It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think happens after death?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by superevoman
solid, liquid, gas, plasma,......, and energy?
what is he 5th form?

there's a form of matter below solid, less energy, forget the name of it

Apparently there are six now:

gas
liquid
solid
plasma
Bose-Einstein condensate
fermionic condensate

And no, I didn't know this off the top of my head, I googled it. I'm more into evolutionary biology.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Condensates seem to be very strange indeed..

Condensates are extremely low-temperature fluids with properties that are currently not completely understood, such as spontaneously flowing out of their container. The effect is the consequence of quantum mechanics, which states that systems can only acquire energy in discrete steps. If a system is at such a low temperature that it is in the lowest energy state, it is no longer possible for it to reduce its energy, not even by friction. Without friction, the fluid will easily overcome gravity because of adhesion between the fluid and the container wall, and it will take up the most favorable position, all around the container.

Strange

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Ha ha, SoT, did you see all those equations on that page? THAT is why I didn't go into the sciences. I can do theory all day long, but put in the equations and math and it's "duh" time for me.

Really sucks, I like science.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Major,
I am with you on that one. I love the theories, et cetera, but you can keep the equations. LOL

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Ha ha, SoT, did you see all those equations on that page? THAT is why I didn't go into the sciences. I can do theory all day long, but put in the equations and math and it's "duh" time for me.

Really sucks, I like science.

I am so glad I don't have to integrate this, from that page:

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by superevoman
solid, liquid, gas, plasma,......, and energy?
what is he 5th form?

there's a form of matter below solid, less energy, forget the name of it

Anti-matter, dark matter dont forget about them, oh and dark energy, so 8 forms mabe?, anyway sry about of topicness.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
But wait! There's more!

Phases

In bulk, matter can exist in several different phases, according to pressure and temperature. A phase is a state of a macroscopic physical system that has relatively uniform chemical composition and physical properties (i.e. density, crystal structure, index of refraction, and so forth). These phases include the three familiar ones — solids, liquids, and gases — as well as plasmas, superfluids, supersolids, Bose-Einstein condensates, fermionic condensates, liquid crystals, strange matter and quark-gluon plasmas. There are also the paramagnetic and ferromagnetic phases of magnetic materials. As conditions change, matter may change from one phase into another. These phenomena are called phase transitions, and their energetics are studied in the field of thermodynamics.

In small quantities, matter can exhibit properties that are entirely different from those of bulk material and may not be well described by any phase.

Phases are sometimes called states of matter, but this term can lead to confusion with thermodynamic states. For example, two gases maintained at different pressures are in different thermodynamic states, but the same "state of matter".

It's official. Now my brain hurts.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
When you die your blood flow stops and your brain cells are deprived of oxygen. They die one after the other and the information that was once "you" is lost forever.

Game Over.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
But wait! There's more!

Phases

In bulk, matter can exist in several different phases, according to pressure and temperature. A phase is a state of a macroscopic physical system that has relatively uniform chemical composition and physical properties (i.e. density, crystal structure, index of refraction, and so forth). These phases include the three familiar ones — solids, liquids, and gases — as well as plasmas, superfluids, supersolids, Bose-Einstein condensates, fermionic condensates, liquid crystals, strange matter and quark-gluon plasmas. There are also the paramagnetic and ferromagnetic phases of magnetic materials. As conditions change, matter may change from one phase into another. These phenomena are called phase transitions, and their energetics are studied in the field of thermodynamics.

In small quantities, matter can exhibit properties that are entirely different from those of bulk material and may not be well described by any phase.

Phases are sometimes called states of matter, but this term can lead to confusion with thermodynamic states. For example, two gases maintained at different pressures are in different thermodynamic states, but the same "state of matter".

It's official. Now my brain hurts.
No crap i think i am a wee bit out of my depth, i am only in high school man, but its still cool. thanks for the info! so which ones make up a human? i take it solid liquid and gas(lol) but what others? and can they be detected and mesured after death?

[edit on 053131p://0908pm by superevoman]

Edn

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Quite simply really, your reincarnated. At least whats you physically is reincarnated, you decompose, become part of the Earth, the grass feeds off of you, the cows eat the grass and so on, eventually you would become part of almost everything in some way.

As for the mind (or sole, or basially you) thats another question which i dont think can simply be put by as you die, are dead for ever, there is no black because to cease to be. Simply because we have no proof to show this, of course there is little proof (though id say some evidence) that something does happen after our bodies die.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Dead, not gone

Originally posted by thehumbleone

Originally posted by Astyanax
Nonsense. Before I was born I didn't exist. A nonexistent thing cannot be either alive or dead. Nonexistence and death are two very different conditions; you're getting them confused.

This sounded so retarded I have to call you out on it.

I won't try to refute it, instead, I'll just let you think about what you typed.

Well, I must be more retarded even than this sounds, because I can't see it.

A rock exists, but it is not living.

A stonecrusher reduces the rock to powder. The rock has ceased to exist, but it is not dead.

The Shorter Oxford Dictionary, which you may find at a public library near you, contains no less than 26 definitions of the word 'dead' and 8 definitions of the word 'death'. Not one of them has anything to do with nonexistence.

Right, Cleverclogs: you 'called me', I came. Now let's hear the refutation you so signally failed to provide in your previous post.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Is it her shape, or her personal magentism?

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

What kind of energy are we, Speaker?

Well, considering that EVERYTHING has an electromagnetic field around it, else, we wouldn't even have form, I would suppose it would be electromagnetic in nature.

Don't know where you heard that

1. 'EVERYTHING has an electromagnetic field around it...' Only electrically charged bodies do. Not all bodies are electrically charged.

2. '...else, we wouldn't even have form.' What on earth has the electromagnetic field around a body to do with giving that body shape? You're not a cloud of ionized gas. Are you confusing plasma with ectoplasm or something?

Or have you been visiting too many New Age scrambled-brains sites like this one?

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
When you die your blood flow stops and your brain cells are deprived of oxygen. They die one after the other and the information that was once "you" is lost forever.

Game Over.

I swear, I think some of you are robots, honestly. You guys say the same thing over and over and over... It's leg slapping hilarious really..

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think one of two things may happen.

1. You cease to exist, you die, that's it, the end, you basically cease to exist as
anything more than a lump of decaying biomatter.

2. The bodies natural energy fields coalesce into a non-corporeal energy matrix upon
which your mind/memories/self is transfered/copied to and you continue existing
as a non-corporeal energy being.

Personally I don't intend to find out, I am going to do whatever it takes short of killing,
well if they try to kill me first I can't guarantee there continual existence while I defend
myself, to continue to live, even if that means turning myself into a Cydroid or more.

[edit on 8/26/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   

1. 'EVERYTHING has an electromagnetic field around it...' Only electrically charged bodies do. Not all bodies are electrically charged.

Well everything that has protons and electrons has an electromagnetic field. Just because you are neutrally charged, doesn't mean there is no field, you're just not looking small enough.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
www-usr.rider.edu...

"The Emperor asked Master Gudo, "What happens to a man of enlightenment after death?"

"How should I know?" replied Gudo.

"Because you are a master," answered the Emperor.

"Yes sir," said Gudo, "but not a dead one." "

www-usr.rider.edu...

"The emperor, who was a devout Buddhist, invited a great Zen master to the Palace in order to ask him questions about Buddhism. "What is the highest truth of the holy Buddhist doctrine?" the emperor inquired.

"Vast emptiness... and not a trace of holiness," the master replied.

"If there is no holiness," the emperor said, "then who or what are you?"

"I do not know," the master replied. "

[edit on 26-8-2007 by pai mei]

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I swear, I think some of you are robots, honestly. You guys say the same thing over and over and over... It's leg slapping hilarious really..

Glad you find it amusing, if you have a more plausible hypothesis feel free to post it

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

A rock exists, but it is not living.

A stonecrusher reduces the rock to powder. The rock has ceased to exist, but it is not dead.

Right, Cleverclogs: you 'called me', I came. Now let's hear the refutation you so signally failed to provide in your previous post.

And what was a rock before it became a rock? It came from the earth right? so therefore it always existed in one form or another. Or did the matter that makes up the rock suddenly pop out of nowhere?

It's the same thing with you, before you existed in your bodily form, you were just an itch in you daddy's pants.

But, you still existed in one form or another.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i can tell you with all honesty
one saturday morning a presence walked into my bedroom, which woke me from a deep sleep (i only go into deep sleeps in the morning).
i had this very strong feeling of someone being in the room but could not see anybody. after a few times of looking around the bedroom and not seeing anybody, i laid back down and was facing outside of the bed with this very strong feeling, when suddenly i felt someone sit down on the other side of the bed.
that person then laid down and slide across the bed until we were spooning. we laid there for about 2 or 3 minutes, then i panicked and jumped out of bed squealing and as quickly as that, the feeling of her in the room disappeared.
i was left standing, shaking and very badly confused.
i then felt guilty about scaring her and i still do

i honestly believe a special person in my life had just died and had came to say goodbye, she has never came back and yes i have tried my best too get her too come back but no luck (so far).
i now believe there is something else after death
but i dont want to find out what that is, well not yet anyway

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Of being and not knowing

Originally posted by thehumbleone
And what was a rock before it became a rock? It came from the earth right? so therefore it always existed in one form or another.

But not as a rock. The rock did not exist before it became a rock.

Did the matter that makes up the rock suddenly pop out of nowhere?

It was part of a boulder, perhaps; before that, it was part of a stratum. Before that it was marine sediment and before that it was mud, excreta and dead things. At one time it was part of a star and nothing about it remotely resembled a rock.

Matter has existed in one form or another since the Big Bang. We give these forms different names because they are different things. At some point all things cease to be, and the matter that comprises them becomes other things. Do you regard all distinctions between things as meaningless? Is your world an undifferentiated mass of grey, lukewarm goo?

It's the same thing with you, before you existed in your bodily form, you were just an itch in you daddy's pants. But, you still existed in one form or another.

And before my 'daddy' was born? Was I then an itch inside the itch in his daddy's pants? And what, precisely, was this 'itch'? In what sense was that me?

Before I was conceived, the DNA blueprint that defines me did not exist at all, in my father's pants or anywhere else; it came into being at that moment and is unique. So how could I have existed in any way prior to my conception? What was it that existed? What was it that was 'dead' before I was born, as the member who first started this foolish argument stated? Can something be 'dead', which has never lived? Or to exist, that has never been?

Look, friend: I have taken you and the earlier poster far more seriously than your comments deserve, patiently explaining what should be obvious to any schoolchild. You're on to a loser; you can probably see that for yourself now. This never was an argument you had any hope of winning, not because of relative cleverness or anything but because you're just plain wrong.

So do me a little favour. The name of this subject we're discussing, it's called ontology. Look it up. Find out a bit about it. Take your time. Come back here with a meaningful post -- either a competent defence of your position or an honest admission that you were wrong. I would respect you infintely more than I do now if you were to do that.

Till then, it's bye-bye from me.

[edit on 27-8-2007 by Astyanax]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join