It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Freedoms Did We Lose?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
People keep asking what freedoms we lost, well here is a list.

The Patriot Act

The Patriot Act allows Spying, Government Access to Phone + Email Communications, Access To Other Records.

Violation of the Fourth Amendment.

SOCIAL: Patriot Act - Good policy?

The Military Commissions Act

Anyone Deemed An Enemy Combatant Can Be Detained Indefinitely Without A Trial.

Violation of the Fifth and Sixth Amendment.

Congress are going to pass a bill today, that will change your world
New Legislation: American Citizens Can Be Tried In Military Tribunal (Op/Ed)

The Protect America Act of 2007

Increases Spying And Wiretapping Powers.

Again a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Federal Government Gains Increased Wiretap Authority

Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act

Allows The Warrantless Opening of Mail.

Violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Bush approves warrantless opening of mail (Wake up you acolyte sheep)

The REAL ID Act of 2005

National ID Card That Will Be Required To Enter Federal Buildings Or Fly In Aircraft -- Takes Effect In December 2009

Real ID Act

Free speech zones

Free speech zones are one of the most unconstitutional things I have ever heard of. They are areas where activists are forced to protest, and are often placed out of sight, making the protest ineffective.

Violation of the First Amendment

Democracies new free speech zone
Dissing dissent

Also FBI Monitoring Internet

You can't forget martial law...

Martial Law hasn't been enacted yet, but it seems they have plans for it.

John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007 ~ Sec. 1076

Bush authorizes martial law

NSPD 51

Encreased Presidential Power And Possible Martial Law In The Event Of A "Catastrophic Emergency Severely Affecting The U.S. Population, Infrastructure, Environment, Economy, or Government Functions"

CoG: National Security Presidential Directive #51
Bush's Martial Law Plan Is So Shocking, Even Congress Can't See it

Homeland Security Enlists Clergy to Quell Public Unrest if Martial Law is Ever Declared

They may not be arresting everyone that criticizes the government, but I still think that this is a significant loss of freedom and privacy.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Every member should read this.
DocMoreau

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The only one of those that I have a problem with is the "Free Speech Zone". That's pretty lame.

The others I don't have a problem with. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. I'd rather someone keep an eye on things, and try to snuff out terrorism before it happens, than do nothing and have another 9/11...or rather, lots of 9/11's 'cause we've already foiled a few plans due to these "loss of freedoms".

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaruseleh
If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

That’s just an incredibly naive thing to say, Jaruseleh. You always have something to worry about, because there will always be someone out there who is willing to use their position to your detriment and their benefit. Just pick up any paper on any day and you’ll see that there are plenty of those types of people in government. The more information people have on you, the greater their ability to take advantage of it. This is why there is no freedom without privacy, and why you don't leave your keys, your financial or medical info, or your passwords laying about for all to access.

There is also the issue of who it is that defines what’s ‘wrong’. What if the gov. decides that you are thinking the wrong way, or saying the wrong things, or having sex the wrong way, or with the wrong person? Suddenly, you have something to worry about. Too bad you already gave the gov. permission to video your every move 24 yrs a day. Guess you better just do whatever they think is ‘right’ huh?

When the people have privacy, and the governments actions are in the open, there is freedom.

When the governments actions are hidden, and the people have no privacy, there is slavery.

PS Rock On!!

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The only one of those that I have a problem with is the "Free Speech Zone". That's pretty lame.

The others I don't have a problem with. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. I'd rather someone keep an eye on things, and try to snuff out terrorism before it happens, than do nothing and have another 9/11...or rather, lots of 9/11's 'cause we've already foiled a few plans due to these "loss of freedoms".

What about the loss of Habeus Corpus? That should be the scariest one of them all. Also, do you think it's right that we "fight for freedom", yet take our most basic freedoms away? It's scary that even if you don't do anything, you could be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get sent to prison for an INDEFINITE period of time.

If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.

How far can it go before you do have something to worry about?

[edit on 15-9-2007 by bigbert81]

posted on Sep, 15 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Alien42

Hey, would you mind adding the website addresses to the links you've provided? I would like to print out your post and make a couple copies of it.

Thank you.

Btw, here's another link people should look at:

www.nyclu.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jaruseleh

Even if you think that The Patriot Act and The Protect America Act are necessary, how can you not have a problem with The Military Commissions Act? How does it protect the U.S.? Or NSPD 51, or martial law?

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The others I don't have a problem with. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about.
The Constitution insures our rights for a reason, Some of our most basic freedoms are becoming enough to get you on a watch list and even be detained, The very men who wrote the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and within it the Bill of Rights, would be in Gitmo right now if they were alive.

Are you so willing to give up what they fought so hard to preserve, because of some speed bump?
Our Government tells us the terrorists attacked us because they hate our freedoms, they hate liberty, Yet the terrorists took neither from us, And the very Government sworn to protect those freedoms, is the one taking them away.

Government is instituted among men, the protect the rights of man.
Taking those rights away to protect those rights makes no sense.

I ask you this, What freedoms have We gained from this war on terror? What freedoms have We lost? For the freedoms We have lost far outweigh those in which We have gained, for We have gained no more then a false sense of security.

I'd rather someone keep an eye on things, and try to snuff out terrorism before it happens, than do nothing and have another 9/11...or rather, lots of 9/11's 'cause we've already foiled a few plans due to these "loss of freedoms".

How are they going to protect your children in school from a man who walks into your childs lunchroom with a backpack full of explosives and nails?

This is the terrorism that will effect the common man, and giving up your rights wont protect you from this.

posted on Sep, 21 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
thanks for bumping this thread. flagged, and i hope the OP intends to keep this updated.

posted on Sep, 22 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Gun Control

H.R. 1022: Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007
I told you it wouldn't be long
Govtrack

H.R. 2640: NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007
H.R. 2640: Another Dig At The 2nd Amendment?
Govtrack

S. 456: Gang Abatement and Prevention Act of 2007
Govtrack

Although I support limited gun control, I feel that this goes way to far. Thankfully they haven't passed Congress yet.

[edit on 9/22/2007 by Alien42]

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004

No air travel within the US or abroad without prior government approval

IRTPA requires the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to take over the conducting of pre-flight comparisons of airline passenger information to Federal Government watch lists for international and domestic flights. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is currently developing the Secure Flight program and issuing this rulemaking to implement this congressional mandate.
en.wikipedia.org...

Airline personnel will have the right to demand government-issued ID be shown if ordered by the TSA to do so, but those orders are to remain confidential so there is no oversight as to when the airline has been ordered to request ID and when they are requesting it on their own imperative.
en.wikipedia.org...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These haven't passed Congress yet, but I thought I would add them anyway.

FISA Amendments Act of 2007: Physical Searches Without a Warrant

House Passes "Thought Crime" Prevention Bill

top topics

join