It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Russia beat us?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
That's what I though funny about it too. I'll try to find the article.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   

China Plans Base on Moon - Wants To Mine For Minerals
There's been much buzz in the press lately, particularly the Asian press (for those of you who only read our domestic press), about China's recent commitment to go to the moon. They've drafted fourteen astronauts from their air force, they've marshelled the resources, they've invoked images of the Soviet/American space race of the 60's and proclaimed their intent to be the third great power in space (should we let them know about all those European and Japanese astronauts who've been building the International Space Station?). Apparently, China expects to be on the moon by 2010.

But apparently, that's not all. The Chinese want to go to the moon to exploit its mineral wealth, according to reports this week. China, which is pushing ahead with a fledgling space program, plans to establish a base on the moon in order to exploit its mineral resources, state media reported Sunday.

"Our long-term goal is to set up a base on the moon and mine its riches for the benefit of humanity," the Beijing Morning Post said, citing Ouyang Ziyuan, an official with the Chinese space program.

Having successfully launched a monkey, a dog, a rabbit and snails into orbit , the Chinese are embarking on galactic imperialism to exploit the mineral wealth of our solar system! OK, that might be a tad melodramatic, but it does sound like the plot of something Frank Herbert wrote years ago...

Seriously, this may be the kick in the butt our Congress needs to actually fund NASA at a time when it looks like it is facing an inevitable end of life for lack of Congressional interest.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheConservative

"Our long-term goal is to set up a base on the moon and mine its riches for the benefit of humanity," the Beijing Morning Post said, citing Ouyang Ziyuan, an official with the Chinese space program.

Since when has China done anything for humanity?!

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Chinese are embarking on galactic imperialism to exploit the mineral wealth of our solar system!

STAR WARS!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Hahahahahaha, some guy needs to don a helmet, at least in the media, because we need a darth vader to explore space!

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
bow that is stupid idea
the moon is a desert - no water no minerals only sand
and rocks
maybe China want to build another silicone valley there

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
even a dessert has water and yes the moon has it to it got water molecules. And there is plenty of it to make oxygen water and rocket fuel. in form of H3

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
WHat China wants a base on the moon for, and the US too for that matter has nothing to do with mining, there is nothing with the exception of I think its either helium or hydrogan 3, that cannot be mined a heck of a lot easier and cheaper here.

The moon is the ultimate high ground. Forget about nukes from the moon all you have to do is through rocks to vaporize a city. Read R.A. Henline's book "the moon is a harsh mistress" to see what would happen in a war between the moon and earth.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
By H3, you guys mean tritium, right?

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Hm..the sum of the mission for the U.S. caps off at $150 Billion because of all the requirements they are needed to use. Safety, fuel, etc etc..(you get my point) The U.S. goes overboard on setting up precautions (lets not bring in the Discovery on this) = /

However, Sector, you said that India, China, Russia, etc will exceed the GDP of the U.S. within 40 years, and like said, that is assuming that everything stays exactly the same - that is not going to happen, nothing ever works out like that. If Russia is truly planning, and suceeding on getting to Mars before the U.S., do you think the U.S. is going to sit back and watch them do it? No. They will update the program, speed things up, and be, if not beat, right behind the Russians.

-wD

EDIT: H3 is h2o but you add another hydrogen to it, right?

???

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by WeBDeviL]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   

H3 is h2o but you add another hydrogen to it, right?

I think you are right I was unsure if it was helium or hydrogen but I think it is h3o, I know it has to be made here on earth but occers naturaly on the moon

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have never learned of a H3O in school
Do you mean H2O2 hidrogen peroxide which is often used as an oxidizer for rockets because it splits very easily to H2O and O2 (oxigen
)
And by the way it is totaly impossible for one oxygen aton to chemically connect with three hydrogen atoms

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Do you mean H2O2 hidrogen peroxide which is often used as an oxidizer for rockets because it splits very easily to H2O and O2 (oxigen)

I am confused now, I was sure it was h3o. Its on another thread and is in a couple of books I have here. If I remember correctly its a manmade element here on earth and is found natural on the moon and is used in nuclear reactions.

I will try to look this up and get the details before I say anything else

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
you had to say that from the beginning.
you are talking about heavy water H2O in which one of the hydrogen atoms is a tritium atom - it has two neutrons in it's core.......I think

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by vorazechul]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It was helium 3 not hydrogen 3 here is a link

www.upenn.edu...

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Since when has China done anything for humanity?!

China Cancels Africa's Debt

China has cancelled the debts owed to it by 31 African countries. The show of solidarity will give African leaders greater leverage to demand that the International Monetary Fund, World Bank and the wealthy finance capitalists in the bastions of imperialism do the same.

www.workers.org...

Liberia reaps China aid bonanza

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Genius of China: 3,000 Years of Science, Discovery and Invention

www.history-asia.com...

China Provides Aid for Afghan Refugees and Pakistan

www.china.org.cn...

China Offers Further 10m Yuan Aid to Iran

www.chinagate.com.cn...

Would you like more?

China has been spreading the wealth all over the world, and they have made countless dicoveries over the centuries. What about rockets, and noodles?

Now that they have more cash coming in than going out they have been spreading it around where it can buy them friends.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
If Russia is truly planning, and suceeding on getting to Mars before the U.S., do you think the U.S. is going to sit back and watch them do it? No. They will update the program, speed things up, and be, if not beat, right behind the Russians.

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by WeBDeviL]

If Russia geos to Mars first then US might lose interest in a manned mission to Mars.

Same with the Russians, US went to the moon first and Russia lost interest.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

H3 is h2o but you add another hydrogen to it, right?

I think you are right I was unsure if it was helium or hydrogen but I think it is h3o, I know it has to be made here on earth but occers naturaly on the moon

H3O is impossible; there are would be some left over valance electrons in this configuration, therefore it is impossible. Maybe H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide), like someone else said or the isotope He3.

[Edited on 18-1-2004 by TheConservative]

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
A topic is going to an end when everyone begins to speak of everything else than the topic

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
i don't think Russia can beat America now, Russian economy is bad!

Russian scientists are better than American ones but they don't have the money

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join