It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

here's an interesting & thought provoking take on that massive 'void'
blogs.salon.com...

now If one reverses the contellation name, we come up with SUNADIRE...and that may be stretched or emphasis made which gives us different meanings Suna-Dire or Sun a Dire might be two possibilities....

Name: Eridanus
eh-RID-ah-nuss
Meaning: River (Proper)
Abbreviation: Eri
Genitive: Eridani
Visible in Latitudes: 60° thru -90°
Viewing Season: Winter
Best Seen In: December, 9:00 pm
Transit Date: October 16
Right Ascension: 3.92 hours
Declination: -15.8 degrees
Area: 1137.919 sq. degrees

means River i dont think any Sun conections marry because of the name .

when u start moving letters about or adding up numbers u can litterally arrive at any result you want.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It would seem logical that in a system where every action has an equal and opposite reaction, that if we have areas that are basically singularities, we would also have regions that are the opposite, voids. The universe, as it seems to me is like soup. For comedic value, lets say chicken and stars. You have denser spots (chicken, stars, planets, dust clouds) and not so dense spots (the broth, interstellar space, the area between a politicians ears, etc). As you let it sit for a while, you get denser and not as dense areas in the "broth" as well.

With the general theory of the expansion of the universe, theres bound to be areas where the density gets very low for a while

or could this be like the universes own personal ozone layer?

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
that would be cool if we found out it was a very advanced energy shield made by an advanced race so no one can enter there space.There is still so much we don't know about the universe there could be trillions and trillions of places out there like that.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I don't think that the universe is only 26 billion light years accross.I think it's unlimited there is no end to the universe.It's so mind boggeling.Sorry for my bad typing.
peace

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
^ Maybe the matter that occupies space(The universe is the matter that occupies space) is 26billion light years across...however, that's an incorrect value man has made due to wrong calculations. This hole is said to be 20billion light years acorss I believe(Correct me if I'm wrong), leaving 6 billion lights years for everything else. LOL...seems illogical.

But to know exactly what that voidness is would be something to know.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Its not a hole in space, it's a large area in space that has very little matter to occupy it.

There is no story here

These voids are quite common. They may contain up to a few galaxies, or very little to no matter. The point is that if you were to find an average displacement for matter in a void, it would fall far short to that of a normal galaxy, galaxy-cluster, or filament.

So lets say a normal galaxy contains 1,000,000,000 stars, and that 100 or so of these galaxies form a super-cluster of galaxies.. A void of equal size would contain less than 1% of the matter in this super-cluster.

That's why they're called a void. The news article says "hole" to draw in the readers attention, because "hole" sounds more mysterious than "void," even though they mean the same thing, in this context. The problem is that such wild speculation is being carelessly thrown around, most of it completely wrong, some criminally ignorant of reality, that I've lost faith in the credibility of these forums.

If you need examples, just flip through the pages of this thread. Once people read the article, the first thing they do is make a post about what they think is going on, without doing any research on the subject of their own. There are suitable explanation for this story, but I'm sorry to disappoint you by saying it doesn't involve space-time rips, black holes, the end of the world/universe, aliens, CIA cover ups, or UFO's. Its a cosmology story that has been taken completely out of context.

If this is a forum for sci-fi buffs to draw inspiration from fictional explanations and accounts for the "goings on" of the universe, then there is nothing to be ashamed of here. However, if there is suppose to be any truth in these pages, then this tread has failed miserably.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by electronQM]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
perhaps this is the center of the universe....

Or as Um_Gazz stated above, it could even be sucking all matter in and over time will be the next explosing causing the next big bang.

Maybe this "void" is the answer to the question "What is the cause of the big bang?" think of it like a cloud absorbing water untill it's so saturated it cannot hold anymore.

Only this cloud explodes when it's saturated. Maybe in 2012 it will blow!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
Now here's another idea - i guess. If it is growing, could that maybe not be another universe colliding with ours? Imagine two bubbles comming together. Where they attached and come closer so the point of contact becomes one and grows as they start to press together and become one. Interesting post none the less.

I know this is a late reply to this old post but I had to say it was cool and I couldn't finish reading all of those posts
. Maybe universes are similar to galaxies, meaning there are more, and they are spread out within something else (superverse?), and maybe one universe is colliding with ours, similar to galaxies colliding. But let's not get carried away, the scale leans both ways.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
The Andromeda Galaxy is located, from our perspective, in the constellation Andromeda. However the galaxy is obviously not actually in the neighborhood of the stars which make up the constellation (the stars themselves having very large distances between eachother and us).

The area of sky where the void can be seen is located within a constellation. The void does not really rest among those stars. It is actually significantly larger than any known galaxy.

Well said.
But remember, perhaps the "void" is much closer than we think and is actually much smaller than any known galaxy?
That would make a lot more sense and would allow our current laws to still apply and no non-reality "spot".
Ah ha! I just saved the day and millions of scientist's jobs!

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This may be off-topic, but why isn't all matter in the universe evenly spread out? If it all started from the same dot and then expanded, it should all be evenly spread out. I think this gap was put there on purpose just to show us that the big bang never happened. ...hmmm... mind-boggling.

Correct me if i'm wrong at your own risk, because this is semi-off-topic.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Maybe we are looking at this all wrong...I mean us and the universe. Maybe we are just tiny particles of atoms in a gigantic being and many of the galaxies are just molecules. With that being said then perhaps this void in space as we know or call it is a form of galactic cancer and is going to slowly eat away at the universe.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Perhaps it is merely a ripple in the pond, a dimensional wave that will engulf eberything... which in effect causes a transcendence of the prior ripple.

If every dimension is in the end consumed into a higher frequency, perhaps it would explain the Mayan ending of the age.

Ripples upon the sea of time and space.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
By the time we actually figure out what this "Void" is it'll allready be to late to do anything about it.

All we have is theories, that's it, we really don't know what it is, our understanding of the universe is limited by our 3D style thinking.

In some cases 2D thinking if you toss in "Educated" type people who think in the box and not outside of it.

Only way to find out what the void really is, is to go there, but we can't (well, we're told we can't anyway, but that's another story.) with our current tech, once we have the tech to get there it may be too late.

It's a strange universe we live in after all.

- OR -

It's mearly a very big empty space and it's as intereseting as watching paint dry, ho-hum, now where are the Klingons & Vulcans & what not ?

- W -
* Just hope folks will keep tabs on this thing see if it does anything *

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
My God the media and scientis working toghether, if scientis don't know how do the everyday people suppose to know, why make it news, I tell you wants going the End of the World scare tatics.

Big deal if their is nothing, not every space in the universe is going to have stars and galaxy, since scientist don't know my guess is no better then theirs,

To understand the Big Bang, think or imagine what happens when you Mix water and oil. You will see million of ball of oil uniting with other balls of oil, same thing universe is mix right now, you see million of stars and Galaxies.

Eventually scientis will come with and answere the mystery and they are stupendously smart. aahh the media at thier best.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 04:13 AM
link   
someone suggested that the big bang should of evenly spread out, well i just thought thats probably correct to start with, but after a while gravity would of formed into existance and black holes too fromthe gravity so that would affect the spread of the big bang push and make it all un-even yes?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
We will more than likely never find out what it is. Right now pretty much everyone on this forum could think up a different theory. It might be any of those or it might be something even stranger. It might even just be a spot on the lens

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like an eye? It's the right shape and you can even make out an iris and pupil. Big brother is watching you!

As for those who think people are overreacting and scientists are making something out of nothing, take a close look at it. Yes, there are voids/empty spaces in between stars and galaxies, but this thing has a shape. It is an "empty" hole surrounded by matter. The void between galaxies/stars is galaxies/stars surrounded by space NOT the other way around.

As for those who say that it "disproves the Big Bang", who says it wasn't formed after the Big Bang. That is of course IF the Big Bang happened. I doubt we'll ever know for sure.

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Lannock]

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Lannock]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
Personally, i think this is what happens when you screw around with the fabric of the universe too much.

Just *BANG* and your section of the universe is gone...somewhere....or completely destroyed. Leaving a gaping hole.

Does anyone find the irony or perhaps disturbing correlation in the fact that we found this just a few months before the supercollider in Geneva is set to be turned on? The one that everyone is afraid has a probability, however slim, of destroying the universe?

Makes you think.

I hate you so much right now. I've been trying to avoid thinking about that

Oh, and someone mentioned it'd be a lonely trip across it in a spaceship... I can see the signpost now - last fuel/water/toilet for 1 billion lightyears

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Entreri]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Entreri
Oh, and someone mentioned it'd be a lonely trip across it in a spaceship... I can see the signpost now - last fuel/water/toilet for 1 billion lightyears

And the next signpost after that says something like the following:

"Now entering the Twilight Zone. Please watch out for rogue corn patches, and please make sure not to look out the wing window."

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In all truth though, the matter, or the lack thereof in this case is the fact that we've not seen any void this large ever. It's an anomaly that needs to be explained. I just wonder how long it's going to take us to find out.

TheBorg

posted on Nov, 12 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Great topic, first of. I'm loving this site more and more every day even through the conspiracy theory stuff. Mayan calenders and crap, come on, think about it, maybe either they saw 2012 as the end of our existance in one galaxy cause they were bright enough to detect our merger with another... maybe they got tired of adding years, good god, they were a ways ahead of their time to begin with, the calender outlived the civilization

OK, down to business...
Someone posted the size of the universe to be 20-26 billion light years...

"The universe is at least 156 billion light-years wide."
Read the whole article HERE
Great read

Now, yeah, it's nothing, but it's HUGE nothing, and should certainly be investigated.

As for matter needing to be evenly spaced, set off a grenade, the shrapnel will not land evenly space, I promise.

Now, big bang...perhaps this could be the origin of the universe. With an explosion as significant as the big bang, ground zero might just be baron for a little while, all signs of matter, of anything blown outward...these 'images' are, as has been pointed out, 8 billion years old (correct, this anomaly is 8 billion light years from earth?) and is 1 billion light years in size. This is SIGNIFICANT, even if the Universe is 156 billion lightyears across - this is 1/156th of the universe...THAT'S HUGE.

I don't believe it's a cloaking device, the aftermath of any galactic war, or even a baron mining zone tapped of all resources (though a nifty notion), I really think it's just either ground-zero for the big bang or just a chaotic void left in the bang's wake yet to be filled (or probably even filled by now...8 billion years later...

Remember, the universe is about 13.7 billion years old (see the same link above for that referance,) so, 8 billion years ago, the 'bang' was only about 5-6 billion years old. All the matter blown away would still probably be working it's way back towards ground-zero... the void would probably be much larger if this is the case if we were looking 4 billion years ago.

See the image link below for a VERY ROUGH diagram of what I'm getting at.

"http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g180/mmould03/explanation.jpg">

Anyway, just my two cents

~Matt

posted on Dec, 20 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Black holes don't emit radiation directly but nearby objects ,when sucked by a black hole, will emit some radiation.

As for this gap in the Universe...maybe it's where God lives?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join