It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:31 AM
link   
It is probably not a black hole or any other massy object. The microwave background cold spot that led to the voids discovery is a result of the absence of matter.

>
The radiation still exists however. So that doesn't bode well for glitch in the Matrix, cloaking device, or God's anus.

[edit on 25-8-2007 by apc]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
So in other words it's something boring and mundane and not all that interesting.

Gosh, what a dull universe we live in

Here I was hopeing it'd be something so far out there, it'd make us rethink what we think we know about the universe.

Like a zone of unreality, yea, that'd make us sit up and take notice.

Quote : The universe is not only as strange as we can Imagine it, it's stranger THEN we can imagine it.

- W -
* Sigh, I so want that to be the ultimate truth of the universe *

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Woulfe

Here I was hopeing it'd be something so far out there, it'd make us rethink what we think we know about the universe.

its nothing how is this boring ? describe nothing to me ..can you? and dont say its the absence of evrything thats not describing it thats telling me what it isn't :p

imho it has to be something its just that we cannot see/detect the something whatever that may be. this thread is full of intresting ideas what it may be ? unreality hmmmm doesn't that just mean a different reality? the void is clearly there we can see it.

i still like the wifes idea that a super civilization has learned how to turn matter into energy directly and this is a big quarry pit , a part of the universe they have sucked dry by mining it to death

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
^ OR ^

They made an anti-matter bomb, a small one mind you, and BOOM !

Ghost Aliens : Oops, okay that wasn't the result we expected....

I still like my zone of unreality idea.

Might be why we can't see anything there as it can't be seen by any tech, one has to use one's imagination to see what's in there.

~ Uses his Imagination & sees something that's WAY OUT THERE !
~

- W -
* Knowleged is limited, Imagination is unlimited *

[edit on 8/25/2007 by Woulfe]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I am still inclined to believe it's just a region that is at a 90 degree angle to 3 dimensional space, a tesseract in space, which, to our perspective, would be a "void"

tesseract

it would explain the properties quite well, I think

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
A Tesseract Zone.....

Hum, no wonder we can't see it

We can only detect things in our limited 3D way of thinking.

Well, not sci-fi fans we tend to think so far outside the box we're like "There is a box ?"

- W -
* You must simply face the truth Neo, That there is no box. *

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Well after looking about on google and looking at star maps. This has got me confused. The scientists are contradicting themselves. They state they have found a gaping hole (void).

Cos­mic voids are ar­eas lack­ing both nor­mal ma­te­ri­al, such as stars, ga­lax­ies and gas, and the mys­te­ri­ous “dark mat­ter” that is al­so com­mon in the un­iverse. Voids seem to be rar­er the big­ger they are, as­tron­o­mers said.

Then they go onto say it's in the area con­stella­t­ion Erid­a­nus, south­west of the con­stella­t­ion Ori­on which in itself is a star which has a system of it's own. So there are matter, stars, and other bodies in that area.
It's not completely empty as these group of scientists are claiming.

I've looked at skycharts using redshift 5 and it certainly doesn't show any gaping holes which lack matter etc. In actual fact there's quite alot of star systems around eridanus.

Maybe some astronomical buff can please explain it to me.

After further googling:

What some of these websites are reporting just isn't true. Sounds like these scientists are contradicting themselves and talking nonesense if you ask me.

www.canada.com...

Mr. Rudnick can't say the region is absolutely empty. Matter in this void may be like water in a desert: It's there, but very, very scarce.

But why is the empty space there (or not there, if you look at it that way)? Because of gravity, the astronomer says. In the very young universe, matter was distributed very evenly all over, he says.

So which is it. Is it empty space or not?

Star map of Eridanus
www.hawastsoc.org...
canopus.physik.uni-potsdam.de.../Eridanus_Bubble_Halpha_1200

Here's an interesting blog I came across while googling that some of you space buffs might be interested in.

riofriospacetime.blogspot.com...

[edit on 25-8-2007 by kindred]

apc

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
kindred,

You seem to be thinking 2-dimensionally.

The Andromeda Galaxy is located, from our perspective, in the constellation Andromeda. However the galaxy is obviously not actually in the neighborhood of the stars which make up the constellation (the stars themselves having very large distances between eachother and us).

The area of sky where the void can be seen is located within a constellation. The void does not really rest among those stars. It is actually significantly larger than any known galaxy.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yeah I know what you mean APC. It's difficult trying to imagine the area in 3d from a 2d map.

Well their findings are certainly not definite or conclusive as the scientist who made the discovery Mr. Rudnick said himself that he can't say the region is absolutely empty. Obviously further research needs to be done.

Not wanting to go off topic, but since we are talking about the Eridanus system. Didn't Billy Meier claim thats where some of these bad ass Aliens were from. So maybe the lack of matter is due to the use of some devastating weapon as someone mentioned earlier. It's certainly unusual that this void is so big. That's if the scientists findings are correct.

[edit on 25-8-2007 by kindred]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
The question of what this void is is a lot more complex than just simply Dark Energy gone mad...

This VOID is estimated to be around 8 Billion light years away... which means that the observations made today are 8 billion years old...

We need a series of observations to measure any growth...

If for example the void were to be expanding at a rate of 1 light year, then in 8 billion years this region of space would be absorbed...

That is of course if you subscribe to the standard cosmic model.

Personally I think this discovery is not as unexpected or unusual, the probability of the existence of a large void was never going to be 0.

The very definition of Universe is that all things are possible, all things exist, or at least the potential for all things to exist.

More later...

All the best,

NeoN HaZe

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Neon! Haven't seen you post anything lately. Glad to see you're still around.

sorry....messed up the "reply to".

[edit on 8/25/2007 by darkbluesky]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbluesky

Hey there, Darkbluesky,

My work load has kept me away from posting, but been around lurking...

So many subjects to post about and so little time to author any threads.

One thing you can certainly be sure of, I'll never leave ATS.

ATS is as much a part of me as is my exuberance for pushing back the boundaries of our knowledge and understanding.

Glad you are o.k. and all the best

NeoN HaZe

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Star Trek Voyager ahd an episode about "the expanse" or "The void"

They found it along time before the U of M.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Interesting hole,

they might be dealing with something a bit more complex than a black hole.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
O.K. someone is deleting most of my posts. That is getting annoying.

Also can anyone think strait? A tesseract is a cube like structure. How can a blank spot be a tesseract if a tesseract is an object?

Also I provided a name for this phenomenon. Its called a Star Fissure. Listen to the word STAR FISSURE. I'll explain why we are calling it that.

First, Its not because of the fact that its from a video game, its because of the fact that fissure means a tear or break. So STAR FISSURE means a tear or break in the stars. Which fits perfectly into the category of the topic. Secondly I dont care if the words STAR FISSURE isnt scientifically excepted, they dont have a name for it, just a "hole in the universe". What else are we supposed to call it? Deffinently not a tesseract.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Lol its the "Nothing" from the never ending story! We just have to believe in our imagination and it will go away. make a wish! even two!

Great find as allways OP!

Falcor and Bastian are our only hope!!

Seriously though this is pretty amazing. I was just watching a show on tv last week about black holes and imploding stars and the such. Needless to say a black hole will turn you into Reed Richards, but I'm not sure what would happen if you got to close to this 'Nothing'.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The area of blank space is where the ET races harvested dark matter. Or maybe there was some sort of super intergalactic war there lol. All joking aside I am sure there are many more areas just like this in space. If not this may be the location where the "big bang" may have happened. Or maybe 2 or 3 super massive black holes ate each other up. Who knows??? Very intriging. It may be empty now but in a million or billion years or so I am sure a galaxy or 2 may be drifting through this plane and as this happens there will be other voids in space opening up.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
here's an interesting & thought provoking take on that massive 'void'
blogs.salon.com...

the 1st part is woo-woo metaphysical,

but the 2nd part by the science writer discloses items that were't found in the original story/report....

one is as Neon Haze pointed out, the 'void' is about 6-10 billion Light-Years from Earth...
two, is that this gigantic 'void' has not really been visually explored yet,
the 'structure' is a result of temperature readings that are 'colder' than it should be...which implies that there is rare or an absence of stars in that vast Billion-Light-Year volume of Space.

three, and this might be kinda eerie-significant,
the gigantic 'void' can be found if one locates the contellation ERIDANUS
now If one reverses the contellation name, we come up with SUNADIRE...and that may be stretched or emphasis made which gives us different meanings Suna-Dire or Sun a Dire might be two possibilities....

Could there have been a a Sun in Distress? which could have been when a singularity blew up eons ago?
and pushed all the material universe away from its event horizon?

objective reality & subjective realities are mixed up in this particular spot,
& an object only growing at the speed of light would be unmeasurable from our point in space with our technologies on hand today

thanks,

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I had first read about this mid last week. Its really interesting discovery, especially after seeing this guy on msn give statistics for the odds of all of us living in some giant computere program (20 percent odds according to this article from NY times) nytimes article.
But anyway thats besides the point, I noticed alot of people saying that this is a black hole, I didnt read every post so someone may have addressed this already. The first article I read stated it is in fact not a black hole. Couldn't find the same article but heres a link to the one on msn that says the same thing. Just wondering if those who thought this actually took the time to read up on it.

The hole is nearly a billion light-years across. It is not a black hole, which is a small sphere of densely packed matter. Rather, this one is mostly devoid of stars, gas and other normal matter, and it's also strangely empty of the mysterious "dark matter" that permeates the cosmos. Other space voids have been found before, but nothing on this scale.

MSN VOID IN SPACE

And I dont intend on sounding like an jerk if thats how I come off, just making sure all facts are reported. Also the original article said that a hawaiian(

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
And also cause i'm obsessive compulsive, I had to put this part that I forgot, If I remember right the first article said the scientists who have been studying these occurrences believe it has somthing to with the pull from ... I really dont remember from what... other planets or somthing like that somewhere along those lines. Kinda opposite of a black hole right? I dont know too much about them myself but i think that may be correct. Ya know one sucks the other just gets sucked, similiar to Bush vs Clinton.... Sorry political humor thats not funny and in the wrong place.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join