It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-million-year-old ape found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
wow...

10 million years old???

The article says this pre-dates the human/animal split...

LONDON–Researchers working in Ethiopia have unearthed the fossils of a 10-million-year-old ape, a discovery they say suggests that humans and African great apes may have split much earlier than thought.

The Ethiopian and Japanese team named the species Chororapithecus abyssinicus and said it represents the earliest recognized primate directly related to today's gorillas, chimpanzees and bonobos.

Source

Not everyone is jumping on board however. I found this article stating that
'Despite the finds, other researchers are not convinced that the findings are correct.'

Source

I remember reading recently on another thread that Carbon dating is limited in how far it can go back to determine how old something is.

I wonder what method they used to discover this?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by quintar
wow...

10 million years old???

Certainly. Mammals have been around since the Jurassic.

I remember reading recently on another thread that Carbon dating is limited in how far it can go back to determine how old something is.

That's correct -- and it can only do dating on organic things. You can't date fossil bones that have turned to stone, rocks, statues, buildings, etc, etc.

They date by the sediment layers AND by other radiographic techniques that use elements with longer half lives. There's quite literally dozens of ways of getting at the date, and with an important fossil they'll use several to make sure they have a good ballpark date.

Ethiopia seems to be the source for many primates, and some of the oldest hominid fossils are found there.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Good find

It would be interesting to know if they have a general idea of how large the primate was.

new topics

join