It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France Helping Arabs Go Nuclear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

France Helping Arabs Go Nuclear

www.israelnationalnews.com

France is acting to help several Arab countries establish nuclear programs, a senior French Foreign Ministry official has admitted. The official claims the move is being made to help ”wean the region off oil” which the Arabs have in abundance. France has forged a nuclear cooperation deal with Libya and is in discussions with Algeria and the United Arab Emirates.

The French claim that Arab nuclear technology would be used only for "peaceful civil programs," but Israel fears they will be used
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Its bad enough one or maybe two middle eastern countries are nuclear but helping more to become nuclear will probably end up in a nightmare scenario in the future if they start to make nuclear weapons.

www.israelnationalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:02 AM
link   
If France is going to help Arab nations or any other nation develop nuclear programs, that's the most mind numbing blunder I've ever heard of in my lifetime with the only exception being maybe the Manhattan project.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by fweshcawfee

Would you rather they develop it themselves without supervision? You can't stop the transfer of technology. Best you can do is control the rate it gets transfered.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Some knee jerk reactions here without seeing exactly what the French are providing.

From what I have read and heard, the French will be providing Nuclear technology that cannot be used to produce weaponry and will be done under supervision.

Given that oil will run out some day and also those regions face crippling water shortages, what else would you propose? They need the Nuclear power for desalination, so that they can improve their own countries. In the end, a developed Arab world will lead to a massive reduction in Islamic fanaticism.

I see Israel has it's knickers in a twist anyway. Hypocrites.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This has nothing to do with nuclear weapons. France is not helping these nations construct a nuclear weapons program.

Plus, the French will be in charge of the operation and probably with EU guidance as well.

I don't see a problem here.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Some knee jerk reactions here without seeing exactly what the French are providing.

Well said and so true israel is just crying wolf, as usual. There are so many reasons to bring some of these countries up to date in the nuclear age and provide a safe & reliable source of energy. Didn't the US provide hotbeds like India with nuclear technology. israel is like a small yappy dog in this case and just needs a boot in the arse to go away.

brill

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
The countries in question has signed the NPT - and want LPW type reactors for power (same as Iran has - and cannot be used for weapons production)

Once again Israel are being all `alarmist` and will next say the french are akin to hitler and there anti-semetic.

you wait.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:51 AM
link   
More like a whole leg reaction, not just the knee.

None of you can say for a fact it's a good decision, you don't know that and probably won't know for sure in your lifetime. Only history will prove if this was wise or foolish decision and if it does lead to an eventual catastrophy it'll probably be after we're all long dead and buried.

Nuclear technology is still nuclear technology, you don't have to hand over blueprints for an atomic bomb for it to be potentially catostrophic. The airplane started as a simple glider and the technology drawn from that lead to jumbo airliners and supersonic jets, case in point?

Well, all I can do is speculate just like all any of you can do is speculate. But I don't think it was a smart idea for France to start doing this. Hopefully I'm wrong but if I'm proven right it'll likely be long after I'm dead.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
and you share the same intelligence by posting a pointless remark.

-----------------------
deleted quote

[edit on 24/8/07 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Care to elaborate on your opinion, or are you just trolling?

Also, I can't believe someone gave you a star for that post....

-------------------------
deleted quote

[edit on 24/8/07 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Does this means that now US will have to add more countries to axis of evil list and tag their government terrorist groups or they are already in the list.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
well, i know someone out there will disagree with me and on other days i may disagree with myself on this one but here goes...

JUST because a country is populated by arabs, and JUST because most arabs are muslims, we can NOT assume that jsut because they have a nuclear power plant taht they automatically want to start cranking out fat men.

nuclear power is cleaner emmissions wise than oil or coal plants in most cases, and as someone said we WILL run out of oil one day.

so just because some of the more fanatic elements of some arab/muslim countries want to kill us we have to doom the rest of the middle east and africa to dark ages living conditions?

i guess i have to say that so long as there is IAEA oversight i dont have a huge problem with this...for now.

unless i dont remember correctly, dont you need a breeder reactor to turn uranium into plutonium? so if they dont modify their equipment and as long as the fuel rods remain accounted for etc...why not apply the "innocent until proven guilty" mantra?

now one could say the same about iran, but in that case i would just like to remind everyone just how many times their leader has gone on record pretty much saying flat out he'd love to see israel wiped out? and how many times is one allowed to scream "death to america" before we'd want to reconsider allowing them nuclear tech of any kind?

just my early morning random thoughts.

/ramble mode

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
If they Arabs were smart , they would work with the russians and US based thorium power ( www.thoriumpower.com ) to build modified russian reactors that run off of thorium based fuel instead of uranium. Thorium fuel produces no weapons usable meterial, and less waste volume with a lower halflife.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

From what I have read and heard, the French will be providing Nuclear technology that cannot be used to produce weaponry and will be done under supervision.

Given that oil will run out some day and also those regions face crippling water shortages, what else would you propose? They need the Nuclear power for desalination, so that they can improve their own countries. In the end, a developed Arab world will lead to a massive reduction in Islamic fanaticism.

I couldn't agree more (with all due respect to Israel)

Clearly to develop efficient nuclear weaponery you have to be well formed & it takes literally YEARS.
Civil / Army 's nuclear are 2 different things
Secondly, it will be supervised by the nuclear organism (can't remember its name) you can be certain of that
Third these centrals will be exclusively(that's what i heard) built by french engineers / scientists (no "competence transfert" this probably means nothing for you but in the nuclear field it means a lot)

For instance "we" could have had a big deal with China a couple of months ago but it was cancelled because the Chinese when you sell them something it has to be the whole package, meaning "how to build the centrals,... all the details"
This is dangerous of course because once you have the knowledge everything is possible then.And you know how he chinese are.

In short, i'm affraid there's nothing to cry wolf here

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Never mind my previous message about France being stupid. I misread the topic and thought that France was giving Iran support in it's nuclear program. I don't know why I thought that, but again I'm sorry.

I don't really like the idea of giving Arab nations nuclear technology, just because I don't want to see us getting hit by Islamic extremists again (yes I know not all Middle Eastern Muslims are "evil", and I have several Muslim friends), but I don't really see that much of a problem unless France decides to give aid to the wrong countries (i.e. Iran.)

(Again, I am sorry for the previous message. My post was not well thought out in any way, and I jumped to conclusions when I saw the words France, Helping, Arabs, and Nuclear. My intention was not to post a one lined troll message, but I was outraged when I read the topic (that for some reason made me think France was giving Iran support in its nuclear program, which I am strongly against.)

[edit on 25-8-2007 by MHSdefend]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
A light pressure water cooled reactor (the type built in Iran) is unbelieveably hard to use for the `breeder` cycle to breed plutonium for bombs - this is why so many countries offer the type as nuclear power.

and why do you not want arab and persian contries to have nuclear power? it would slow down the use of oil in the region.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Well France isn't the only one to supply potentially unstable countries with reactors...

"Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, sat on the board of ABB Combustion Engineering from 1990 through 2000. During seven of these ten years, ABB aggressively sought to secure a contract with North Korea to build nuclear reactors."

tinwiki.org...

Or the UK secretly helping Israel produce nuclear weapons:

"Britain secretly sold Israel a key ingredient for its nuclear programme in 1958, according to official documents obtained by BBC News.

Papers in the British National Archives show a deal was done to export 20 tonnes of heavy water for about £1.5m.

This was vital for plutonium production at the top-secret Dimona nuclear reactor in Israel's Negev desert.

No "peaceful use only" condition was placed on its use. Officials said imposing one would be "over zealous". "

news.bbc.co.uk...

Also there is this little gem known as the Tehran research reactor-which the USA built for the Iranians in the 60's.

"In the heart of Tehran sits one of Iran's most important nuclear facilities, a dome-shaped building where scientists have conducted secret experiments that could help the country build atomic bombs. It was provided to the Iranians by the United States.

The Tehran Research Reactor represents a little-known aspect of the international uproar over the country's alleged weapons program. Not only did the U.S. provide the reactor in the 1960s as part of a Cold War strategy, America also supplied the weapons-grade uranium needed to power the facility—fuel that remains in Iran and could be used to help make nuclear arms.

As the U.S. and other countries wrestle with Iran's refusal this week to curb its nuclear capabilities, an examination of the Tehran facility sheds light on the degree to which the United States has been complicit in Iran developing those capabilities."

www.globalresearch.ca...

Can anyone smell "engineered blowback"?

In light of the above examples,is what the French are doing today that serious?

new topics

top topics

join