It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Aliens Contact Us On UK News or Just A Big Joke?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
A UK news programs transmission was interrupted by a voice warning the world to stop heading down the path of destruction. in the Yahoo news today i read the story of this interesting event that happened in 1977. The voice claims to be an alien that wants to help.

tech.groups.yahoo.com...

it also gives a link to another site that also post the transcript of the message.

www.worldgathering.net...

what i would like to know is if anyone was around back then and remembers this happening. perhaps you aren't old enough but you have heard of this before and know where we can find a recording of this message if it even exist.
yahoo has claimed the voice a fake but I've never even heard of it. Have you?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Could be hackers I guess. Theres a number of incidents where they have managed to break into TV transmissions

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Its a joke 'lol' so funny but then again you never know..seems like they shoulda done it to a larger audience..not southern UK tv viewers..also if they are so caring as they claim in this, they have done very little to help us out since then..we're heading down a bad way in terms of energy crisis with no relief in sight, its a hoax in my opinion

[edit on 23-8-2007 by wildone106]

[edit on 23-8-2007 by wildone106]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
UPDATE:

listen for yourselves if you like.i found a site that claims it has the recording on audio. you just have to listen to crumby music as you wait for the audio to start. it takes about 20 seconds.

labyrinth13.com...

it sounds kinda cool but i've got no idea how real it could be. You be the judge.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
A couple of points:

1. The voice has an English accent
  2. Is the use of reverb and pitch shifting really necessary?

Sounds kinda 70s and cheesy

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
OK, here's a more constructive point

It was broadcast on November 26th 1977 -- my 7th birthday

Blake's 7 first appeared on British television screens on 2 January 1978

See...
en.wikipedia.org...

Could this have been one of the very earliest known attempts at viral marketing...? I don't know what kind of history this has and the Wikipedia entry doesn't help any...
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 8/23/2007 by uv777bk]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
This sounds interesting, but is there any other supporting evidence beside the story? For instance, is there a recording somewhere of this event? It had to be recorded if they are quoting this message word for word.

It would be cool if you can find anything else more substantial.

[edit on 8/23/2007 by TheInfamousOne]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Does anyone here know when the original war of the worlds was played on the radio, Advertising campaign was mentioned above, but maybe it was for the war of the worlds, that also freaked people out because they thought it was real back then...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
While I happen to agree 100% with the message given, I have to say it's odd that the "alien" has an english accent and chose to broadcast to only a small portion of the UK. Why wouldn't they want to give the entire world their message at once? That would certainly get people's attention.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Ah...good ol' Vrillon of the Ashtar Galactic Command or somesuch? In addition to the accent and the similarity with the fictional spiritual force "vril," (also a drink in the UK) the whole thing just reads like your standard New Age-UFO-religion message.

Broadcasting a pirate signal was far easier to do back in the 70s, and this is certainly not without precedent. Considering this message was only broadcast once, and through such an imperfect medium, I think we can rule out any alien origin.

The only real question is whether the originators of the signal were true believers and wanted to get their spiritual ideas out to the public, or whether it was simply the work of pranksters taking advantage of the message of such people. Either way, the recording has as much validity as the "Wyoming Incident" videos (which weren't even actual pirate broadcasts).

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
Does anyone here know when the original war of the worlds was played on the radio

30 October 1938. This dramatization of H G Wells’ 1898 novel “The War of the Worlds” was broadcast by CBS. It was performed by Orson Welles and the Mercury Theater. The script was written by Howard Koch

Soundfile of entire broadcast available online at: www.earthstation1.com...

Complete text of script available online at:
members.aol.com...

Various references to discussion of that broadcast are included in my UFO Chronology (see my blog for a link to the free download).

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrRviewer
in the Yahoo news today i read the story of this interesting event that happened in 1977. The voice claims to be an alien that wants to help. ... yahoo has claimed the voice a fake but I've never even heard of it. Have you?

Hi,

There is a 3 page thread on ATS about this broadcast.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

(That thread was active just a few days ago, so this new thread may be locked).

I'll quickly note in passing (before I fall asleep) the following references from my UFO Chronology:

6 page discussion by Beckley, Timothy Green in “Other Voices” (1995) (by George Hunt Williamson with Alfred Bailey) at pages 15-20 (in the Introduction) of the Abeldard softcover edition.

4 page discussion by Beckley, Timothy Green in his “Strange Encounters: Bizarre and Eerie Contact with UFO Occupants” (1992) at pages 34-36, 40 (in the unnumbered chapter entitled “Probing the Mystery of the Unexplained Radio Transmissions”) of the Inner Light softcover edition.

1 page discussion by Hind, Cynthia in her “UFOs : African Encounters” (1982) at page 81 (in Chapter 9) of the Gemini paperback edition.

1 page discussion by Morris, Peter J in his “Aliens Amongst Us : A Beginner’s Guide” (1999) at page 44 (in Chapter 4) of the Hodder & Stoughton softcover edition.

Kind Regards and night-night,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Its unlikely to have been a marketing ploy, because I believe that only a segment watching the specfic channel got the interupt. Other parts of the country got what they were supposed to.

In 1977 it would have most likely been more difficult to pull this off, as all the nice equipment on the cheap today to assist in this type of thing was very expensive back then.

And finally, they never did determine how it was pulled off, or even came up with a plosible posability I believe...

top topics

join