It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo moon landings and the ISS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I am seeking your feedback on these observations:

1. During the press conference following Apollo 13, the astronauts repeatedly complained about the intense cold they had to endure throughout their voyage. Due to a power loss, they could not run their heaters.

Hollywood really embellishes this by having Tom Hanks banging a frozen-solid hot dog against the inside of the cabin in the movie Apollo 13.

2. The ISS requires an extensive cooling system comprised of huge, shaded radiators, to sustain a habitable environment. The ISS is only exposed to sunlight during half its orbit.

The Apollo 13 mission took a total of 6 days, during which the craft was exposed to uninterupted sunlight. Therefore, I have difficulty believing that the crew was ever cold.

jra

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by -Dulce-
The Apollo 13 mission took a total of 6 days, during which the craft was exposed to uninterupted sunlight. Therefore, I have difficulty believing that the crew was ever cold.

Well like you said, they didn't have any power on. The electronics heat up the insides of the space craft very easily. I spend my days inside 737's and when the power is turned on, those things get very warm inside. The Sun doesn't do much for heating up the inside of the space craft, due to the very reflective outter surface which reflects a large amount of the Suns energy.

I'm sure if the ISS lost all power, it would become rather cold inside as well.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by jra]

join