It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cruelty to animals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
There have been a couple of threads of late which deal(t) with animal abuse. This also includes some local animal cruelty issues that have come to light.

I am not passionate about many things in life BUT, it would include, my wife, my daughter, my family and my beliefs. However, one thing i am VERY passionate about, and many may not give a damn or even care, I am passionate about animal ANTI-cruelty.

I have grown up with many pets and have lost many pets due to age or illness but ever since i can remember i have always cared. When i hear or see someone abusing animals my blood runs cold and i have to be honest but i have no mercy for anyone like that. I would, if given a chance, be sure to inflict as much of the same on that person.

Ok perhaps i may get flamed but I am passionate about that which has feelings or can feel and an entity, i won't call them people any longer, that harms or injures an animal intentionally i have absolutely no respect and they would be better of not being in my line of sight because I will have no mercy at all.

OK i am done ranting

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by shearder

Flamed? Heck no. Nice post actually. You echo my thoughts for the most part. How can anyone intentionally hurt animals?
I'm not talking about hunters. I don't hun't, but don't chastise those that do.
I'm talking about those that hurt, or even worse, kill just to kill.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Gota' say that I'm completely on your side shearder. I'm not a veggie and enjoy my steak on a saturday, but I dont think any animal deserves to be mistreated or killed just for the hell of it.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm in complete agreement with the OP on this. It's also a fact that many serial killers start out killing and torturing animals.

I can't understand why a person would want to harm an animal or a child both are innocent of harming anyone. All of our critters with the exception of one horse are rescues. The horse we've had the longest we rescued when he was 16 months old. Just so you know he wasn't expected to live but he is now 9 years old and just over 16 hands. He's the sweetest most loving horse I've ever known. He's used in shows and on the trail he the best horse. Bet you can't tell I love him. He's got a forever home with us.

Ok I forgot to log Seagull out; we share the same computer so it's really me Galloping Hordes writing this. Now I'll log him out.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by seagull]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kurokage
Gota' say that I'm completely on your side shearder. I'm not a veggie and enjoy my steak on a saturday, but I dont think any animal deserves to be mistreated or killed just for the hell of it.

I totally don't mean this to come off like I'm picking on you Kurokage, or anyone on this thread. It's seriously not my intention.

But I hafta ask: If we're against animal cruelty (as I, along with everyone else so far, agree entirely with the OP), how are we defining animal cruelty?

Any cruelty done to any animal?

I'm asking this because I'm in a constant battle with myself over eating meat. (I'm not advocating one way or the other, I'm just saying.) If a cow is killed so that I may eat it, and the cow was (more usual than not) mistreated while alive, doesn't that count as animal abuse? ...isn't the killing a form of abuse in and of itself?

Where's the line drawn? or, rather, Where do you guys draw the line?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   
To lombozo and others, thanks for the great replies. I am glad there are others that feel the same as i do.

Originally posted by Diseria
If a cow is killed so that I may eat it, and the cow was (more usual than not) mistreated while alive, doesn't that count as animal abuse? ...isn't the killing a form of abuse in and of itself?

Where's the line drawn? or, rather, Where do you guys draw the line?

Hey Diseria; I know what you mean. I also eat meat and sometimes wonder if i would ever make it as a vegetarian. The answer - probably not. However, I think it comes down to how the animal is treated while it is alive and when it goes to meet its end. It is dying so we can have a slab of meat on our plates. I can't even comprehend the though of knowing that, if i was a cow, i was being bred to die a horrible death. I believe the way they are being killed IS a form of abuse - absolutely. Imagine being hung from 1 back leg and then having your throat slit and then being dismembered before you are even dead. Very inhumane. This is societies fault actually. Demands for meat etc have increased and this is what the producers have sunken to. It's almost like these people are all psychopathic or antisocial and have no conscience or feelings.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I'll admit right up front, I eat meat, and I've probably killed more animals than anyone else replying to this thread.

I need to say that every animal I've killed has been for food, and I take no pleasure in taking away their life. I feel humans are omnivores, and killing is a necessary part of our survival.

Far to many people have removed themselves from the act of killing by thinking that meat come from little packages at your local grocer. But behind that pack of chicken or steak is a killer, a gutter, a butcher, and a packer.

All you see at the market is a little packet of meat ready for cooking, and the shopper is totally removed from the ugly side of preparing that meat for sale, and the preparation is very ugly and disgusting.

I find factory farming of fowl and veal to be very cruel, and even milk production has created cows with massive udders that become painful without regular milking.

Nature never intended for a cow to look like this:

This is entirely the work of humans, and a cow would never have an udder this engorged just to feed it's young. But we breed them this way so we can eat butter, have cream, and give our kid a glass of milk.

Are the painfully engorged udders on dairy cows worth this ?

Maybe not, but our survival depends on their suffering.

I won't stop consuming animal products, but if I kill the animal, I'll do it in the most painless and least stressful way I can for the animal.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Far to many people have removed themselves from the act of killing by thinking that meat come from little packages at your local grocer. But behind that pack of chicken or steak is a killer, a gutter, a butcher, and a packer.

I am 100% with you on this AD! With going to the supermarket comes ignorance as to where our food comes from. And though I also eat meat and chicken, and have seen and heard of these inhumane methods, I am still mindful of what an animal will go through so i can drink a glass of milk and eat a nice texan steak or buffalo wings. BUT again, we need to highlight the atrocities and try and bring about some sort of change. How that would actually take place may not be that clear and has possibly been tried a number of times with out much success.

All we can do is try and change 1% of what we know takes place and that is already an improvement. I also know that trying to get people to stop eating meat etc will never be realistic in trying to champion the cause.

My uncle has a dairy and have jersey cows for the most part and i can guarantee that none of them look like this. Also, there is no way they pack trucks in the fashion we have seen. They are almost like pets to them and they deliver more than enough milk naturally.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder

My uncle has a dairy and have jersey cows for the most part and i can guarantee that none of them look like this. Also, there is no way they pack trucks in the fashion we have seen. They are almost like pets to them and they deliver more than enough milk naturally.

Thanks shearder,

I've milked Jerseys, and not only the fact that they give good high cream milk, they are a gentle animal that takes to milking easily. I do find they prefer hand milking over mechanical, they seem to enjoy the personnel contact.

Farming animals is not gonna go away, so all we can do is make the conditions for the animals better and as least stressful as possible.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Absolutely! They have fantastic milk and creamy as hell. I love it. Yes they do prefer hand milking though they still go on an automated system that rotates like a huge turntable. They go on, it turns and they get off. Seems pretty quick and painless.

I agree, the best we can do is try and make it better for the animals.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
...our survival depends on their suffering.

Does it though? (And again, these are the questions I pose to myself daily...)

Our brains evolved because of the nutrients in plants. Most of the nutrients our bodies need can be found in plants. (I say most because there is some debate about a few proteins that are only found in meat.)

We have heart disease and however many other problems because of red meat. (I will admit, however, that at least some of these problems are from too much red meat, in conjunction with too little exercise.)

We know that one can live a healthy life without meat, still getting the majority of what the body requires to keep working. It's been done for thousands of years...

Here's a question for y'all: If you had to kill animals yourself for food (not a survival out-in-the-woods-the-#-has-hit-the-fan kinda situation, but for everyday living), would you do it?

I couldn't. And when I get out to a farm, I shall be a vegetarian simply because of that fact.

Edited because I used the wrong word. :shk:

[edit on 24-8-2007 by Diseria]

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diseria
Here's a question for y'all: If you had to kill animals yourself for food (not a survival out-in-the-woods-the-#-has-hit-the-fan kinda situation, but for everyday living), would you do it?

Probably not! My conscience would bug me too much. I don't have the heart to kill something. Though I admit i have shot a squirrel and after that I was wrecked - like something torn from my heart and i haven't killed anything ever since. I am a wimp when it comes to that. I am too soft hearted i guess.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I'm passionate about anti-cruelty as well. I've been a vegetarian(for health and love of animals reason) for over 10 years now, as well as an active Animal Rights advocate. Animal abuse, just as abuse of people, should not be tolerated. People shouldn't be afraid to speak of their compassion! Thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Animal abuse, just as abuse of people, should not be tolerated. People shouldn't be afraid to speak of their compassion!

You are so right. We should speak out more about these abuses including abuse toward kids and woman. In fact, abused aimed at men too. I lived in an area where the father of friend of mine was a lawyer and he was telling us that the shocking reality that we did not hear about was that the abuse toward men by woman outweighed abuse toward women by men.

I was shocked to hear what some men went through. BUT the essence of the matter is any sort of abuse is wrong and I am against it - period.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Ok, I feel that I'm about to step on to a minefield so let me see if my words come out right. Let me start by saying that I do not condone anyone breaking the law or nothing if you did the crime do the time.

With that said, I do not have those strong feelings towards animals that other people do and that might be part of the problem here. I don't understand sometimes the people that get so outraged let's say by the Michael Vick situation, I understand he broke the law no question about that, but I can not relate to their anger about what those animals went through. In my country we have roosters fight all the time, is legal though, I go to those all the time and find it pretty exciting. And I don't feel sorry about it.
Should I? I mean I'm indifferent to what happens to a dog, cat, or any pet or animal in general. That's just me.

My point is that not everybody share the same feelings towards something in this case animals. To me animal cruelty is more something about breaking the law than anything else.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
Ok, I feel that I'm about to step on to a minefield...

Nope, i don't think you stepped on a mine field at all. You have an opinion and i feel you are allowed to voice it

...that might be part of the problem here. I don't understand sometimes the people that get so outraged let's say by the Michael Vick situation, I understand he broke the law no question about that, but I can not relate to their anger about what those animals went through.

I am sure you are not alone. But would you willingly and knowingly go out of your way to hurt an animal? I am sure you wouldn't based on what you said further down. But would it be purely because it is against the law or because you would feel bad hurting an animal?

In my country we have roosters fight all the time, is legal though...I don't feel sorry about it. Should I? ...I'm indifferent to what happens to a dog, cat, or any pet or animal...

This i don't think i could answer, i can't tell anyone how they should feel, because i would feel bad about it as i feel it is wrong and i would never end up going to anything that involves intentional animal fighting/abuse.

...not everybody share the same feelings... To me animal cruelty is more something about breaking the law than anything else.

You are right. Everyone is different. I had a friend that couldn't be bothered but again he wasn't brought up with pets of his own and so wasn't exposed to having to care for or grow to love an animal and i guess that's where his indifference came from. But then again you get people that are anti-social and the way they were brought up gives rise to personalities that we would normally associate with serial killers. They have no conscience what so ever and DO know the difference between right and wrong but just don't care.

Please know that I have in no way assumed you would fall into that sort of category, or even placed you into a category, and I do not judge you at all.

Thanks for your post.

[edit on 28/8/2007 by shearder]

new topics

top topics

join