It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Aircraft over New Mexico

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
DM, the U2 was what his uncle was flying... a fairly slow but high flying plane. But it would be great if Zed could come up with some first hand info or anecdotes on flying the U-2.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl
DM, the U2 was what his uncle was flying... a fairly slow but high flying plane. But it would be great if Zed could come up with some first hand info or anecdotes on flying the U-2.

Ahhh jeez, I probably could.
My uncle was actually one of those guys you call uncle. He was actually older than my real uncles/aunts and was related in some distant way to the family.

Anyway, one year when I was 9yrs old he came and stayed with us. At that time he was retired. For about three days he stayed and told the most amazing stories I had every heard...especially from a "jet inspector".

Was not until I was 18 or so when I asked my parents if they remembered the same stories. They did, but laughed when I said "jet inspector". Then they told me what he really did....

Later he was a "consultant" for the government, since the first U2/SR71 pilots were with Lockheed (as he was), but were also attached to the Christians In Action (CIA).

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I've heard numerous things over radio before. Callsigns like "Arcane 661", "Tachyon 5" and phrases such as "graviton vectoring", and "membrane particle frequency" immediately spring to mind.

Several freinds of mine have tapes of such conversations near airbases. One of my favourites being:

"Control this is Airforce Alpha one seven, I beleive the craft to be ready for take off, is my verticle and horizontal airspace cleared?"

"That's a negative Alpha one seven, we do not have your intended flightpath"

"Copy that control, no flightpath intended."

Interestingly enough, when the SR-71 was first unvieled to the public, people thought that it was some kind of alien technology.

Perhaps these new craft that we think of today as being alien, are in fact just advanced technology?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Here's a link that plays part of the audio captured.

audio

It doesn't play the whole audio but it's still pretty interesting.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AukerResearch

Interestingly enough, when the SR-71 was first unvieled to the public, people thought that it was some kind of alien technology.

Perhaps these new craft that we think of today as being alien, are in fact just advanced technology?

I agree with you totally....

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by intelgurl

Originally posted by AukerResearch

I agree with you totally....

Yeah, I mean it makes sense when you think about it. Just look at the B2 stealth bomber flying. Man that looks like some kind of goaould death glider off of stargate sg-1 or something...

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Not sure I believe that the person reporting this is accurate. Military aircraft that operate above 60,000 feet are not at unknow altitudes. There is a code subset that controllers use to separate these aircraft. I believe a pilot would respond with I can't tell my altitude an draw attention to themselves when a simple code response is needed. as too the speed the center RADAR display's only show speed to 999 knots if its faster they only see the 999. Some other Radar displays show a 4 digit speed. We have this display and the fastest I've seen was 1387 knots and that was an SR-71 returning to Edwards.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Are you asking top speed of the U2, or the SR-71?
as he apparently flew the U2....

Sounds plausible...

Even the top secret guys joke with the civilian air controllers from time to time, ESPECIALLY in that neck of the woods.... As for where they are built and tested...why the same place of course... As I type this, I'm sure my pop is pouring over the latest little gizmos of the Raptor (works at the GA plant for Lockheed-Martin) Interesting tidbit...see the RATS forum, hehe...

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DClark
Here's a link that plays part of the audio captured.

audio

It doesn't play the whole audio but it's still pretty interesting.

Thanks for the Audio link

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Doesnt last long but sounds good.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
FYI for all those up at this time. Charles Smith is talking about this on coast2coastam right now with George.

Coast

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Ran some wave scan tests. It is 99.98 percent real. Not only that, Mr. DClark but us Hawkeyes need to stick together if you catch my drift. Anyway, behind you 100%.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
here is the expert opinion i found on the topic

Charles R. Smith
Thursday, Jan. 15, 2004
Steve Douglass, a "military radio" hobbyist in Amarillo, Texas, monitored a curious exchange on the morning of Jan. 7. An unidentified aircraft calling itself "Lockheed Test 2334" told FAA controllers in Albuquerque, N.M., that it was "going supersonic somewhere above Flight Level 60 [60,000 feet]"
According to Douglass, the FAA controllers questioned the aircraft. "Say what aircraft type," requested the controller.

"We are a classified type and can't reveal our true altitude," responded the pilot.

A few minutes later the same pilot requested permission to descend to 30,000 feet and a flight path to "Las Vegas with final destination somewhere in the Nellis Range."

"Trip home a bit slower, eh?" asked the FAA controller. To which the mystery aircraft did not respond.

The exchange monitored by Douglass is similar to earlier military radio transmissions monitored in the late 1990s. An unidentified aircraft code-named "Stove Pipe" once requested permission to cross the California coast en route to Nellis.

The aircraft refused to give its true altitude and speed. Californians, however, were quickly made aware of Stove Pipe because it generated an intense sonic boom as it passed over the coastline.

The aircraft set off several earthquake monitors as it passed overhead at several times the speed of sound. The space shuttle is known to trigger earthquake detectors when it passes over California for landing at Edwards Air Force Base.

Area 51

The U.S. Air Force's famed Area 51, or Groom Lake Facility, is located northwest of the Nellis, Nevada, test range. Area 51 has long been the source of much speculation about UFOs and advanced aircraft.

While many in the UFO enthusiast community suggest that these advanced vehicles are a result of extraterrestrial technology, the fact is that these new systems are of very earthly origin.

It is true that UFOs are the subject of a government conspiracy and cover-up. During the early 1960s the CIA launched a secret project called "Ox Cart," not to hide alien life forms but to hide a multimillion-dollar spy plane.

Ironically, for a project named after one of the slowest vehicles on Earth, Ox Cart involved one of the fastest creations in flight history, pioneered by aviation legend Kelly Johnson. The Ox Cart vehicle was to replace the high-flying U-2, also built by Lockheed and Kelly Johnson. The CIA sought a replacement for the U-2 after the Soviet Union shot down Francis Gary Powers over its territory.

In response to the CIA requirement, Kelly Johnson and his team at Lockheed's famed Skunk Works developed the SR-71 Blackbird. The SR-71 could fly higher than the U-2, over 100,000 feet, and traveled at over three times the speed of sound.

UFO Cover-up

As part of Ox Cart, the CIA also launched an effort to cover up the testing of its new high-flying reconnaissance plane. That effort included circulating stories of space aliens and flying saucers flying over the Western skies.

The CIA cover story for the SR-71 worked well enough for it to remain a secret until President Lyndon Johnson released details of the aircraft during a speech.

For nearly 30 years the SR-71 remained the fastest aircraft in active service, flying over global hot spots in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

No Blackbird aircraft was ever lost to enemy action, but one was destroyed when it was launching an even faster vehicle. During the 1980s, several SR-71s were modified to carry a ramjet-powered unmanned vehicle designed to over-fly the most dangerous targets.

The single-engine ramjet pilotless craft were carried aloft on the back of the Blackbird and launched at over 100,000 feet and at speeds in excess of 2,000 miles an hour. One of these unmanned aircraft failed immediately after launch, colliding with the SR-71, instantly destroying both aircraft.

The SR-71 was eventually retired and may have been replaced by the mysterious Stove Pipe craft that set off the earthquake detectors in California. Because of its nature and recorded high flight speed, most sources indicate that Stove Pipe was actually a manned version of the Aurora space plane.

Aurora

Although never officially confirmed, Aurora was also developed by the Lockheed Skunk Works during the 1980s. The space plane was designed to operate either in a manned or unmanned mode. Its Cold War mission was to penetrate the anti-missile defenses surrounding Moscow at Mach 8+ speeds and deliver nuclear bombs onto multiple targets.

Aurora was described as a very large diamond-shaped vehicle and most likely powered by a hybrid jet-rocket engine technology. The craft could attain speeds in excess of 8,000 miles an hour and fly at altitudes of over 50 miles. Aurora was armed with over a dozen nuclear warheads.

The reason it was developed to be both manned and unmanned was because of its dual missions � peacetime reconnaissance and wartime nuclear strike vehicle. During times of peace, the Aurora carried manned crews to supervise surveillance.

During wartime, the very powerful Aurora accelerated and changed directions at speeds that would crush a human under the high G forces. Aurora's nuclear strike mission was intended to be without a pilot because a human simply would not survive the ride.

However, Aurora had two great drawbacks: its price tag and its mission. Aurora reportedly was retired from service in the late 1990s due to budget constraints. Each vehicle reportedly cost over $2 billion. The price of Aurora operations could not be justified when the Cold War ended.

Invisible Airplanes

What is the Skunk Works testing today? The unofficial reports indicate that the super-secret aircraft builders are hard at work on an invisible airplane.

Stealth was the watchword for the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk. However, the stealthy strike fighter was visible to the naked eye, limiting its attack missions to the deep dark of night.

Today, advances in light panel technology are pushing the limits of invisible airplanes. The fact is that aircraft stand out against the bright sky as darker objects, but by using bright panels of light the aircraft virtually disappears against the blue sky.

Ironically, the concept is not new. In the 1940s, the U.S. Navy developed operation "Yahootie," the first practical attempt to create an invisible aircraft.

U.S. Navy bombers were considered too slow to visually spot a German U-boat cruising on the surface and attack in daylight. U-boat commanders often spotted the lumbering bombers and dived safely away before the planes could attack.

In response, a string of bright lights were arrayed on the wings and propeller hubs of the sub-hunter planes. The bomber crews adjusted the lights to match the natural background light behind the aircraft, masking their planes against the sky.

The principle is called isoluminosity, the perception that different objects displaying the same brightness seem indistinguishable from each other.

The principle worked very well until 1942, when the Navy introduced airborne radar, allowing bombers to spot and kill submarines beyond visual ranges. The Navy abandoned Yahootie in favor of radar.

An advanced version of Yahootie, a manned surveillance aircraft, reportedly uses a combination of lights, low-noise engines and radar-absorbing skin to render itself practically invisible in daylight. The aircraft not only is invisible to radar but also its skin is layered with an array of high-intensity light panels that broadcast the same output as the sky around it.

What was Lockheed Test 2334? While the technology may seem out of this world, it is certain that Test 2334 is no UFO. Clearly, Test 2334 was flown by a USAF pilot and not ET

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

You mean STRIKE Eagle?
I've NEVER heard it called "streak"

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

You mean STRIKE Eagle?

No she said it correctly. "Streak" Eagle serial 72-0119 was a specialy modified F-15 that was used to break several time to climb records. The airframe was light and was not even painted to save weight.

Between Jan. 16 and Feb. 1, 1975, an F-15A nicknamed "Streak Eagle" broke eight time-to-climb world records. It reached an altitude of 98,425 feet just 3 minutes 27.8 seconds from brake release at takeoff and coasted to nearly 103,000 feet before descending.
www.boeing.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
If this aircraft was not identified it is called a UFO. UFO's do not have to come from outer space. I have heard a very different sounding airplane here in NM several times. I have never been able to spot it. We just had a major airshow in the area, but no new technology was displayed. It will really be exciting when this bird is unvieled.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

You mean STRIKE Eagle?

No she said it correctly. "Streak" Eagle serial 72-0119 was a specialy modified F-15 that was used to break several time to climb records. The airframe was light and was not even painted to save weight.

Between Jan. 16 and Feb. 1, 1975, an F-15A nicknamed "Streak Eagle" broke eight time-to-climb world records. It reached an altitude of 98,425 feet just 3 minutes 27.8 seconds from brake release at takeoff and coasted to nearly 103,000 feet before descending.
www.boeing.com...

To expand a little on this, it was built as an early preproduction F-15. It was never intended to go into service. It was stripped of everything non-essential to flight. Radar, gun, extra radios, antennas, etc. They even stripped it down to the bare metal to save an extra couple hundred pounds. They even removed the hydraulic systems for the speed brake, and flaps. That dropped 1800 pounds.

The records that they set on that day stood until they were broken by the Russians using a modified Mig-25 or -31 in 1975 and using a modified SU-27 prototype in the mid to late 1980s.

Time to climb to 9000m: 44.18 seconds.
Time to climb to 12000m: 55.54 seconds.
Time to climb to 15000m: 1min 10 seconds.
Time to climb to 30000m: 3min 10 seconds.

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by Zaphod58

Cool Post Z.

At first I was confused as to whether your T to C record was for the Streak or the Sukhoi so I went and looked them up

www.angelfire.com...

This plane is a stripped version of the Su-27, without armament or electronics, used to set time-to-height records. Accordingly, one of the T-10S prototypes was stripped of all armament, radar and operational equipment, the fin tips were removed, as was the tailboom and the wingtip launch rails. Even the radome was replaced by a lighter metal fairing. Stripped of paint, the aircraft was polished and all drag-producing gaps and joints were sealed. The engines were modified to give an increase in thrust of 2,204lbs, giving the P-42, as the modified aircraft was designated, a phenomenal thrust-to-weight ratio of almost 2:1.

The mainwheel brakes could not hold the aircraft at full thrust so the P-42 was anchored to a tracked armoured vehicle by a steel hawser with an electronic lock. With the engines wound up to full power, the hawser was released and the P-42 leaped into the air and climbed at an optimum angle to altitude.

Between 1986 and 1988 the P-42, piloted variously by Victor Pugachev, Nikolai Sadovnikov, Oleg Tsoi and Yevgeni Frolov, took no less than 27 records from the Streak Eagle, including time-to-height records for 3000, 6000, 9000, 12000 and 15000 metres, a height record of 19335m (63435 ft) and time-to-height records with various payloads. The aircraft even set records for STOL aircraft with a take-off run of less than 1540ft! Most of these records still stand to this day.

www.fai.org...

Pretty amazing when you look at the chart. (I'm pretty sure I put those in the right place and year - they have a confusing look up table.

To go from 59 minutes in 1983 to 70 seconds in 1988 is just staggerinig. I didn't see any records on the Streak.

Maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

Do you have the comparable table or the Streak Eagle? (just curious)

This is the Can. Challenger CL601 according to Google:

I found one grainy pic of the P-42

Oh wait...a better one:

Did find this:
From www.edwards.af.mil...: (somewhere, no link)

A specially modified F-15A Eagle known as the "Streak Eagle" was able to outclimb a Saturn V Moon Rocket to almost 60,000 feet. This same aircraft flew to 98,430 feet (30,000 meters) in 207.80 seconds (less than 3 minutes and 30 seconds)

So the P-42 cut 20 seconds off the Streak's record at that height.

More records on it here:
www.propro.ru...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 12/10/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Oct, 12 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here are pretty much all of the current records, for just about every type of course and plane out there.

records.fai.org...

If you change the engine type to jet engine, you can find the records for everything from the AN-225 to the SR-71.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join