It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Christianity/Atheism/others promote segregation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I wanted to start this post because I think this is something that is getting completely out of hand.

If you're Christian, you believe that gays and atheists are going to be punished through God.

If you're Atheist, you believe that Christians are blind and close minded.

These beliefs separate us from each other and cause mental boundaries between brothers. It's things like this that cause other posts like "Is an alien/human war what we need?" where the subject is about how to unite us.

What's so funny is how absolutely absurd it seems if you look at it from the outside. Christians believe that a good loving God would punish people who aren't like them, gay, atheist, whatever, and Atheists believe that a large part of religion just separates us and causes wars, even though they are technically being hypocritical about this.

I AM NOT SPEAKING FOR EVERYONE AS I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT, THESE ARE JUST SOME OBSERVATIONS THAT I HAVE PERSONALLY MADE ABOUT WHAT SEEMS LIKE MOST.

Does anybody else have some opinions/feedback at all?

[edit on 22-8-2007 by bigbert81]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
everybody is wrong, both religion people and atheist,

a wise man once say- I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing--
another wise kid once said--people wants to know the ultimate truth so bad that they believe anythng--

thats what i follow, i am human, no human has the answer, so why create religion, or deny a god, is stupid, humans dont know a s---,

so then i believe everybody has the right to practice any sexual thing they do, nothing is immoral[except killing, and raping] humans dont know whats moral.

and i think wars and other stuff is because humans feed up their egos by thinking they know the ultimate truth, freaking egomaniaks.

remeber u can be the wisest if u accept that u dont know anything about everything, please people accept it now!!!!!! just wait intill u die , then u will find out the truth, is a short life, be pacient

Of course dont believe in in anything makes me an atheist, but not the ones u find in science-- i
[edit on 23-8-2007 by Drzava]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I don't believe Christians are blind and closed-minded, I believe they are deluded. All religion and superstition, including dowsing, astrology, Feng Shui and tarot are delusions.

How are atheists being hypocritical by saying religions cause most wars? Religion is the cause of most suffering on this planet, either directly by teachings such as gays are an abomination (and then Matthew Shepard is beaten to death by good Christian youth) or indirectly by religious juggernauts such as the Catholic church siphoning off massive amounts of money that could be better used helping the poor learn to feed themselves and be self-sufficient than hidden away in a vault or decorating the robes of the pope.

Could you please clarify what you mean by atheism is hypocritical when it talks about religion and war? As an atheist I'm sure I would have got the memo, so I don't understand what you're talking about.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
i am agree with u MajorMalfunction, religion people are deluded , they cause every war, and problems, the world will be a better place if we were all atheist, religion makes u kill, and religion is a very stupid concept, hell, suffer for all eternity, but god loves u, but if u dont follow his dictatorship u go to hell, but he still loves u. stupid, dumn and blind

anyways, i am totally agree with u, u shouldnt listen to the religion people, they never learn, or listen or see, keep the atheism going!!!

[All Hail The All Mighty Spaghetti Monster]

Like Great Napoleon Said--Religion Was created to stop the poor from killing the rich ---

but i believe in a after life, we just have to wait and see

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

I believe everyone has a right to believe and do what they feel is right, although i may not agree with what that choice is i still respect that it is their choice.

and i would like that everyone does the same to me. the reasons i choose to believe in what i believe or have faith in believing is that without believing in something the world seems less in certain ways, i do believe in something i feel is above me.
just as in an animal believes that multiplying will keeps its species going even though its entire species may be gone in a week it still has nothing to loose. so why not believe in something. besides you make plenty of friends on the way...lol

[edit on 24-8-2007 by joshmkilla]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   
atheism promotes absolutely nothing... it's really just not believing in any deities or the supernatural.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I agree with many of the previous posters in that the majority of major conflicts throughout history can be boiled down to religion. Religion gives a person a legitimate (or what they believe to be legitimate) reason to look at another and say you are wrong and i am right; end of discussion. For that reason it does promote segregation and stagnates progress. In that sense, though, atheism being at the opposite end of the theological spectrum, i guess, would also technically promote segregation, but i rarely hear of militant atheists who threaten non-atheists with eternal damnation for simply not agreeing with their theological point of view. That being said, i think the most logical and non-segregative position one can take is that of an agnostic. (My personal point of view) Agnosticism stands between theism and atheism and boldly states, "I don't know!" Why is it so hard for us to simply state that we do not know why we are here, because when it comes down to it we really don't know!! Historically religion has provided that answer but i must agree with the atheists that the major religions' answers to that very basic question no longer suits; for me at least. Just some of my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

I believe you are right about some stuff and wrong about others. Religion is not the one causing all the wars and neither is atheism. It is us as individuals, it is us as human beings that fall into greed. I am religious yet I have never fought, I am friends with everyone(even homosexuals), and I do not judge anyone because that is Gods job not mine.

i am agree with u MajorMalfunction, religion people are deluded , they cause every war, and problems, the world will be a better place if we were all atheist, religion makes u kill, and religion is a very stupid concept, hell, suffer for all eternity, but god loves u, but if u dont follow his dictatorship u go to hell, but he still loves u. stupid, dumn and blind

Well if you think atheism will cause the world to be peaceful please elaborate. Will there be no greed? will there be no rich or poor? will there
be no money?
If you are representing atheism and insulting people around you, how are
you better then the people causing wars, or the bully inside high schools?

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drzava
anyways, i am totally agree with u, u shouldnt listen to the religion people, they never learn, or listen or see, keep the atheism going!!!

You are very strange, Drzava. In one post you say both are wrong, and in another, you say atheism is right. That statement up there is what will promote the 'segregation'. You are setting up a divide that puts religious people as 'outcasts'.

To specifically point out only those instances when a person in a certain category(religious, non-religious, atheist, etc) does only bad things is very foolish. There are also those people who do good things. There are also those people who do nothing at all. When it comes down to it, as Equinox99 said, it's the people who do these things, not the category they're in. Sure, they may use their category as justification (or have others use it for them), but that's again, only an attempt at segregation. I think to claim that if there was no religion there would be peace is dangerous and delusional, and fairly reminiscent of times when (insert religion here) said that if the whole world followed our religion, there'd be peace. It's like saying that if we killed all people except for white, there'd be no racism. In this way, many atheists are hypocritical, as they hold a mindset, or strive for a solution that is ironically very much like that of those they assume to be better than.

The problem is that as soon as you put yourself in a category where you have a set of alternate categories, you are on the assumption that you are right, and the other is wrong:
I am [this] because of [this this and this], and therefore, all the others are wrong. Since they are wrong, the reason must be [blindness/closemindedness/delusion/lack of faith/etc.]. Therefore me, and all people of [this] idealogy are better than them.

There definitely is segregation (or the potential for it), but I have no idea how to remove that. Perhaps by being (hahahah) better human beings. But then again, people prefer being right to being polite.

PS: I'm not specifically targetting you, Drzava, so sorry if I appeared hostile to you. This is just a general rant on a Line of Argument/Point of View that I've seen alot, recently.

[edit on 28-8-2007 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My Opinion

Everything and everybody causes wars.

If someone is Christian or Atheist or (Other) why should it concern anybody?

Everybody ever born will eventually find out.

And theres no wat to prove eithers right.

Yes you can cite the science or gospell to fit what you think until the cows

come home!!! neither can offer absolute proof of anything pertaining to the

existance or non existance of a creator being.

In my opinion until someone can absolutly proove while alive whether it's

one way or another be nice to each other.

There is no need to shove peoples beleifs down other peoples throarts and

vice versa.

So thats my opinion and I hope everybody has a great day.

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The way I see it, they aren't the cause of segregation but they certainly don't help matters either. I think we humans are born with an us vs. them mentality (or are at least taught to believe in it early on). There is always something that we use to say "Well I'm better than that person for this reason" or "There's something wrong with them because of that reason." Whether it's the other persons religion, weight, skin color, nationality, accent, sex, etc., we always find something that leads us to believe that we are better than them or there is something wrong with that person because of a certain trait.

We segregate ourselves because of this fear/hatred of anyone or anything that is different or that we don't understand. We see ourselves as being better than those who are different than we are. We tend to group together with others who we perceive as being the same or similar to ourselves. This is why in schools the skinnier kids tend to hang out together, the chunkier kids hang out together, the kids of each race hang out with people of their own race, etc. Obviously there are exceptions, but for the most part we gravitate towards people who are like us.

As far as religion/atheism go, it's just another way for us to segregate ourselves. Religious people tend to group together to prove atheists wrong here at ATS, and atheists tend to group together to prove why religious people are wrong. Until everyone is born deaf and blind, there will always be a form of segregation in the world. (Of course once everyone is born deaf and blind we'll never find each other!
Sorry, it was funny to me, moving on...)

new topics

top topics

join