It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Russia beat us?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
What do y'all think, will Russia be able to beat the US in getting someone to Mars?

Personally, I think they will try before us, but will fail. They have much lower safety requirements then we do, and would give it a push ahead, but then they need to rely on luck not to kill their crew...

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I just hope they fake the mars landing better than the moon landing.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It all depends on if America Substains another Terrorist Attach like that of 9/11. Even though our economy is growing it is on shaky ground and a major terror attack could send us into a depression.

If that were to happen then yes the russians could beat the US but otherwise no.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Why don't we pull our resourses together? Nah.. That would be to easy.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
i think competition amoung nations is so immature, it's like children trying to impress their parents, come now one would think getting to mars would be an international effort, but i guess they think there has to be someone responsible for it, the whole world can't share in an accomplishment that would be.....
communistic!! oh no!

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
russia has ALOT of expirience in this sort of stuff, plans to go to mars vere activated right after gagarin!

"Technically, the first flight to Mars could be made in 2014. It would cost about $15 billion (about R100bn) to do it, compared with the American estimate for their project of $150 billion," said Leonid Gorshkov, chief designer with Energia, the Russian space constructor"

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Considering the economic costs to both or all parties seeking to goto the Moon or Mars, the solution would be to unite or intergrate programs and go at it jointly or at a world 'jointly' standpoint in my honest opinion.
Being the first to "reach" is not as important as being successful....ie: Beagle2 in respect to Spirit, as an example.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
wasn't america the one who faked the moon landing?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Considering the economic costs to both or all parties seeking to goto the Moon or Mars, the solution would be to unite or intergrate programs and go at it jointly or at a world 'jointly' standpoint in my honest opinion.
Being the first to "reach" is not as important as being successful....ie: Beagle2 in respect to Spirit, as an example.

regards
seekerof

www.spacedaily.com...
Russia, US agree to explore Mars together

MOSCOW (AFP) May 05, 2003
Russia and the United States have agreed to launch a joint programme of Mars exploration, officials said here Monday after talks between the heads of the US and Russian space agencies.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You guys are forgetting one thing: Competition causes the human species to perform far beyond what it is capable in a non-competitive scenario.

Take a look at the first space race. More advances were made in such a short time then ever before in the space program.

Look at Sammy and Mark, hitting tons of home runs, in competition with eachother.

If we compete against the Russians, and they are worthy advisaries, both of our nation's science and space programs will have amazing boosts. You know, the kind of boost that people would theorize about alien technology or conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think Russia will beat America to Mars.Isn't the space shuttle program on hold or something.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn
yeah Russia will beat the americans to mars when when pigs fly(no Im not refering to cops)

why is it so hard to believe?
russia has tons of experience in this.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Oh god...let's not go there again...
It wasn't faked...there's even a reflector there, set up during the Apollo missions, which is STILL used to calculate distances from a laser beam on Earth. I'd suggest going to either badastronomy.com or nasa.gov and typing "moon landing hoax" in the search for some more details....

Russia won't even try this I'd wager.... Yes the shuttle program is currently suspended...but that's not the only vehicle in existence, nor planned....

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
experience, yes, but they don't have the cash, or many of the people they had before.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Oh god...let's not go there again...
It wasn't faked...there's even a reflector there, set up during the Apollo missions, which is STILL used to calculate distances from a laser beam on Earth. I'd suggest going to either badastronomy.com or nasa.gov and typing "moon landing hoax" in the search for some more details....

KillerD-I get tired of people thinking that the moon landing was faked especially since it's my B-Day

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by KillerD]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
experience, yes, but they don't have the cash, or many of the people they had before.

this is not the 1991 anymore, the economy is improving very fast

For the next 50 years Brazil, Russia, India and China will experience the biggest economic growth rate in the world.
By 2040 their total GDP will exceed this of the USA, Germany, France, Great Britain, Japan and Italy. Golden Sax major investment bank provided this prognosis in its last report.

According to this document, Russia will experience "economic wonder" in foreseeable future. By 2027 Russian GDP will keep up with this of Great Britain after overtaking Italian GDP in 2018 and French GDP in 2024. By 2028 ЦНДС Russian economy will overtake German and will become the fifth biggest economy in the world, after China, the US, India and Japan. China will become the leader of the global economy, ITAR-TASS information agency reports

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
That's assuming everything keeps going the same way it is now, which we all know is never how it happens. I remember when that was said about the Japanese economy before they stagnated.

And Russia is projecting 2014. That's only 10 years from now.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
peh, the sum is ten times less than that requested by Americans for the same purpose.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This is true. However, there's always cost creep, too. And they think they can cut the cost by 90% by building the ship in space?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join