It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush comparisons between Iraq and Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Well now that President Bush has been making comparisons between the war in Iraq and the Vietnam conflict, does that means we can go at it too?

I mean he says that a premature departure from Iraq will result in the same type of events that happen after we left Vietnam prematurely.

So now that he has open the door for comaparison between Iraq and Vietnam, what other similarities come to mind?, I think I'm too young and since I did not grew up here in the US I can not claim to be an expert in the Vietnam conflict but here is some similarities that I can find for what I have learned and please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Undecisive leadership: from top to bottom, from the White House to the Pentagon that at has cost the lives of many military members.

2. Lack of preparation: We went to battle without a war plan that could outline every possible scenario and we ended up fighting conflicts for which the armed forces where ill prepare to combat in.

3. Politics getting in the way of the objective: too many politicians getting in the way of the military leadership, in Iraq you can add that Rumsfelf surrounded himself with a group of yesSir Generals.

Sad thing about it is to see our leaders repeating the mistakes from the past, for people in power that is inexcusable. I remember when then said that the Iraqis were going to receive is with open arms and after that we go home, I remember the President in the aircraft carrier with the banner Mission Accomplished, I remember Dick Cheney saying that the insurgency was in their last stance, and now that the surge is working and throughout all that the streets of Iraq were and keep claiming the lives of my brothers and sisters.

That we sign up to defend this country and we choose to sacrifice our lives to protect our family and neighbors is a decision of our own making, but to have leadership that put us in harm way in a situation that could have been avoided in many ways if they have taken their time to avoid the mistakes of the past is ............... you know what, I don't even have words to describe it, sorry.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Bunch]

new topics

join