It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Russia beat us?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This thread was trash by alot of Russian haters.

Sorry I will not try discuss such stuff with people that clearly hate the Russians.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Oh please, Russian. I want to know people's opinions, not trash the Russians. A co-worker of mine put in his 2 cents, that he thinks they could have done it as the USSR, but not now as Russia. He was saying that his uncle worked in the space program durring the space race, and money was NO object. He could ask for a gold and platinum mesh hat to wear, and it would be delivered, no problem.

That was what made their program so effective. Now, from the sound of the press release, they're trying to do it ecconomically. Major difference. The US has had plans for this for a while, and we've got a large budget to pull it off. Russia has a short time frame and small budget. Seems dubious to me.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Oh please, Russian. I want to know people's opinions, not trash the Russians. A co-worker of mine put in his 2 cents, that he thinks they could have done it as the USSR, but not now as Russia. He was saying that his uncle worked in the space program durring the space race, and money was NO object. He could ask for a gold and platinum mesh hat to wear, and it would be delivered, no problem.

That was what made their program so effective. Now, from the sound of the press release, they're trying to do it ecconomically. Major difference. The US has had plans for this for a while, and we've got a large budget to pull it off. Russia has a short time frame and small budget. Seems dubious to me.

russia had plans for it since gagarin

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Never said they didn't have plans, read it again. I omitted saying wether they had plans or not, because I wasn't sure. I think the biggest factors in this is the money and the time.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I like russia and all, but I think that if there is a space race than there is no doubt that the us will win it. And as for the economics of Russia, everyone has to agree, that they dont have the best economy to pull of this expedition. And like others have said, they could have done it as the ussr, but as russia? And is there news of russia saying this at any place that is respectable and doesnt lie? Like the new york times, or something like that?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by iownabox
And is there news of russia saying this at any place that is respectable and doesnt lie? Like the new york times, or something like that?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   

What do y'all think, will Russia be able to beat the US in getting someone to Mars?

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by junglejake]

HELL NO!

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mcoy
I just hope they fake the mars landing better than the moon landing.

prove it was fake

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
prove it was fake

Because as we all know, the moon is made out of cheese, and they brought back "rocks". Duh it was fake!

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
lol looks like that last post I made killed this thread...

On another note, does anyone have REASONS for thinking Russia, not the USSR, but Russia, can beat us to Mars? If they do, I really want to hear them. I'm not looking to slam Russia, I'm looking for more reasons to respect them!

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
All the proof you need is here.

Out,
Russian

[Edited on 17-1-2004 by Russian]

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I believe that Russia and America will team up and make plans for a lunar base and a manned mission to Mars. Please read this article, which I started a topic about in this forum:

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
but...I've read that thread...And yes, it shows they want to do it, but do you think the Russia of today can maintain enough to pull it off?

I'm not saying they can't. Russia has an incredible history of being able to be behind and play catch-up to the point where they're in the lead. But in this case, they're not behind. I just don't know if they have the drive for this one.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

but...I've read that thread...And yes, it shows they want to do it, but do you think the Russia of today can maintain enough to pull it off?

I'm not saying they can't. Russia has an incredible history of being able to be behind and play catch-up to the point where they're in the lead. But in this case, they're not behind. I just don't know if they have the drive for this one.

As the article says, if the U.S. provides them financial assistance, they can do it. Even if our countries do team up, I believe that the U.S. will step foot on Mars first.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   

US and Russia can pull it off.

But US is scared or just want a moon base first so they are now consontrated on the moon.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheConservative
Even if our countries do team up, I believe that the U.S. will step foot on Mars first.

With an unmanned object yes.

But humans I think the Russian will be there first.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I believe that Russia and America will team up and make plans for a lunar base and a manned mission to Mars. Please read this article, which I started a topic about in this forum:

www.space.com...

This article is about Russia helping US with the moon base mission and getting some know how for themself to do the same.

But Russia wanted to have a mission with US and EU to go to Mars but US didnt want to.

US said they right now are consuntrated on a unmanned mission to Mars.

US has almost no plans of a manned mission to Mars.

Out,
Russian

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Sadly, I think the reason for the moon base is China. China has a tendancy of claiming all that they see, and the US is worried China is about to claim and defend the moon. The US wants to get there first and extablish a foothold so China can't do that.

Now if the US is going to try to claim the moon for itsself, that's another issue, one which I don't know the answer to...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Sadly, I think the reason for the moon base is China. China has a tendancy of claiming all that they see, and the US is worried China is about to claim and defend the moon. The US wants to get there first and extablish a foothold so China can't do that.

Now if the US is going to try to claim the moon for itsself, that's another issue, one which I don't know the answer to...

I believe this too, after hearing the ludicrous claims of China building a lunar base in order to extract minerals out of the moon.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I believe this too, after hearing the ludicrous claims of China building a lunar base in order to extract minerals out of the moon.

I hadn't heard that! That's funny! What minerals? The moon is pretty barren, according to all of our geological surveys and the like. Unless they're trying to find more rock. Then they might get lucky...

With no water there ever, most of the minerals we have on earth will never develop there. They might be able to find iron there. That's about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join