It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: (AP) Israel to Kill Hamas Founder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
JERUSALEM - Israel will hunt and kill the founder of Hamas, Sheik Ahmed Yassin, in retaliation for a deadly attack on Israeli border guards, Israel's deputy defense minister said in the bluntest warning yet against leaders of the Islamic militant group.
(from MARK LAVIE, Associated Press Writer)
news.yahoo.com

Breaking news 17 minutes ago.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
More coverage: apnews.myway.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Thank God. I belive that Palestine should be its own country, but dont kill innocent people. They caused the failed Road Map to Peace.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Israel is regretting letting Yassin out of jail a few years ago.
And on Yassin being a "quadriplegic," I believe this is a typo or error. Yassin is a paraplegic.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I remember reading that they tried to kill him earlier last year, but he had just left the room and some of his followers were killed instead.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
I remember reading that they tried to kill him earlier last year, but he had just left the room and some of his followers were killed instead.

I'm sceptic on that one. I'm sure the MOSSAD didn't really try to kill him but to warn him.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
They should've tried to kill him earlier.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Killing him will not save any lives, it will not stop terrorism against Israel, and it will not bring back to life the dead soldiers.

The only thing that will stop people like Yasin is for Israel to withdraw.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Yes, Israel must withdraw......Question:
Withdraw from what? How far? What will be deemed enough of a "withdraw" per the Palestinians and Hamas, PLO/PLA, Hezbollah, Sharon, etc.?
Then, will the "withdraw" end, conclusively, the suicide acts against Israel? For how long? Till the next demands for "withdraws"?

If problems are going to be solved in the conflict with Israel and Palestine/Arab world, yes, it will require a "withdraw", but it will require and incorporate far more than just a simple end to all the problems deemed or specified as a "withdraw".
The issues go far more deeper than "occupied" lands and territories and simple "withdraws".
The issues are far more complex.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Are you kidding me Arch? Since when do civilized humans reward people for committing murder? This evil man has been responsible for so many civilians dying ON BOTH SIDES. Israel should "withdraw" to placate this asshole? Not gonna happen in this lifetime.

And as U_P said, and as numerous people on this board have discussed, Mossad is quite effective. If he wasn't dead from that attack, that is what was intended. Perhaps the next shot won't be a warning shot.

[Edited on 1-16-2004 by Djarums]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
"The issues go far more deeper than "occupied" lands and territories and simple "withdraws". "

The occupation only makes it worse, and Israel is incapable of fixing it by doing anything other than withdrawing. They can only add to the hate against them.

So many refuse to admit that maybe the Palestinians hate Israel for the things they do.

How absurd....

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
"So many refuse to admit that maybe the Palestinians hate Israel for the things they do."

That might be true for some Arch, but I would not say that it is true for 'many'.
I have revealed to a certain few, that I do not always fully agree with 'all' that Israel does and is doing, but I certainly don't agree with the arguments of the oppressed having no other recourse than to consistantly use suicide bombing and terrorism as a solution to their situation(s). They seem to have the ability to call upon the UN, when the need serves them, but when it doesn't the only re-course is the ever present and continued suicide bombings and acts of terrorism.....
If the Palestinians, and the Israelis for that matter, wish to do things properely, then they need to use and exhaust ALL political means and measures.
The situation has grown to become a simple, yet complicated game of "tit-for tat" and it will esculate, given the proper nudge, if both sides are not careful.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What has happened to the Israeli's brains? They used to be smart.

disregarding the morality or political fallout---

why the FCUK are they SAYING we gonna get you sucka before they do it??

that's just electoral rambo posturing. see it happens in all countries not just the USA.

back in the old days when they had their # together, the mossad would have JUST DONE IT and TOLD nobody.

now if the guy is alive next year he can go crowing neener neener bomb bomb!

yeah I think the occupation is idiotic. A wall is a good idea. A wall that snakes here and there for political reasons to placate fundamentalist nutsies is dumb. one side's fundamentalist nutsies are bad enough.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have revealed to a certain few, that I do not always fully agree with 'all' that Israel does and is doing, but I certainly don't agree with the arguments of the oppressed having no other recourse than to consistantly use suicide bombing and terrorism as a solution to their situation(s)

It has been 36 years. This is not rational. It is not justifiable. It is desperation. End of the rope.

I don't pretend to understand it, but I do understand that it happens. In their minds they are justified in what they do because of what Israel has done. In the exact same way that Israel justifies killing Palestinians as revenge the 'terrorists' justify what they do.

They are trapped in a struggle with no hope of getting out by themselves.

Rather than choosing a side we should stand above them and end the conflict, not fuel it.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by ArchAngel]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hang on, you can't say that this situation has been the same for the last 36 years. Certianly since 1946 (?) there have been problems, but when I was in Israel in the 80's before the first intfada, there were a lot of interactions.

The palastinians moved freely between their homes and Israel, they had productive employment, infact I talked to Israelies who were upset that they controlled so much of the water.

Certianly they were watched in Israel if they had a blue palastinian number plate, however they had excelent infrastructure, universities, an international airport etc etc, all the trappings of western civilization. I went to a palastinian wedding with an Israeli and there were no problems, they accepted us as just another guest.

The first intafada was a political event sparked by Arafat who used Sharon's (?) visit to the temple mount as an excuse to start an uprising. It was nothing unique. He had stated many times before and after that he wanted to drive the Israelis out of Israel, and the outcome of this we see today.

The problems we see today stem from Arafats desire to destroy Israel even while he is destroying his own people. Golda Mier said "We will only have peace when the Palastianins love their children more than they hate us".

Israel does not always do the right thing, like the wall is a great idea but why does it have to encroach on Palastinin land if it followed hte green line it would be OK. But their actions are a "reaction" to the violence of the Palastinains themselves.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Hang on, you can't say that this situation has been the same for the last 36 years. Certianly since 1946 (?) there have been problems, but when I was in Israel in the 80's before the first intfada, there were a lot of interactions.

They would not let you see what they did not want you to see, and not everything would be apparent to the eye.

They do not vote for leaders in Israel, yet the Israeli army is on their land. They do not control their borders, nor do they collect their TAXES. Israel has yet to give them all of the money, and they keep the interest for themselves.

Israel also imposes import, and export duties. Israel pockets money when they trade outside Palestine.

When was an Israeli soldier executed for killing a Palestinian? When was the death penalty imposed for murder?

Their land is divided into sections by access roads that allow settlers to travel to and from Israel. This divides there land into many separate parts. Israel controls the crossing points and imposes on their free passage. Many times they close these crossings keeping people from work, school, and sometimes urgently needed medical care.

The Palestinians do not have freedom or representation.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
They would not let you see what they did not want you to see, and not everything would be apparent to the eye.
You are wrong on the first part, I was an independant backpacker, no one "controlled me". But you may be correct on the second. Only by living there long term would you be open to the undercurrents of the society.

But on the same level, unles you visit it you have little or no real understanding of the situation or how it eventuated.

Palastinians are expert at pleading "poor me" and manipulating media coverage. Don't forget that we are talking about a people who even made fake videos of people being "shot" such as the famous one with the boy last year, and with the bodies in the funeral procession, who jumped off the tables, and the supposed "massacre of Jenin".

They do not vote for leaders in Israel, yet the Israeli army is on their land. They do not control their borders, nor do they collect their TAXES. Israel has yet to give them all of the money, and they keep the interest for themselves.

How much is this a situation of their own making now, and how much is historical? Israel has tried to help them set up their own state, remember back a few years to the training and arming of their police men, the negotiations for their own autonomous state. These were measures put into practice and then reneged on by the Palastinians themselves.

When was an Israeli soldier executed for killing a Palestinian? When was the death penalty imposed for murder?

When an American soldier kills an Iraqi attacking him why is he not charged for murder? Same sitation.

Their land is divided into sections by access roads that allow settlers to travel to and from Israel. This divides there land into many separate parts. Israel controls the crossing points and imposes on their free passage. Many times they close these crossings keeping people from work, school, and sometimes urgently needed medical care.

Yep you are correct. But this is NOW, because of the situation they made themselves, because of the suicide bombers. You can't hold it against the Israelies for trying to protect their own people. Your view fails to see the Israelis who are being killed by the suicide bombers. There are two sides to every story, you are presenting it as if there is only one.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taxman
Thank God. I belive that Palestine should be its own country, but dont kill innocent people. They caused the failed Road Map to Peace.

Sharon never wanted that damn road map anyway. You can't just blame the Palestinians. I'll never believe that.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
How much is this a situation of their own making now, and how much is historical?

Israel attacked first, and invaded in 1967. They have occupied since. What is it that could ever justify Israel invading and occupying land that was populated with people they had no intention of ever representing?

How many Palestinians would choose to live under Israel if there were a vote today?

"Israel has tried to help them set up their own state, remember back a few years to the training and arming of their police men, the negotiations for their own autonomous state."

Israel talked, pulled back a bit, then occupied again. They never gave them any autonomy, or border control, or removed restrictions at crossing points.

Talk is empty words. Action is what matters. Israel never carried through with their promises.

These were measures put into practice and then reneged on by the Palastinians themselves.

This is not true. I assume you are refering to Oslo. The Palestinains gave up land to Israel in exchange for a withdraw. Israel quickly took the land offered to them, but never finished their end of the deal.

Yep you are correct. But this is NOW, because of the situation they made themselves, because of the suicide bombers. You can't hold it against the Israelies for trying to protect their own people.

Are you saying that stealing land is a proper response to this?

How does stealing land protect them? I believe it only endangers them.

If Israel really wants to protect themselves they should build a wall. And they should build it around themselves on land that unquestionably belongs to them.

They are doing the exact opposite now.

Palastinians are expert at pleading "poor me" and manipulating media coverage.

Who on this earth has less freedom than they do, and I hardly think they are manipulating the media with basicly all of it in America owned or controled by Jews.

Can you mane one Muslim, or Arab, or Palestinain media tycoon? Would you like me to name a few Jewish ones, or do you accept what I am saying?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Yassin's response to Israel's threat:
"Yassin orders Hamas to escalate attacks"
Link:
www.jpost.com.../JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1074140314291

Excerpt:

"Hamas spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin called upon his organization to immediately execute terror attacks in retaliation for Israel's threat to renew targeted killings, Friday."

regards
seekerof

top topics

<<   2 >>

join