It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony develops battery powered by Sugar!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Sony develops battery powered by Sugar!

www.reuters.com

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony has developed an environmentally-friendly prototype battery that runs on sugars and that can generate enough electricity to power a music player and a pair of speakers.

The bio battery's casing is made of a vegetable-based plastic. It measures 3.9 cm (1.5 inch) along each edge and works by pouring sugar solution into the unit, where enzymes break it down to generate electricity.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
wow nice if sony are pursuing must be something in it .. this has got to be free energy at its best!!! a regenerative source of fuel as long as theres water and the suns still shining its free in my book..

the world is so gonna change over the next 20-30 years and well it should

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 24/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

[edit on 24/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.
Very good news. They say that Sony will mass produce it.
I wonder how it scales up, now it produces only 50 mW, which means you'll need thousands of them to power a light bulb. But its a baby step.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
remember the batteries on mobile phones the were carried in bags for the very first mobile communication devices, yes i agree this is a baby step ..but baby's tend to grow up ...

a freely available, growable energy source! i am suprised this thread hasnt achieved more comments, it blows away stoerns and others free energy claims imho.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Interesting,

Does anyone know how much battery life it would give? I can't help but thing it would be easier to buy normal batteries/ charge an mp3 player up than to either buy/ make a sugar solution to use. I think the majority of consumers want ease over effort in todays world and I bet it wouldn't take off unless it had a good battery life.

As Quantum Squirrel pointed out though this is a step in a new direction and the technology is bound to get better and easier to use. Let's see.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It would be great if this works out for Sony

I'm not too sure I could cope with the increase in ants though!

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'd like a big mac and an order of fries and my boom box needs a coke.

new topics

top topics

join