It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO Warns of Global Epidemic Risk

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   

WHO Warns of Global Epidemic Risk

news.bbc.co.uk

Infectious diseases are spreading faster than ever before, the World Health Organization annual report says.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Nothing to freak out about just yet - they are pretty much stating the obvious. We aren't going to have a huge "28 Days Later" style outbreak in the next few days. (I hope.) It is interesting to see the WHO get in the media and talk about it though. At first glance, this article spins the reader into thinking there is an imminent threat.

I wonder if we will ever have to submit to blood analysis, medical screening, and urinalysis before we board a plane to keep diseases from spreading.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8/23/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Hi, there was a person on ATS the other day that claimed his brother had seen a snippet from a news cast about small pox. Well sorry to say I did not follow the thread after a few of the posts as it looked like a dead lead at that point, but I did go straight over to the WHO website and check it out. Looked like there was a little rise once again in bird flu but no emminent threat to large populations. Ill check back on this thread and talk more (yawn) good night

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
What I find interesting is that the article mentions that almost half of it's outbreak alerts come from the media rather than the governments. That's something that needs to change. I can understand the governments have legitimate things to keep secret from eachother, but highly infectious diseases need to be discussed openly. This isn't elementary school where you only talk about cooties in quiet.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Here is a link to the WHO Report.

Here is link to the WHO News Release concerning the report.

Antar, I think I remember seeing the thread you are referring to. I can't say that I read very far into it either.

Cyberdude, you make some valid points as well. If does seem a bit daft that the epidemiological community would rely on news reports from the media.

[edit on 8/23/2007 by damajikninja]

new topics

top topics

join