It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm Going To A Mosque For The First Time, Any Advice ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I'll take these one at a time.

Originally posted by darkheartrising

1. i thought they didn't shake hands because they did not use toilet paper.

There was toilet paper in the washroom, and paper towels.
I shook hands with so many people I lost track, but I also saw many others shaking hands.

It was a very friendly bunch, and I saw men give each other a hug when greeting, and kiss boys on the top of the head.

If you go back to the post I wrote after my visit you'll see that being clean is very important to them. It was requested that I bath before attending, and we washed again before entering the main area of the Mosque.

2. would you honestly report to us any anti american preaching if you heard it at the mosque?

I would honestly report anything I witnessed to the members here at ATS.
I think I've been on these boards long enough that I have some credibility.
The Imam only spoke on topics of peace and harmony, and how gossip can destroy relationships, families, and business dealings.

3. youre a brave soul going there, i congratulate you.

I'm not brave, because I had nothing to fear. I'm just a curious soul that tends to go where ever I choose to seek information.

Thanks for the congratulation, I think you should try it yourself.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Be yourself. If they are angry about that and tell you to get out ( or worse), their religion is no good

"When Bankei held his seclusion-weeks of meditation, pupils from many parts of Japan came to attend. During one of these gatherings a pupil was caught stealing. The matter was reported to Bankei with the request that the culprit be expelled. Bankei ignored the case.

Later the pupil was caught in a similar act, and again Bankei disregarded the matter. this angered the other pupils, who drew up a petition asking for the dismissal of the thief, stating that otherwise they would leave in a body.

When Bankei had read the petition he called everyone before him. "You are wise brothers," he told them. "You know what is right and what is not right. You may somewhere else to study if you wish, but this poor brother does not even know right from wrong. Who will teach him if I do not? I am going to keep him here even if all the rest of you leave."

A torrent of tears cleansed the face of the brother who had stolen. All desire to steal had vanished. "

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

Very Zen my friend, you have me wishing I had a Buddhist Temple some where near my house. I might do some looking around to see if I can find one.

Read "The Giver Should Be Thankful", it's one of my favorites.
deoxy.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
reply to post by Sekhemet

Yeah, slackerwire is really funny.

But only a few Muslim extremists kill people, millions of them don't.
Most are peace loving people that don't bastardize the Quran for their own evil goals.
The same goes for Christianity, where you have a handful of the extreme, but millions of Christians go their entire lives without killing anyone.

All Catholics aren't diddling children.
The Jews don't all want your money.
All Irish aren't drunks.
All Americans aren't rude and demanding.
All the French aren't snobs.
Every black man won't mug you for your wallet.
Mexican woman don't spend their entire lives pregnant.
Etc, etc, etc............

Promoting a stereotype is just foolish.

I felt safe, secure, and welcome while I attended prayer service at the Mosque, and I noticed a prominent local politician was also attending. He didn't seem worried about his safety either.

I may even go back next Friday to get a better understanding of their faith, and I'd recommend to everyone to visit their local Churches, Mosques, and Synagogues.
You get to meet the people in your community and develop an understanding of each other.

(In my best Martha Stewart voice)
And that's a good thing.

All I meant was that photo was funny, I didnt think of it as related to 'killing people' etc.. I dont agree with that. I just thought... well.. to be honest I didnt think anything.. it just looked funny.. my bad.

Im not completely simple minded and I do know not everyone is this and that, im not into stereotyping. Apologies for any offence.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join