It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Possible Anouncement Of Life Found On Mars...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
That would be my boy KleverOne's department.

Took care of that
Wow, this thread has really taken off since this morning when I checked it. Once again, Great Post

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I understand that not all, but many people here on ATS believe in or are even convinced of the existance of intelligent, civilized ET Life. And then they go mad over some friggin microbes from Mars. Escapes me. Life is not as seldom as they want to sell us. Look here on Earth, Life EVERYWHERE, from the deep frozen Arctic to the inside of active volcanoes. And the laws of life must be the same everywhere in the universe, as the laws of physics. Cant 't help it, I feel a bit deceived.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This article highlights NASA's skewed agenda. After NASA determined that Viking's life science experience was a false positive, one would have thought that they would, as scientists are wont to do, follow up the experiment at some point.

Thirty years later, we have rovers trundling around--poking, drilling and photographing--but containing no life detection lab. After 30 years, do you think we could have improved considerably on Viking's primitive attempt?

NASA may say that they are interested in discovering life, but their actions indicate otherwise. Geologists rule JPL and NASA. The exo-biologists are standing in the unemployment line.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
WOW!!

It is one thing to think that there is a high probability for "intelligent" life (ET) outside of Earth, but to actually KNOW there is ANY life out there is better info that hoping there is!

I HOPE THIS IS TRUE AND NOT SOME JOKE!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Apparently not all scientists are jumping on board the life wagon on Mars. One scientist went as far as to call it "bogus"

here is the link

www.space.com...

His way of dismissing it is that Hydrogen Peroxide is deadly to terrestrial organisms. Hardly a viable position to be calling the claim "bogus" in my opinion

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I always wanted to ask these scientists who deny the possibility of ET life in general, then how do you explain your own existance ? (of course without illogical explanations like 'GOD' or 'intelligent Design')- There is no logic in claiming what happend here on Earth cannot happen anywhere else in the Universe.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The paranormal sites are picking this up now, seemingly with more information:

www.theparanormalreport.com...

I wonder what coast will say tonight? Is Richard Houghland going to be on tonight? ::sighs::

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
As exciting as this is, I really doubt much will come from it. After all, they are still debating if the asteroid found on Mars contains fossil-life or not.

I suppose time will tell!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Great post. Flagged and starred!!

I have to laugh every time i start reading the rebuttals from the conservative scientific fraternity. Most of them seem to think life has to be something that would only survive in Earthlike conditions. Nothing could be farther from the truth imo, life, when its found is going to be far stranger and diverse that anything we could imagine.

www.astrobio.net

In the hot springs of Yellowstone National Park, a team of researchers has discovered a novel bacterium that transforms light into chemical energy. The discovery of the chlorophyll-producing bacterium, Candidatus Chloracidobacterium (Cab.) thermophilum, is described in the July 27 issue of the journal Science

www.astrobio.net

The search for life elsewhere in the solar system and beyond should include efforts to detect what scientists sometimes refer to as "weird" life -- that is, life with an alternative biochemistry to that of life on Earth -- says a new report from the National Research Council.

The committee that wrote the report found that the fundamental requirements for life as we generally know it -- a liquid water biosolvent, carbon-based metabolism, molecular system capable of evolution, and the ability to exchange energy with the environment -- are not the only ways to support phenomena recognized as life.

news.nationalgeographic.com

Instead of thriving on water, extraterrestrial organisms might live in a sea of liquid methane. Or instead of getting energy from the sun, they might thrive on hydrochloric acid.

Some more links that may be of interest to some of you in this thread, "weirdo lookin' aliens", including some other research regarding the Viking mission.

[edit on 23/8/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
"Claim of martian life called bogus"

www.space.com...

Of course there's bound to be resistance, and amazingly the phoenix lander wont even be able to detect these compounds or something anyway so it'll be another future mission years down the line before we really know for SURE wont it?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity

...I could have sworn this was covered before, but I could be mistaken...

You are not mistaken. This is not a new story. Here's an article from back in January about this exact same thing from the same german scientist, Joop Houtkooper. Maybe he has new information this time.

PULLMAN, Wash. -- We may already have ‘met’ Martian organisms, according to a paper presented Sunday (Jan. 7) at the meeting of the American Astronomical Society in Seattle.

Dirk Schulze-Makuch of Washington State University and Joop Houtkooper of Justus-Liebig-University, Giessen, Germany, argue that even as new missions to Mars seek evidence that the planet might once have supported life, we already have data showing that may show life exists there now—data from experiments done by the Viking Mars landers in the late 1970s.

Link to similar article from January of this year -- Full Story

There was an ATS thread regarding this article back in January, but I can't find it right now. This story seems to be more popular this time, though. It went largely ignored 7 months ago.

[edit on 8/23/2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
am i the only one unimpressed about microbioorganisms found in soil, and also a big fat MAY have found on all the reports, and that theres a huge difference between some micro dot slow moving wriggly thing in a bit of dirt and an intelligent humanoid race flying silver discs.
I had just the same reaction to when they said they found micro organismy thingys in a comet that came from Mars (i think thats the basic story, i was unimpressed and moved on).
Now some geeky little nerd with glasses and spots will say "dont you know what this means" and my answer to that is "yes, absolutely nothing of any significance and lets pour billions of dollars looking for more microscopic germs rather than caring for life on our own planet."
Flame away trekkies, I wont be back on this thread.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kleverone

Ok it would be cool if they would disclose the truth!But I don't see that coming true for a very long time. If they did find life in mars soil they will cover it up that is a giving.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by eagle32

Typical cut and run.

Finding life outside of our planet is merely the first step. So what if it's only microbes or bacteria, it's an exciting discovery if true. And what a wonderful time to be around when something as exciting as this happens.

Btw why bother even posting a comment if "your not coming back", makes your thoughts on the matter rather redundant.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Wow, couldn't see this one coming.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
For them to admit any type of life exists outside our stratosphere would be a MAJOR devolpment in our life time ....

However... want to know how this will all go .. well read on....

If they do confirm some form of life on mars this will be the official statement....

They will say it did not originate from mars, but the most 'likely' (cough) explanation is that it was transplaneted from earth at some point, we know that earth and Mars trade rocks and it seems very possible that microbes have hitched a ride on more than one occasion through our solar systems 4.5 billion year history, so finding life on Mars would not in itself prove that life has formed from scratch more than once.

To draw that conclusion one would have to demonstrate that Mars life and Earth life were sufficiently different to have had independent origins and not some ancient earth microbe that has mutated to survive..

Exit stage Left Nasa spokesperson........damn them officials!!!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

the demo guy in me says "probably not" as H2O2 is simply a precursor chemical that needs other chemicals to become and explosive and those arent typically found as is in nature.

but the humble "i dont know everything" guy in me says anything is possible...

Originally posted by damajikninja

But we also know that our perception of "intelligence" is based upon ourselves - MANKIND. We are the ONLY intelligent life form we have ever seen! We assume to know what comprises an intelligent, sentient being - yet we still don't understand our own transient existence or where we came from!

on behalf of flipper and all the other dolphins on the planet, i thumb my nose at you
most marine biologists will say a dolphin is as intelligent as a 7yo human child.

Originally posted by cavscout

Originally posted by thelibra
  • Does it have anything we want?

• Or more importantly, do we have anything it wants?

or will it eat us?

Originally posted by Rockpuck

IMHO a discovery of life on another planet, no matter how small would bring every major religion to its knees, rendering it useless, pointless and completely wrong. Which could lead to some violent outrage.. if there is life on another world and we already know about it, that is the sole reason imo to cover it up.

i disagree...but thats just me. i dont think the bible states anywhere that god (if you so believe) put life on ONLY the earth, its just a tale about how life on earth was started.

the logical argument to the religious fanatics that will decry this as misleading news from the devil is obviously "so does god tell you everything he does? everywhere? if he could put us here why could he NOT put life elsewhere?"

or just quote Carl Sagan or the movie "contact" and say if it is just us, what a waste of space...

Originally posted by shyataroo
    wait, am I reading that correctly? did they say hydrogen peroxide based life? isn't hydrogen peroxide a anti-bacterial?

its deadly to bacteria on OUR planet...but we cant assume that the life we are familiar with on our planet would be identical to life anywhere else...and we're finding out all the time we're wrong about our own planets life. how long ago was life near deep ocean vents discovered? and for how long before that was it considered "impossible" for life to exist there?

the sooner humans learn we dont know it all and quit using the term "impossible" the faster we will grow in knowledge.

personally i think this is AMAZING news if its true.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:02 PM
    link   
    Micro-organisms are a bit disappointing. I'd like to say there is a whole lot more than just micro-organisms on Mars. What are the real intentions behind the "disclosure" of this information.

The question is, is this the "whole truth" they will try to saddle us with? "Well folks, all we found outside this planet is micro-organisms. Nothing more to see. We looked already."

Or, is the start of a full disclosure, where we will eventually discover, "Oh, hee, hee, we knew all along there were other humans, and life forms out there."

Troy

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:15 PM
    link   
    You want to hear something weird? I was reading the remainder of this thread and I fell asleep in my chair while reading it. (Earlier I made a post in this thread about the dangers of introducing ET life into our ecosystem.) It's been a long day, so I am tired. While dreaming, I heard two men in my dream, or human figures coming from behind me saying the words "Key-28" just like that, with the dash, no quotation marks though. They even spelled it. So I did what any person would probably do on ATS, which was type it into a search engine:

Key-28

The first listing that came back was a page from Landcare Research Manaaki Whenua. This is what the article says:

Invasive Invertebrates in Natural Ecosystems

Invasive species are organisms (usually transported by humans) that successfully establish, and then thrive, in new environments. Invasive species, together with habitat destruction, have been a major cause of extinction of native species throughout the world in the past few hundred years.

An invasive species can be a micro-organism that causes disease; a plant or animal that competes with a native species for resources (like food or space); a predator of native species; and/or an organism that alters the way an ecosystem works. All these effects can be harmful to native species, and in some cases lead to extinctions.

In New Zealand there are more than 2000 species of invasive invertebrates already established. Some of these, such as Vespula wasps, have become abundant invaders that threaten our native ecosystems. More invasive invertebrates are continually arriving.

Landcare Research is investigating the risk to natural ecosystems posed by invasive ant species established in New Zealand, developing strategies to control wasps and ants, as well as any other invaders that might breach our borders. We are also interested in assessing the potential impacts of new invasive invertebrates and designing monitoring programmes to detect invertebrates before they can establish. The ultimate aim of this research is to protect and restore New Zealand's indigenous biodiversity and natural ecosystems.

Amazing how relative it is to this topic. I am still sort of in shock. I believe coincidences are NOT coincidental, they are just a part of reality we are typically unaware of.

Now I'm going to go scour the internet for everything I can related to the phrase Key-28. Who knows what I'll find. I encourage anyone's help who wishes to do so. You can U2U me your findings. Thanks!!

[edit on 8/23/2007 by pjslug]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:21 PM
    link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
    Micro-organisms are a bit disappointing.

Well, if "Micro-organisms are a bit disappointing" how about inorganic plasma forming life in space. Seriously!!

link

Summary (Aug 21, 2007): Physicists have discovered life-like structures that form from inorganic substances in space. The findings hint at the possibility that life beyond Earth may not necessarily use carbon-based molecules as its building blocks.

"These complex, self-organized plasma structures exhibit all the necessary properties to qualify them as candidates for inorganic living matter," says Tsytovich, "they are autonomous, they reproduce and they evolve".

Posted the same link in another thread as well, how can we really be sure what form life takes, and our interpretation of "intelligence" may well be invalid also.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join