It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Encourage New Members By Posting A Reply To Their Threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Sure, a lot of new members post a topic that's been discussed before, but they don't have a history of past topics that long time members have.

Repetitiveness is part of the nature of a discussion board, but a reply to a new member, even if it directs them to another current thread, it gives them a feeling of accomplishment that encourages them to go on and start new topics.

I hope members that have been around for a while will take the time to reply to a new member's thread just to make them feel welcome.

Everyone can post a little hello in the "Introduction" threads , and take a minute to reply to threads in "Recent Posts" that have zero replies, even if it's just to give the member a boost or direct them to information already on the boards.
(there's nothing worse than starting a thread, and then you get no replies)

Let new members know you care about their opinions, flag the thread if it's worthy, and give them a star if merited. And put a tag at the bottom of the thread. (keep tagging folks)

These simple actions that only take a moment of your time can only help ATS grow and strengthen our membership.

I guess my point is that if we make new members feel welcome they will want to come back and contribute and expand our unique corner of the web.

EDIT: sp

[edit on 24/8/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I support this. Even old time members find it frustrating if their posts aren't commented on, so imagine how it is for those who've finally worked up the courage to register or have already registered but is now only working up the courage to come out of lurking and finally post that first post, to find that nobody seems to have any interest in what they have to say. It kinda sucks, doesn't it?

Yes, yes. Perhaps all old members should make it a point to reply to a new member's thread at least once a day? Give and ye shall receive?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I do try to make it a point to give a gentle nudge in the direction of a thread that discusses the same thing, but was created before for new members. I'm of the opinion that, given the chance, one can learn something from everyone, no matter who they may be. What makes ATS such a great place for this is the ability to share those things with others. However, if we won't support the "newbies", then we're depriving everyone of the potential for growth in knowledge.

What a pity that is.
to this one. Oh, and I'm flaggin it too!!

Good on ya man!!

TheBorg

[Edit: Can't star in here.]

[edit on 24-8-2007 by TheBorg]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder

(there's nothing worse than starting a thread, and then you get no replies)

Been there, done that. I got threads that still haven't been replied to. I say to myself: "Ah well, at least the truth is in here now!"
Then, someone can dig it out from the ats archives some day in the future...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Good idea, I remember being very nervous about posting and would assume that at least some new members feel the same.

Another thing I've noticd is the drop off in older members saying things like "oh, your new here, what do you know" and that only discouraged people from posting. I'm so glad that issue has been resolved, and I hope ATS continues to grow, with new people offering alternative viewpoints etc.

ATS = best site on the web

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   
this reminds of the scurry to the ocean that the millions of newly hatched
sea turtles do.

its a futile thing to think about helping a single 50cent size turtle to make it to the relative safety of the sea.
Don't you know that the vast majority who get eaten by the gulls and larger fish, serve a necessary function in their demise?

also;
pumping up the traffic at the expense of meaningful content is just another form of spam, imho.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

also;
pumping up the traffic at the expense of meaningful content is just another form of spam, imho.

I really don't think of new members to ATS as gull bait, or immature hatchlings for the rest of us to feed on. I also don't expect anyone to add drivel to a thread.

I'm suggesting members that know their way around could post meaningful content to a new member's thread to promote additional discussion. By adding to their thread we foster a feeling of welcome to people that have just discovered the ATS boards.

It's a very simple way to help ATS expand, and that's what we all want isn't it ?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Aw man!
I've been here for a couple years and most of my threads still get no replies

Seriously though, to add to your idea, one sure way to make new members feel welcome is to actually welcome them when they post in the introductions forum. It's also an easy way to boost your post count

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
You know what AD?

I must say that following some of your posts, you are one member that really cares and thinks about the betterment of ATS...

I agree with you here, and it is little enough to do even if one is not overly interested in the topic.

I must admit I find myself skimming over some of the new members that I do not regularly associate with on here. I will try and do more to make them feel welcome.

GREAT POST

Semper

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well thanks everyone.

It was just something that I had been noticing quite a bit, and a few moments of our time can make a big difference to a new member. So get out there and say Hi to a newbie. We're a pretty friendly bunch here on ATS, it's something to be proud of, and something we should show to new members.

I can't believe I got 4 applauses for this thread

Thank-you Mods for the kudoes, I need the points.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yeah....good thread....good idea...will do

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well how thoughtful, yes please, help out us gull bait.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I can't believe I got 4 applauses for this thread

SAY WHAT!!!!!!!!

I got zero applauses for my coffee colonic thread which was waaaaaaaaaay more helpful to new members than this thread.

j/k...........good thread.

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I see the problem Dr Love, coffee is supposed to go in the top and come out the bottom.
You just had it backwards.

Now everyone take a minute and say Hi to someone in the "Introductions" thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   

That is great advice
I think the welcome wagon here at ATS is one of the finest I have had the chance to be a part of

Becasue of the great welcome I got, it made me really feel like IM a part of something bigger that helps and contributes to this life!!!
I love it, and am humblly honored at the same time

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Good post anxietydisorder, i remember my first couple of threads struggling and i nearly didnt bother coming back, until i got some nice words of encouragement from everybody's favorite ATS mom.

I'll usually try to say g'day when i see an introduction post, i might try a little bit harder now.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I've been practicing what I preach, and I'm seeing results.

I've posted in a few new threads with one or no replies and watched a few threads grow to a full page. I've sparked debate with new members and seen multiple replies come in from other members.

It's such a simple thing, and yet it works.
It's good for the new member, and best of all, it's good for the entire ATS community.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I have too... One particular member has been having a rough time of things, so I've been giving them my close attention to help them get acclimated to the site. It's not easy sometimes, even for vets like us to help out the noobies here. I find it interesting to learn something from someone new, even if it's how I can further temper myself. I always love a challenge.

TheBorg

top topics

join