It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modem won't connect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
My wife uses a dial up account and a 56k modem to connect and recently it stopped working.

It gives an error code of 678 and says 'can not connect to remote computer'.

I can hear the dial tone of the phone line, and can make a call when I splice in a phone, and I can hear the modem dialing, but it does not make that squelching sound it used to make before connecting.

I got her a new modem and installed it and it did the same thing.

I'm at a loss to explain why the connection stopped working.

I called the ISP and talked to them and they were no help. They did verify that the account was valid and working.

Any help appreciated!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It could be something making an interference on the phone line.

56K modems are very sensitive to the line condition. Did you install any thing on the phone line (new phone, another modem, fax) or do you remember anything happening that was related to the phone line (someone tripped on a line, another appliance not working as it should)?

When I used a 56K modem I had a problem that was caused by a slightly stretched connection in a phone. The wires where not connecting properly, it was good enough for the phone but not good enough for the modem.

Also, depending on the model, not all modems are capable of reducing their connection speed when trying to connect. My modem sometimes connected at 48K, sometimes only at 33K.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Error Code 678 means that the computer your modem called did not answer.

Error Code 678: Details & Tips

What all did your ISP have you do to try and fix it?

posted on Sep, 10 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
Error Code 678 means that the computer your modem called did not answer.

Error Code 678: Details & Tips

What all did your ISP have you do to try and fix it?

Hi Majik. Uh, the person in tech support didn't do anything and said I needed a new modem. I got one and same thing happened.

I get the connect squeal if I just call that number using the phone that is plugged into the back of the modem, but if I just use the modem itself, I do not get the squeal.

Happened suddenly, like overnight, nothing was changed that I'm aware.

Been stymied ever since.

That link is helpful! He said that the 678 didn't mean anything.

THANKS!

top topics

join