog, he holds an iPhone that displays...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time befor esomeone figured it out. i heard the kid interviewed on a local station today and at this point its more than just flipping a few switches. It involved both a hardware modification as well as software. The kid claims its completely legal under the DMCA and he has already posted how to do it out on the net. I realize tha Apple was paied a bundle by ATT but it yet again exposes one fo the issues Apple has had in the past esp. with its PC's. By limiting the carrier to just one it has to hurt sales. As they did for so many years with thier mac by ruthlessly refusing to relequish controll over thier hardware it made them expensive and kept numbers down. Heck the last Apple clone I had was back in my Apple II days when i had a Basis 101 with 128K or RAM

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   

The hack, which Hotz posted Thursday to his blog, is complicated and requires skill with both soldering and software. It takes him about two hours to perform. Since the details are public, it seems likely that a small industry may spring up to buy U.S. iPhones, unlock them and send them overseas.

"That's exactly, like, what I don't want," Hotz said. "I don't want people making money off this."

Then why make it public knowledge? Why tell people you know how to do it? It's almost a given that this will go worldwide to other carriers in a matter of months, if not weeks. Who's going to make the money off of it? Anybody who he tells how to do it.

I can see somebody ripping off a truck to get cases of them, hacking them, and shipping them out to the highest bidder overseas.

Also, I may be wrong here, but isn't he subject to criminal charges now for modding/hacking it? Can Apple or AT&T charge him with anything for it? If so, giving out his name wasn't his smartest move.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic

Also, I may be wrong here, but isn't he subject to criminal charges now for modding/hacking it? Can Apple or AT&T charge him with anything for it? If so, giving out his name wasn't his smartest move.

No, only if he sold it for his own profit.

They can try to sue, but would lose, badly.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
i wonder if this kid can hack into my cell phone and give me better reception! This kid is going to have his 15 min. of fame and be forever known as the kid who hacked into an i-phone, and didnt make anything of himself. Sad but true.

kix

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Been using myhacked Iphone as an Iphone and PDA for 3 weeks now and its amazing Ill hack it to work with my service provider for sure....

Wooooooweeeeee!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I know this is an older post but I was searching about the iphone. Anyways. I have ATT and my phone has been "jailbreak" if that's how you properly say it. I guess it's also called unlocked. I do not have an account with ATT but a prepaid account with them. I do not use my phone enough to have a contract and the thought of signing a piece of paper committed to a phone for 2 years with high rates in ridiculous. I would never use what they offer so prepaid is best for me. My phone works great! I have opts to have unlimited messaging, and night/weekend mins. I saw a guy in the mall doing this for iPhone users. Unlocking it opens the phone up to so much more! I dont know why APPLE would block these features they are common features on most basic cell phones. I now have video and can send and receive it, forward text, send pics thorough mms and change backgrounds and so on... I read on some Mac forum that APPLE wasnt too concerned about this since it has boosted their sales, but ATT isnt happy because people without ATT are using it. IDK but I like it~ If I can find that news article I will post it here so you know I am not making it up..

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Also, I may be wrong here, but isn't he subject to criminal charges now for modding/hacking it?

Nope, he just voided his limited warranty. And when it comes to Apple products, it's limited indeed.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Yea, I know that now, I posted that almost two years ago. This thread didn't really need to come back, there can't be anything really more to add.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

Don't blame me buddy, I didn't bump it in the first place. I assumed this was a current article, excuse the hastiness.

new topics

top topics

join