It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrested For Using Wireless Internet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Arrested For Using Wireless Internet

news.bbc.co.uk

The man arrested in a street in west London is at least the third person to be accused of breaching the law by taking internet service without permission.

The Communications Act 2003 says a "person who (a) dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service, and (b) does so with intent to avoid payment of a charge applicable to the provision of that service, is guilty of an offence".
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
yro.slashdot.org
yro.slashdot.org

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
To me this does not sound like it should be a crime. I can give a few reasons. Current technology make it so who ever chooses to use a wireless router with there wi fi capable computer, they can chose to encrypt it. Second I think it would be uncommon for some one else using a some one elses router to cause any harm or inconvenience to the router owner. Should this be illegal I feel it is a victimless crime. Sooner or later I feel this will be in the supreme Cort.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well if the man had used manipulated technology to do that then he is guilty, but if the internet was open with not security then is not his fault.

Funny how the law is grabbing for air here.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Well there is 2 things here.. I will state the typical Internet thing..

1) There are hot spots that are free all over main cities in the states.. I am not sure about over there..

2) Depending on where he was swiping service.. He could be a so called terrorist and doing terrorist things on the Internet.. we will say some typical idiot like myself..

Imagine me trying to explain to government officials how I wasn't the one doing terrorist things on my network.

But then I go wit what I always say..

Its people like the one who is being a baby about this.. Hard to keep things free. 1st thing that comes to mind is Napster.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Agreed. If some one has wi-fi they should encrypt it if they don't want it used by others. It almost falls into enticement not to. But the law cited states "dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service". I would read this as he took steps to circumvent a barrier. Picking up a non-encrypted wi-fi would not be dishonest in my opinion - it would be picking low-hanging fruit. lol

It will be interestingly to follow this.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg,
As I understood it the man just logged on to an unsecured Internet connection. I do that all the time when I am traveling or out to lunch. Note Book computers will often log on automatically. I do not think this should be a crime. Although it has been compared to steeling cable television.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ohh forgot to add something. My internet is on a wired network.. I dont trust wireless crap as far as I can throw it... well interesting.. I can throw it far... But you get the idea..

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Interesting point Val, I use wireless network at home but I made sure is encrypted.

few days ago I lost my link and got somebody else wireless connection, I was upset because I thought somebody shot my connection down.

But we found the problem and fix it.

The other person connection is still available but I know that is not mine so I delete it from my links.

I wonder if with a law like the one in London I would have been braking the law if I use somebody connection available to me in my home.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Exactly, many people including myself and my daughter link to anything available while out of the house.

And Is nothing wrong with that, but a law like the one in London would make it illegal.

I am correct?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
yeah! go england...yet another example of how it has become a police state...and you guys worry about the US. taking our rights??? you should have never given up your rights to bear arms...mistake #1

[edit on 23-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

[edit on 23-8-2007 by darkheartrising]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Marg,
as I understand the law in the first post, yes. If you use a different wireless hook up from your house you would be breaking the law. Which is why I don't think this should be against the law.
I will keep to the opinion that if you don't want any one else using your wireless hook up you should encrypt it. If any one tries to break your encryption then that should be against the law.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure in GoogleEarth there are numbered dot-points throughout New York city that list unsecured wi-fi points. Unless they've been taken dwon by the ever-helpful government, of course.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by darkheartrising

Give up our right to arms
, we've never had it because we don't need it.
What on earth has this got to do with this thread

Are you again trying to hi-jack a thread with your anti-brit / european / everyone who isn't american jibes

You really do have a chip on your shoulder for some reason

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
if i am near an unencrypted wireless spot, i'll jump on it.

i got a little signal strength indicator i carry with me and i can point and shoot without having to get out the notebook.

in a court, couldn;t leaving your connection open be considered neglect?

i don't know...i don't do anything malicious with it though. i know i would be pissed if someone was leaching from me, but my joint is locked down, and i don't broadcast

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I use a Wi-Fi connection and honestly haven't got a clue how to make it secure, help would be appreciated.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:29 PM
link   
i think you just have to password the entry to your network if its un passworded anyone can jump onto it, howvever i have big chunky cables running under the carpet so dont quote me

This man should not be arrested the guy running the wi fi should have safety measure to stop people sapping his bandwith.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Well if the man had used manipulated technology to do that then he is guilty

With this I'll agree...

but if the internet was open with not security then is not his fault.

With this I'll not agree...

I read the article, and it did not state how this person accomplished what was done. Nor did it state if this person stole the service from a residence or business...but...regardless of that fact, this person stole a service that was not theirs to take...

This person did not ask permission to use the service...

Regardless of, if it were secure or not secure, it really doesn't matter, this person used a service that they didn't pay for...

A couple of scenarios here...

You are on a service that monitors the Internet usage, a person like this uses your service (with out your knowledge) to download, a lot of say...music, your ISP cuts you off/limits your time for that month ( I've seen it happen, there are some plans out there that will do this)...

How do you feel about this ?

A pedophile uses your connection to download pics of children. The Fed's catch your IP as the one downloading these pics, and confront you on this...

How do you feel about this ?

You see this type of STEALING should be outlawed, because it would protect the consumer, and any business' out there...

Belive what you want...but I think justice was done here...

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Jedi_Master]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jedi_Master

Jedi
when a person gains access to an unsecured Internet location it is not the ip address of the person who pays for the connection that they are using, they are using the ip address of the computer they are logging on with. So the person who is taking any illegal action will be tracked by his ip address, and will not bring harm to the person who is paying for the connection.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

Marg,
As I understood it the man just logged on to an unsecured Internet connection. I do that all the time when I am traveling or out to lunch. Note Book computers will often log on automatically. I do not think this should be a crime. Although it has been compared to steeling cable television.

Well the thing is that a lot of Wi-Fi high speed internet access locations are reserved to customers, and if people illegally use these systems they put a strain on the system and this will weaken the signal.

This man wasn't arrested just for using wireless internet, he was arrested for not asking permission, meaning the system was owned by someone who didn't want some people to use it.

I could be wrong, but tha's what I can gather from the excerpt.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Notice alot of Yanks commenting on something and alot of people don't seem to understand the issue.

Current technology make it so who ever chooses to use a wireless router with there wi fi capable computer, they can chose to encrypt it.

Not everyone is tech savvy. Not much of an excuse, but it is still valid.

Second I think it would be uncommon for some one else using a some one elses router to cause any harm or inconvenience to the router owner. Should this be illegal I feel it is a victimless crime.

Not at all!

Firstly, your stealing bandwidth. You didn't pay for it and if someone is on a limit, then your taking what's not yours.

Secondly, logging on to an unsecured (or even a secured) network without consent can give you immense power over that network. You can steal personal info, clone their ID, download illegal content. The list is long.

It is certainly not victimless!

Well if the man had used manipulated technology to do that then he is guilty, but if the internet was open with not security then is not his fault.

Not at all, marg. If someone managed to gain access to your network (wired or not) and stole your bandwidth or worse, I'm sure you would be pissed! It is the same as jacking a phone line in order to obtain free calls.

Agreed. If some one has wi-fi they should encrypt it if they don't want it used by others. It almost falls into enticement not to. But the law cited states "dishonestly obtains an electronic communications service". I would read this as he took steps to circumvent a barrier. Picking up a non-encrypted wi-fi would not be dishonest in my opinion - it would be picking low-hanging fruit. lol

Valhall, picking low hanging fruit that isn't yours is stealing.

It matters not if the network was secured or not. Some people don't know how, or perhaps their was a fault with the router which caused it too fail. The crux of the matter is the person was using bandwidth they hadn't paid for or been given permission to use by the person who pays the bill.

Marg,

Exactly! It is stealing! Why some people think internet theft is somehow better than normal theft is beyond me. Some people wouldn't think twice about downloading films and music off the internet (me included) but wouldn't dare go into HMV and pinch a load of DVD's. But it is the same thing.

Ohh forgot to add something. My internet is on a wired network.. I dont trust wireless crap as far as I can throw it... well interesting.. I can throw it far... But you get the idea..

Me too. It's pointless unless you have a laptop. I use wired ethernet. It's faster anyway. Wifi is also subject to atmospheric conditions.

I wonder if with a law like the one in London I would have been braking the law if I use somebody connection available to me in my home.

Marg, I would be surprised if the US does not have any laws pertaining to this as well. Really surprised.

Exactly, many people including myself and my daughter link to anything available while out of the house.

And Is nothing wrong with that, but a law like the one in London would make it illegal.

I am correct?

Marg!? There is alot wrong with it! Why have you got your wifi "secured"? To stop others using it.

So why do you feel it is ok to go and use someone else's without permission, whether they have it secured or not? Your just preying on those that are either not tech savvy or naive.

yeah! go england...yet another example of how it has become a police state...and you guys worry about the US. taking our rights??? you should have never given up your rights to bear arms...mistake #1

Thankyou for that intelligent post. I've seen you about the boards and frankly, I'm not surprised to find your location listed as "Louisiana swamps". I am surprised to find that you not only have the internet, but are able to operate a computer, however.

Marg,
as I understand the law in the first post, yes. If you use a different wireless hook up from your house you would be breaking the law. Which is why I don't think this should be against the law.
I will keep to the opinion that if you don't want any one else using your wireless hook up you should encrypt it. If any one tries to break your encryption then that should be against the law.

Silly logic. Some people, for a variety of reasons, may not be secured. It could be a fault, or perhaps they just do not know. Maybe their kid turned off the encryption (easily done). What matters is someone else is using YOUR bandwidth which you have paid good money for.

I suppose you would be ok with someone taking your washing off the line, because, after all, you left it outside for all to see?

Jedi
when a person gains access to an unsecured Internet location it is not the ip address of the person who pays for the connection that they are using, they are using the ip address of the computer they are logging on with. So the person who is taking any illegal action will be tracked by his ip address, and will not bring harm to the person who is paying for the connection.

Thats incorrect.

Because the router acts as the internet gateway.

It presents to external IP address for the LAN. Any computer within the network would be under a separate subnet within the LAN, but will not be presented to the internet as a separate IP address..

So, if someone logged onto your Wifi network, which is after all a LAN, they would be assigned an IP address within the subnet of your LAN.

When someone tracks back your activities, they will only see the external IP address of the network, not your computer.

It would take further investigating of the router logs to determine what subnet IP was using the connection and even then, logs may not be enabled or perhaps overwritten, leaving you to explain why your network accessed illegal content and leaving the onus on you to prove it wasn't you.

And Muaddib, you are correct. He was using someones home internet without permission. He even admitted to it. He was stealing bandwidth he hadn't paid for.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join