It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Well seeing as the Universe is a vacuum ( a hole), and the actual material in it being the Universe its not really a surprise.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
According to the article the astronomers measured the gravitational forces of the region and found it to essentially be zero.

The astronomers said the region even appeared to lack dark matter, which cannot be seen directly but is usually detected by measuring gravitational forces.

That rules out:

dark matter
blackholes
cloaked areas
exotic matter
etc.

This area is truly empty of any substance known or thought to exist in our universe.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The Borg, yes, the ancients, seers, prophets, wisemen, were just trying to understand the universe too, IMHO, that is why we can still learn from them.

They may have know more then us.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   

This area is truly empty of any substance known or thought to exist in our universe.

The great mystery is not going to reveal itself,

About it being the dwelling place of god, ancient men pondered these thoughts.

1 Kg.8:12, 2 Chronicles 6:1
1Kgs.8
[12] Then Solomon said, "The LORD has set the sun in the heavens,
but has said that he would dwell in thick darkness.
Psalm 18:11
He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
Psalm 97:2
Clouds and darkness are round about him.

D

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   

sketchy....

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well sketchy is all I got,

Apparently sketchy is all any of us have,

It's all a great mystery.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I am getting it is a space generator. I like seeing these new finds, it gives creditbilty to life, is experienced in a hole.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

maybe its a wormhole or why not a rip in our time into another time or dimension or both.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Considering the immeasurable size of the universe, this void space
is likely only a speck of emptiness in the overall creation. There
may be thousands of these voids, but so far only one has been
found. I dare say that mankind will never ever know more than
a fraction of what is out there, both seen and unseen. Maybe
only those who have died are free to explore and comprehend
God's wonders of creation.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Possible Theories.

Taken from the book "Parallel Worlds'

Chaotic Inflation: A version of inflation, proposed by Andrei Linde, whereby inflation occurs at random. This means that universes can 'bud off' other universes in a continual, chaotic fashion, creating a multiverse. Chaotic inflation is one way to solve the problem of ending inflation, since we now have the random generation of inflated universes of all types.

It could be that this could be the end/start of another connected universe.

In physics we have the 'uncertainty priciple', Which basically means that it might take an astronomically large amount of time, but you might eventually say....randomly teleport half way across the universe.

Now I can't remember, or find for that matter the basis for this priniple but I believe it has to do with the 4 universal forces and the theory of the big bang, being a unified particle that went through the effect of 'tunneling', thus letting forces leak out and spread outward creating the expanding universe as is theorized.

Basically the 4 forces are:
The strong nuclear force: It is charaterised as the force that binds the nucleus of an atom together. It keeps the particles jumping around inside from escaping.

The weak nuclear force, it allows nuclear decay, allows the nucleus to fall apart since it is not strong enough to hold it together.

The electromagnetic force, characterised as the electricity and magnetism relation to particles.

And gravity.

Physicists, theorize that these 4 forces work together inside atoms, but they have yet to prove the gravity factor, apparently, according to the "Standard Model'.

But anyways, particles bounce around inside the nucleus, as the strong nuclear force keeps them in, but theres still a chance that one particle might slip out, this is 'tunneling'. You take in concideration the rate at which the particles smash against the nucleus (very often, and very fast), and it becomes apparent that tunneling is rare, probably like a 0.0001 chance of happenig, but there still is a very small chance that it will happen, depending on the speed of the particles and I guess the strength of the strong nuclear force.

Basically scientists hypothesise that this is happening on a grand scale, and that anything can happen even if it violates physics. This is quantum theory?

If theres some inaccuracies in there please correct me so everyone else can understand.

But basically now that I explained this principle, you'll know what I mean by this phenomenon could just be, simply.. random.

Maybe this spot is just unique, or perhaps its evidence of the multiverse. Who knows.

Just throwin that out there.

EDIT: It is believed wormholes may be formed by a process of tunnelling.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by CavemanDD]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Is it possible that something existed here and some other force "deleted it" from existance??? why else would it be completely empty? thats not natural.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
It could simply be what it is, NOTHING.

How can that be? is the ultimate question here, when all of our known universe contains matter, except this point in space.

What if it is the Alpha and the Omega?

The beginning that paused and now will become the end?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There was a Stark Trek The Next Generation episode where they
encountered a huge absolute void that was designed and inhabited
by a race of advanced beings. Just throwing that out there since
all hypothesis are being entertained.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
um_gazz your doom and gloom is worrying me .. why coz i think your right lol.

lets be honest tho it cant be nothing? i mean a vacuum was thought to be nothing but even that has elementary particles in it ..

i think it has to be something its just we do not have the ability to detect what that something is.

i would like to know ...

..is it expanding...
..is it contracting...
..is it the same shape and size but moving...

Maybe its a giant space beastie devouring galaxy's as it moves along..feeding readdy to give birth to the next universe...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
why else would it be completely empty? thats not natural.

Thats where you may be wrong, believe it or not, we know VERY VERY little about the universe, there is so much to learn out there, therefore how would we know if its natural, when we don't even know what it is.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
ok i'm posting this theory from the wife...

Maybe its a huge alien mine/quarry...

were another species/civilization/huge intergalactic monster has perfected the ability to convert matter/anti matter/ dark matter into energy and this is just a huge area of the universe that has been mined dry like certain pockets of resources here on earth.

[edit on 24/8/07 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
lets be honest tho it cant be nothing?

why not though?

what do we know about the universe?
.001%

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
They were just talking about this on CNN and MSNBC, I was going to come here and post a topic about it but someone beat me to it.

This must be huge news if something like this made it to Main Stream Media.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So this is where Saddam hid those WMDs

But seiously,I believe this is just another example of how little we know about our universe.And how little were SUPPOSE to know about it.
The questions I have about this is....
Will we ever know what caused it?
How(if ever) will this effect Earth?
Is this the only on in our universe?
And can we send a probe or anything to investigate it?
Great thread,along with lots of great ideas,Flagged.

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Black_Fox]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
lets be honest tho it cant be nothing?

why not though?

what do we know about the universe?
.001%

in my opinion it cannot be nothing because it is there.. yes we only know .001% about the universe.

it has to be something because it is detectable...

i quote...

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join