It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaping Hole found in Universe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel
what if a super advanced civilization had worked out the repeating Big bang theory and found a way to shield itself from the end/begining of the universe, its a big shield but possible i suppose ....

That would be a pretty big shield. And what kind of energy source would it have to sustain such a field? IDK but we cant really rule that theory out when we dont even know if we are the definite lifeforms out here in this vast universe.

Still, i think that these sort of things are unfathomable for human understanding.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Wow great find OP
I wonder how long it'll be until they know whether it is expanding or contracting? Be interesting to know which way this is going. Definitely have to keep an eye on this one.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
yes I do think that would be rather interesting. I wonder how it would affect people if evidence was found that there is a repeating big bang.

Well, Kevin Spacey (Prot) said that was the case at the end of the movie K-Pax, so it must be true.

If it were found to be true, I would certainly hope it would affect people. If they definitively knew they had one chance to get something right and one chance only, they better make good decisions. Then again, there lies the paradox. If they had already made bad decisions in the past and were unaware of them, they would be condemned to repeat those same mistakes over and over without even realizing them.

Wasn't it stated by scientists that they think the Higgs-Boson, a.k.a. the God particle, can consume all matter? Could this be an example of it?

[edit on 8/23/2007 by pjslug]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Maybe the big gaping hole is where the big bang originated? just a thought.It just might be void of nothing and be the hell that religion talks of. Maybe we just are not meant to know what it is and just to know it is there?

[edit on 24-8-2007 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   
As other posters have mentioned, black holes are ONLY detectable if they meet one of two criteria;
A black hole is either, currently 'digesting' matter, which we can see as the accretion emitting bright light and lots of hard radiation; the swirling maelstrom of super-accelerated matter is enough to cause it to glow.

OR

The black hole is currently (well, relatively speaking) passing near enough to another celestial body to cause 'wobble' of the star in question by forces of gravity.

At any rate; this doesn't make sense and I don't know of any logical reason for the void space. A roughly even distribution of matter is expected with the big bang theory, this contradicts.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Perhaps it is heaven. If I was god I certainly wouldn't want anybody poking around my place with a telescope.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Perhaps it is something closer to us, blocking our ability to see in that void. EG: A giant xeno-race's cloaking device.

Perhaps this is the entry to the 4th dimension.

This really shoots the 'Big Bang' apart too... if Big Bang occurred, at LEAST there would be dark matter. If there was matter there AT ALL, gravity would exist. Nothing but void... Humn...

Or is this where the universe's a-- is located...

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Foxe]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Don't worry, that's just where God rested on the seventh day.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

The link isn't working anymore

Do you have another source?

link   
reply to post by UM_Gazz

Um... Gazz... Why is your black hole radiating light? Sure looks like a star in that image...

Of course, I'm no expert!

link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

google thread title.

[edit on 8-24-2007 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
truly interesting indeed...i can't wait to see if they figure out the cause, as it could truly be anything

maybe some advanced civilization a billion light years away thought "perhaps we should try to simulate a black hole in a lab. i'm sure we could contain it!"

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Astronomers wondered if the cold spot was intrinsic to the CMB, and thus indicated some structure in the very early Universe, or whether it could be caused by something more nearby through which the CMB had to pass on its way to Earth. Finding the dearth of galaxies in that region by studying NVSS data resolved that question.

Source

Sort-of backing my theory of it being a side-affect of a jamming decide alien races might have up...

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
So would this giant void be the presence of nothing or the absence of something? Amazing what we discover everyday! Wonder whats in store for tomorrow?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It also says its 6 to 10 billion years AWAY from earth, that being said it was empty 6 to 10 Billion years ago. And what the big bang put us at 13.5 Billions years old. You cannot say its a hole, you can only say 6 to 10 billion years ago it WAS a hole. Who knows now.

www.nrao.edu...

edited to add link

[edit on 24-8-2007 by ShiftTrio]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Have any of you ever heard the story of mister flatlander? mister flat lander lives in two dimensional space IE height and width, no depth ( no 3d ) so if you put your finger in mister flantlanders space he would only see a flat segment of your finger. I have a feeling thats what this "void" is, a segment of dimensional space that is beyond 3 dimensions ( or 4 if you account for duration [time]) we are only seeing a "part" of what is there so it looks "void" ( this goes into string and super string theories) Just my personal Opinion and will have to study more data on this. but something is "blocking" our view somehow...

Nature abhors a vacuum...............
with this and possible life on Mars things are Moving along Nicely

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by photobug
Perhaps it is heaven. If I was god I certainly wouldn't want anybody poking around my place with a telescope.

Well, it's mentioned in 2 Corinthians, Chapter 12, if this helps at all. Here's an excerpt:

"1": It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

"2": I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth
such an one caught up to the third heaven.

"3": And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth

"4": How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.

"5": Of such an one will I glory: yet of myself I will not glory, but in mine infirmities.

"6": For though I would desire to glory, I shall not be a fool; for I will say the truth: but now I forbear, lest any man should think of me above that which he seeth me to be, or that he heareth of me.

Now, I'd like to ask a question. I know first of all that this is a very religiously-based post, but it bears mentioning. Could this be the 3rd heaven mentioned in this chapter? If so, is this the place that God resides? Or, is it in fact a cloaked location that a superior alien culture is hiding within?

I'm anxious beyond all comprehension to learn more on this. I'm flaggin' this mutha!!

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by forsakenwayfarer

Ahhh.. thanks, I was a little light-headed, just woke up, a bit woozy, for me to think about googling it up, first thing in the morning, or afternoon in this case.

Here's a link that works that explains more than the Reuters link:

ScienceDaily: Astronomers Find Gaping Hole In The Universe

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:03 AM
link   
surely a civilization advanced enough to cloak itself would realise that making yourself look like a big black nothing is bound to attract attention in a universe full of stars! if it is an area deliberately being 'hidden' then it is doing so to ATTRACT attention, not hide from it.

fascinating story anyway

[edit on 24-8-2007 by justyc]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
It also says its 6 to 10 billion years AWAY from earth, that being said it was empty 6 to 10 Billion years ago. And what the big bang put us at 13.5 Billions years old. You cannot say its a hole, you can only say 6 to 10 billion years ago it WAS a hole. Who knows now.

That's a good point. It may have been void that long ago, but nobody knows what it looks like now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join