It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does The Ad-36 Virus Cause Obesity! 97 million Americans are overweight or obese!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Obesity is a virus? What it resides inside McDonald's beef patties and cheese? This is like saying alcoholism is a disease. The real disease here is lack of self control and lack of exercise.

How convenient to blame it on a scapegoat you can't see

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

All McDonald's food products have extra MSG added to them in some form. This helps to create an addictive craving as well as relates to human obesity simply from the consumption of MSG laced food.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Fermented soy products have MSG, too. Asians eat a lot of fermented soy products. Do you see plenty of fat Asians?

Again, it's all excuses. Despite using plenty of Ajinomoto in their cooking, Asians are still, generally speaking, not fat. You know why? They don't sit around on their lazy asses watching TV and munching Doritos.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

They don't use distilled MSG which is a US discovery/invention.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Go check out this Penn and Teller Bull#! episode about obesity. Everything they say is accurate and correct, and I think a lot of the people who posted on this thread will learn a little something about America's obesity.

video.glath.com...

Click on Penn&Teller's Bull#, then find the episode that has to do with obesity. Very easy, it's right there in front of you.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Obesity is a virus?

In some cases yes; read through my last two posts for information on how this is possible. When you really get down and review the science behind these claims it becomes very easy to understand how and why the virus behaves in this way.

How convenient to blame it on a scapegoat you can't see

Actually Adenoviruses are easily able to been seen and studied under Electron Micrographs and other such microscopes. Adenoviruses are anywhere between 90-100 nanometers in size, which is relatively normal when compared to something like the well known Poliovirus, which is only around 30 nanometers in size. Here is a link with some pictures:

Clinical Virology

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Hate to break it to you, but MSG was discovered and patented by the Japanese early last century. Here, check it for yourself:

Wikipedia: Monosodium glutamate

[...]

It was discovered and patented in 1909 by Ajinomoto Corporation in Japan. In its pure form, it appears as a white crystalline powder; when dissolved in water (or saliva) it rapidly dissociates into free sodium and glutamate ions (glutamate is the anionic form of glutamic acid, a naturally occurring amino acid).[...]

But even if it is as you say, that Americans use "distilled MSG", the fact remains that you're still blaming obesity on something other than your own unhealthy dietary practices. Plus, if "distilled MSG" is so bad, why continue using it?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzerman

Ok, I'll humour you. Assuming it is a virus, why is it so prevalent in the US? Why doesn't it spread elsewhere? You'd think that with air travel being so prevalent it would have spread far and wide. On top of that, McDonald's and all those other fast food scapegoats are also available worldwide.

And by the way, what I meant by "a scapegoat you can't see" is that you can't see it with the naked eye. Bringing in an electron microscope is besides the point.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Beachcoma, many human diseases are caused by problems not visible to the naked eye, so bringing up the subject of Electron Micrographs is completely within reason. In fact, I find it negligible to exclude such an important piece of scientific apparatus when dealing with virions.

In answer to you first question I cannot say definitively why Asian countries and others display less cases of obesity when it's possible a small portion of those cases are caused by viral infections. However, as noted previously, viral causes of obesity are a very small minority in the total number of people that would be considered obese the world over. In most cases it is due to improper diet and exercise, but the viral implications cannot be ignored. The purpose of this thread was to discuss if AD-36 can be responsible for obesity...the answer is a resounding yes. This does not mean that every case of obesity has a viral cause; only a small fraction. So yes, obesity can be caused by a virus.

The demographical distribution of viruses around the world is an area I have very little information on as it covers a broad range of topics such as cultural and sociological impacts of consumption. Because known cases of the Adenovirus causing obesity are very low, and the research if fairly new, I would expect to see more in the future. On a whim I would suggest that cases of this virus causing infection all over the world are similar to that of the US. That is, a small minority, but a minority nonetheless.

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Jazzerman -
I read your reply to my post...a 2.5 increase in "fat production" is pretty significant, but if you do not eat more than your basal calories needed (including allowances for extra calories with extra exercise), it doesn't seem like you would go from, lets say, 200 pounds to 300 pounds overnight. Months or years are needed (minus things like pregnancy). The self control issue is at the heart of this - I have seen this scenario before and I am sure you have too : In McDonalds, the person ordering the Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries (Supersized maybe) and a DIET Coke... Portion control is key. Your post was very insightful and interesting!

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Beachcoma, many human diseases are caused by problems not visible to the naked eye, so bringing up the subject of Electron Micrographs is completely within reason. In fact, I find it negligible to exclude such an important piece of scientific apparatus when dealing with virions.

Sigh. You missed my point again. Let me just spell it out.

It sure is easy to blame a microbe for one's obesity, when it is probably one's own poor dietary habits that is to be blamed.

Other than that, I've no issues with the rest of your post. However I'd agree with harddrive21 that even if indeed the virus is responsible for an increase in fat production, lack of self-control is the primary reason. The virus seems to be a small factor. Genetics are probably a bigger factor.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
harddrive21,

Thanks, and an excellent post of your's I might add. I essentially agree with you in that a reduction in consumption would be in order if their was the risk of a 2.5 fold increase in the amount of fat cells stored in the body. However, since Cholesterol and Lipids remain at low levels in most of the test subjects it makes me wonder if a reduction in food intake would have a negative side effect as well. That is, the body needs some Cholesterol and Lipids to survive, and if the already low levels of these were reduced further I could see a negative aspect forming. Perhaps further research with AD-36 and 37 will answer the question:

If intake of food decreases while the subject is infected with AD-36 or 37, will Fatty Acid production decline in succession with the amount of Lipids?

Only further studies will tell.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Could it be as simple as the lower Cholesterol and fatty acid levels are because of the increase in Cell Membrane Synthesis/cell growth with the adipose tissue is expanding (either from the adenovirus or just overconsumption of food)? I would also question what specific cell lines the virus are integrating into...Liver cells (affecting blood sugar and fat synthesis/metabolism), adipose tissue, maybe even muscle cell integration where glucose is not taken up properly, causing a higher blood sugar and the body converting it into fat (so increase in carbs are the enemy not specifically a high fat diet)? Wouldn't it be funny if an Atkins type diet would be the "cure" - high fiber, high protein, good fat and no carbs...

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
Sigh. You missed my point again. Let me just spell it out.

It sure is easy to blame a microbe for one's obesity, when it is probably one's own poor dietary habits that is to be blamed.

Actually the first part of my post was in reply to your "scapegoat that you can't see" question, which as I pointed out...if one is looking for a viral infection as the cause of disease then bringing Microscopes into the question is completely reasonable. I apologize if the wording was somewhat confusing.

Anyhow, I have already discussed dietary habits vs. viral causation to death. AD-36 and 37 do cause obesity, not every case of obesity, but a small number of those tested under study.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by harddrive21
I would also question what specific cell lines the virus are integrating into

Good points, at this juncture I know that this Adenovirus attacks certains stem cells by attaching to Sialic Acid on the cells surface, and specifically blocks the release of mRNA found in Leptin, which in turn prevents it from binding to receptors in the Hypothalamus. Due to Leptin's inability to bind with these receptors, the body can no longer regulate it's own metabolic processes which contribute to the feeling of hunger and digestive inactivity.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Now thats damn interesting...I am going to share a story here : Zyprexa is well known to cause BIG weight gains (20lb per year on average) - people on this Atypical Antipsychotic drug experience a never ending hunger. With the Dopamine and Serotonin regulated with this drug it "mixes up" the brains ability to tell if you are hungry or thirsty...so people on this drug, if they are hungry, would take a tall glass of water and within minutes, the hunger is gone...I always wondered if this was more "metabolic" in nature (like the problem with messenger RNA affecting Leptin production). My professional guess would be that the number of obese people from this specific virus will probably be around 10-15%. Looking at the eating habits of Americans and the lack of virus transmission around the world (affecting other countries to the same extent) might even bring that percentage down. It might even be possible to "trick the virus" with the water trick mentioned above. Some of the HIV/AIDS drugs (reverse transcriptase inhibitors or protease inhibitors or even Tamiflu) I bet will get some kind of research funding to see if a low dose might work (since we all look for the pill to cure instead of lifestyle changes).

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzerman

Your the only one that has thus far that has made an accurate logical stance.

The others are opinions with no cold hard facts.

Mindless people never do their research and never give thought that really they are speaking because they think, from their point of view, that the world and it's effects are determined by the "so-called" logic they've developed in their, sadly, unintelligent and non-informed lives.

If your going to come to a match, do what this guy just did.
Bring your gloves.

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Could a virus cause obesity???? Why not? Anything is possible.

In this thread I read that the blame lies with the person themselves....that they have "bad" lifestyle choices....that's why they're obese. That too could be possible...but let me throw you another possibility to think about.

Many people are obese due to diagnosed/undiagnosed medical problems...to be exact, HYPO-THYROID.

Know from personal experience, thyroid can contribute to a total mix up in hormones that will cause the body to put on weight, both fat and water in a matter of days.

Yes, there is medication to control this problem, but when one doesn't have insurance to pay for the labs or to see the doctor to get the prescription, or one has a doctor that doesn't even look at thyroid as a possibility, and chooses to put you on the "right choices, exercise and diet" wagon, because that is the accepted normal treatment...one gains weight...no matter how healthy food choices are or how much they exercise.

DO NOT CHOOSE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER. There are many reasons why someone is obese...

Obese people, are not all stupid, lazy, wrong choices, Jerry Springer material.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join