It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia unveils pilotless 'stealth' bomber

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Interesting news from MAKS 2007...

No pictures yet though, and obviously a long way from hardware.

www.abc.net.au...

The Winged Wombat

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Interesting - I presume pilot less implies extream performance (for evasion?) passably even kamikaze type missions.

This sort of thing could mean a very small (and rich) minority could go ahead with plans regardless of what the pilot's and other crew have in mind. Clint Eastwood would have a much harder time nicking that particular Mig!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I thought US "stealth" was ineffective and would become obsolete? What happened to plasma stealth? Oh the cynic in me...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
What happened to plasma stealth? Oh the cynic in me...

You assume it won't have it?

I'll keep an open mind on that.

Interesting to see the Russians are actually looking to move on from (soon-to-be) obsolete manned aircraft - its quite disappointing they didn't go down this route with the PAK-FA.

I assume it is just another demonstrator (in the mould of the S-37) and not an actual machine for procurement?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
You assume it won't have it?

From the description it sounds like another X-47B, Neuron type UCAV deal, despite the word "bomber". What would be the point of such a design in not, for the lack of a better term, conventional LO?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It will weigh 10 tonnes and be able to carry up to two tonnes of ordnance and will have a range of 4,000 kilometres, RIA Novosti reported.

here

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

From the description it sounds like another X-47B, Neuron type UCAV deal, despite the word "bomber". What would be the point of such a design in not, for the lack of a better term, conventional LO?

Surely that is pretty obvious, an even lower RCS across a wider spectrum of long and short wavelength radars than is the case with current in-service technology.

[edit on 23/8/07 by kilcoo316]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but they specify "Stealth fighter" meaning that it will be better than the F-117's stealth. Are they referring to the B-2? That would have me quite worried.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Seems like Russia is becoming a mercenary country, staying out of wars but suppling them.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Surely that is pretty obvious...

I know it's obvious which I why I asked why go through all the trouble of building an LO airframe if you have plasma stealth.

I assume it is just another demonstrator (in the mould of the S-37) and not an actual machine for procurement?

That will probably depend on $$$, if someone is willing to fund and buy it I'm sure they will offer it for production like the Su-47.

Anyway, the source below included a small frontal image, other than that it is the same information being printed in other sources.

Link

Nothing extraordinary from what I can tell so I'll take the company's selling point comments with a grain of salt until we get more data.

I managed to find a Russian video report about this "Skat", if anyone can translate it would be greatly appreciated. Link

[edit on 23-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BostonOrange
Seems like Russia is becoming a mercenary country, staying out of wars but suppling them.

Iran did get hold of them 'sunburn' anti ship missiles, among other items and other countries.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:53 AM
link   
i can't wait to find out more

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Are those the intakes upfront?
Is going to carry that Kh-31 in that hump?
The bomb bay doors are on the underbelly I presume.

looks cute though!

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   

I managed to find a Russian video report about this "Skat", if anyone can translate it would be greatly appreciated. Link

[edit on 23-8-2007 by WestPoint23]

They dont say anything new really , same thing with the newspapes

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by BostonOrange

Russia, America, France and the UK have been doing that for *years*

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Another piccie for your viewing

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I know it's obvious which I why I asked why go through all the trouble of building an LO airframe if you have plasma stealth.

Probably because you don't want to use the plasma over all the airframe, just sensitive areas.

Like the wing leading edges, corners, control surface gaps etc etc.

[edit on 24/8/07 by kilcoo316]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Probably because you don't want to use the plasma over all the airframe, just sensitive areas.

And why wouldn't one want to use Plasma all over the air frame with the exception of the radar dome? I don't even know if this aircraft will even feature a radar.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hmmmm It would be naive to think the Russians are not doing any research into UAV's and the like. However, the picture seen in the link has to be just a prototype. I don't see it as being large enough to carry 2 tons and have a range of 2500 miles based on the pictures size.

A couple of things. russias procurment system is perhaps even more dysfunctional that the US's. However, if Putin deems it a priority and funds it, then it has a decent chance of being put into production. China will show interest however, they are getting to the point where they really do not need Russian help anymore and perhaps have the industrial base to begin doing this type of a/c on thier own.

[edit on 8/24/07 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I wouldn't bet on using plasma stealth. If I'm not mistaken, it basically makes communications near impossible as it jams just about everything. That would make remote control piloting near impossible, and I'm not sure if the Russians would try for a completely autonomous UCAV or not. If they could pull it off effectively then kudo's, but I'd still feel nervous about the lack of human oversight while the plane is in operation. Also, I think it'd make satellite navigation rather difficult, which diminishes it's usefulness as a bomber.

I could be completely wrong, but I'm betting on what the US has been using. Radar absorbing paint and specialized angles. It's not perfect, but congratulations to the Russians for at least giving it a try.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join