It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are They Making Us Dream?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
So, are they making us dream?
By they I mean Governments in association with some scientists and doctors food manufactures, water testing people etc.. If they are, I wonder how they are doing it.

Maybe by the required shots at birth and while in the womb, or vaccines, or maybe even by some disguised medications or by putting something in the food or water or maybe even new methods such as chemtrails etc.. Perhaps when the drug senses a change in your body, temperature/readings/breathing rate/eye movements etc... it kicks in so to speak and makes you start to dream. This dreaming caused by drugs idea was used in a book call The Giver, which was written by Lois Lawry.

So why would they want to cause us to dream, you ask? Well, that is a good question. What would they gain by making us dream, I wonder?

Also, perhaps this can explain the concept of Lucid dreaming. When your mind wakes up before the drug picks up on it, you continue dreaming. But when the drug senses(for lack of a better word) your awake and alert, it stops inducing the dream.

Maybe this can explain the Nightmare feeling as well. As well as the feeling that you can't wake up out of your dream sometimes even though you know your mind is awake.

So do you think this is possible? I am unsure, but I don't have proof to say that it is/isnt, at least not at this point.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
nah, people have been dreaming forever, dogs dream, cats dream.

I dream but never remember them... I could see using subliminal messaging effecting our dreams. What would be the point of making people dream? Other then to sell products, maybe.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well, why would they be making us dream? I mean, what's the motivation? My dreams don't seem to have much in common with eachother, let alone the dreams of everyone else.

I'm not arguing against the method. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for a drug to exist in the water supply that could feasibly influence our dreams. The drug would have to influence our unconscious state in a way pretty specific, since we barely remember our dreams which indicates that we don't really take too much stock in those dreams in our day-to-day lives. I just don't know how realistic it would be. I think there are probably more effectve ways of controlling our minds while we're awake.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I read "The Giver" too, great book! "Gathering Blue" & "Messenger" are great as well. I don't know about drugs to make you dream, I always figured aliens would just use telepathy for something like that. Maybe the mad scientists and forces that seek control are into drugs and most likely sound waves to do such things.
Have you ever read "The Martian Chronicals" by Ray Bradbury???
It's Really Really good!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Maybe the substance in question is activating only part of our brain and not activating other parts of our brain that control reality.

Recent research
suggests that dreams consist of parts of our brain at work without connection to other parts that deal directly with reality. That is,
without the active participation of the frontal lobes that keep us on track as members of a functioning society.

So I'm not too certain of the exact seide effects of dreaming if any at all, does anyone else know of any listed ones? there may be some in a scientific journal or scholarly article.

[edit on 8/22/2007 by agent violet]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Oh, yeah, they can make you have all kinds of dreams:

Michael Carneal, Paducah, KY, Heath H.S., 12-1-97, 3 dead, 5 wounded
--"Carneal told one psychiatrist that he felt like he was in a dream..." "It was like I was in a dream, and I woke up." Carneal's home room teacher reported that Carneal did not seem to recognize what he had done."

Eric Harris, Columbine, 4-20-99
--A fellow student(Dustin Harrison) had Eric Harris in his psychology class: "He just basicially said that he was having trouble with this recurring dream--that he woke up one morning and came into the school, and he just started shooting students and teachers as they came by, and then he said it always ended up....ended with him just blowing the school up.

--Harris: "In fact a dream I had yesterday was about a "deathmatch" level that I have never, ever been to. It was so vivid and detailed...."

--"Exhibit 4 was found to contain... various school assignments from Eric Harris. Several of these appear to be creative writing assignments and deal with violence and dream sequences similar to the shooting."

Jeff Weise, Red Lake HS, 3-21-05 10 dead, 4 wounded
--"Lately I've been having some really strange dreams, they seem very realistic and filled with colour and sounds, ....a few night's ago I had this dream where I saw this very evil, very creepy canine's face coming toward's me, and I heard someone say "shoot!," either way everything went black and I could feel my whole body jerking and shaking, and while this was happening I could hear very loud and very distinct gunshot's, mostly machine gun fire... I found it very weird and woke up immediately after feeling a little disoriented... ."
--"I feel a strong connection to the 1930s and Nazi Germany, I used to have small "clips" (I just call them that, because they were really short, but really detailed), in my head as a kid and still do have them now and then, a few of them were of parades and combat scenarios... My mom used to tell me I used to ask her "remember when I died?" (Web postings)

Kimveer Gill, 25, Dawson Jr. College, Montreal College, 9-13-06 3 dead
--"Many teenagers feel isolated and alone, and for such a reason they may create an imaginary reality within their own mind, such as shooting people." (from Gill's web postings)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
that would be messed up if they were

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I am pretty sure I heard the father of the boy involved in th Dawson shooting say his son had paranoid delusions that he was being watched by the cia in a tv inteview, it was something about how these kids get no proper care or psychological help because the system sucks.. would like to see that again. I rememeber making a comment to my bf about it, like these kids are under mind control.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Well, caffeine right before sleep usually causes me to dream a lot. So does melatonin, but that makes sense due to the fact that your body produces it at night which makes you sleepy. But I wouldn't associate such things to a dream conspiracy involving the government. Though that might would make for an interesting novel, I don't see how the government would benefit much from inducing your average nonsensical dream.

Anyways, for the aborigines, dreams have always been an important part of their belief system. In fact, their creation story is referred to as the "Dreamtime". They even see dreams as being more real than consciousness. It is very interesting. If you've never read up on it before, check it out... aboriginalart.com.au...

On a side note, last night I dreamed I bought a motorcycle and the engine blew, only the engine was made of popsicle sticks and I couldn't find a replacement popsicle stick engine. It was very frustrating.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
El Sueño de la Razon Produce Monstruos

Yes, that's right, people never had dreams before twentieth-century science and technology made them possible. Before that we just went out like lights and never twitched all night.

That Freud fellow was ahead of his time, interpreting dreams people hadn't even begun to have yet.

And all those famous historical and literary dreams, like the ones in Homer and Virgil and Shakespeare, well, those were just... flashforwards or something.

Go google the title of this post, and stop making yourself look so silly.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I think that E-M means are the most likely to be able to influence dreams, or conscious thought for that matter. We know about brainwaves and can no doubt reproduce the correct frequencies, the question is, can we 'overwrite' the brainwaves to produce the thought patterns desired?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
The last couple of weeks I have had about three dreams relating to food in which I found quite out of the ordinary. One dream, I dreamt I was eating ice cream, vanilla with caramel swirls in it.....the dream felt so real, as if I were actually eating the ice cream. Upon waking up, I ofcourse had one hell of a craving for ice cream, in which I discovered there was no ice cream in the freezer!!! If I were not such a lazy bastard, I could have driven to the store to buy some. Another such dream involved potato chips. I dreamt I was eating regular salted potato chips...not really my flavor.....but I sure loved them in my dream, and after waking up I had one hell of a craving for regular potato chips. Ofcourse I don't eat potato chips as they would simply turn me into a fat tubbo with no ambition...as if I had any to begin with.
Ofcourse the McDonalds dream about eating 3 breakfast burritos did infact motivate me to actually go and get me some damn breakfast burritos upon waking up.
The television was not on, so I wouldn't blame subliminal advertising, but something is deffinatly trying to make me buy foods that will kill me faster.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Astyanax: while I do value your opinions on the threads in which I have seen you post, I dont see why you would act in such an un-civil manner by making an attack against me. I am actually surprised that ATS allows this kind of action. I have noticed this on thread upon thread where people are being cruel and attacking other people. This shouldn't be tolerated, Imo. I am going to start cataloging them all.

Besides, you do you have proof that Homer and Virgil was in fact based on a dream that shakespeare had while he was asleep?

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I wouldn't say that anyone is making us dream. But perhaps the many radio waves, television signals, cell phone signals, and the such are indeed messing with what we infact dream about.

I edited this in here:
I was once a heavy user of some illegal substance I will not name....which somehow either made me not dream for the 5 years I used it on a daily basis, or simply messed with my memory and I did not remember a single dream. Upon being off the stuff for the last 3 weeks, I have dreamt every single night, and some of them have been lucid. Perhaps certain chemicals block those nasty signals being sent into our brains from an outside source.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by saintnuke]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

I'm sorry you think my post was uncivil. The worst thing I accused you of was 'behaving in a silly manner', which I'm sure you'll agree is rather mild.

I did ridicule your suggestion -- and robustly at that -- because, frankly, it is ridiculous. Never mind a shred of evidence, do you have so much as a hint of a clue that this is happening -- that governments can and do manipulate our dreams by remote control for some occult purpose of their own? Of course you don't. Can such a thing even happen? Of course it can't. And your first post, with its chemtrails and whatnot, was a right old mess of vernacular superstition and urban legends.

Why did I attack your post? I did it because, like a growing number of rationalists, I fear that the future of humanity -- of all of us and our children's children's children -- is seriously, perhaps fatally threatened by the resurgence of superstition, moral relativism and anti-intellectual obscurantism we see everywhere around us. Rationalism, science and technology have made the world we live in; we have them to thank for our long lives, healthy bodies and the little control we have over nature. Yet the very people who benefit most from these things -- well-off citizens of the rich world -- are often the first to denigrate them, to devalue science, impugn the motives of scientists and seek explanation for the phenomena of the world, not where it is to be found, in reason and science, but in all kinds of superstition and pseudoscientific twaddle. Some of these 'explanations' and theories would make a cat laugh -- and, I'm sorry to say, the idea of governments manipulating citizens' dreams is one of them.

This is a private forum, but the definition of 'private' here is pretty broad. Effectively, when you post an opinion on ATS, you're posting it in public. And ideas expressed in public are fair game. I'm not one of the board staff -- as you can plainly see -- but I am pretty sure that this is why ATS, though it is pretty strictly ruled and regulated for an Internet message board and comes down hard on people who make personal attacks, nevertheless permits the ideas and statements posted to meet with whatever reception individual members see fit to give them.

All clear, then? I hope so. I have nothing against you personally -- you seem, from your posts, a decent sort of person -- but this idea of yours is awful.

By the way, I first came across the idea of a ruler manipulating his subjects dreams in Robert Silverberg's doorstop of a picaresque novel, Lord Valentine's Castle, which came out about twenty-five years ago. If you haven't read it, and you aren't automatically put off by the words 'science' and 'fiction', especially when uttered in conjunction, you'll love it. Go read.

[edit on 23-8-2007 by Astyanax]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I could see ADD / ADHD medication inducing sleep hallucinations.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
astyanax, i recant. I now see what it was that you meant by the expression. oh and i dont have proof that this is going on that is why i posted it as a question so to speak. to see if any of the ats community knows or thinks if this is or isnt going to/is happen(ing).
and i can tell you i am entirely broke at the moment and not a well off citizen, but i must say, correct me if i'm wrong but we are indeed all citizens of the rich world. however i am assuming you mean rich world as in wealthy nations, so to speak.

but....if i do find proof about 'them' making us dream i can assure you that you will be amongst the first that i tell.
edit to add: no i haven't read that as of yet, although i am interested, i will be doing a search on the book in order to get what it is generally about. the title alone is quite interesting, imo

[edit on 8/24/2007 by agent violet]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by agent violet
So do you think this is possible?

Not only do I think it's possible, I think it happens and frequently at that. No one is safe after the point they dip into rem sleep, God only knows who or what is messing with you in your sleep at any given time.

Wow that sounded totally paranoid and crazy didn't it -

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Cant say i see the motivation for the government to make sure i dream about my girlfriend when shes away, or for my friend to have a recurring dream about eating porridge before being chased by a pink sofa (which we are assured has deep meaning).

I could imagine power being generated by the controlling of the nightmare state - when we feel utterly helpless in the face of a powerful enemy (past nasties of mine include gravity, and for some bizarre reason the characters from childrens' stories 'Funnybones' - a long time ago, that one) - but reality can be much scarier. The only use for dreams i could imagine would be to uncover peoples worst fears, or most cared-about people, in order to exploit them.

But maybe thats just my cynical nature.

new topics

top topics

join