It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spooling fishing line

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'm a little stuck here. I want to respool some spyder line for my kits but I'm having a hard time finding something to spool it onto to take up as little space as possible. For my small kits I have been using sewing machine bobbins available at wally world. They work pretty good for about 50 feet of line but i'm looking to spool a bit more. The problem is that most spools are designed for presentation meaning they are wound around a larger core with a lot of wasted space to give the impression of more volume or a larger size.

any ideas out there.

thanks

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
have you tried looking online, try some professional fishing sites or something, but this post is rather pointless it belongs in a fishing forum

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:57 AM
link   
been looking everywhere. It directly relates to the survival forum because fishing line is an important part of any kit

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Go to a hobby shop and buy a small (8" x12") sheet of 1/8" thick plywood. Cut a U shaped channel about 1/2" deep on each end and wrap your line around it. You can put alot of line on the sheet before it starts to get thick. You can cut down the plywood to fit in what ever type of survival kit you are tyring to make. You can also tape packets of fish hooks to the plywood.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
This I think should be in BTS but anyways try a bigger reel.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's a link about a military fishing kit that has some photos of some u-shaped "spools" as referenced in the above post. Should be fairly easy to make out of plywood in any size you need, as JIMC5499 noted above.

Fishing Kit

Some good general info and helpful tips on that link, too.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The u shaped ply wood is a good Idea. I think I'll try that.

Thanks guys

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Fishing reels don't take up that much room or weight in my opinion. My next suggestion was going to be cutting your own out of a piece of wood as someone has already mentioned. There are also wooden foot massager things with grooves in them that would work too. But the benefit of an actual reel is the drag setting, so that when you get a big fish on your line isn't simply going to snap (which unless you are using 20 lb line, is going to happen any time you get a trout or salmon on.)

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Fishing reels don't take up that much room or weight in my opinion. My next suggestion was going to be cutting your own out of a piece of wood as someone has already mentioned. There are also wooden foot massager things with grooves in them that would work too. But the benefit of an actual reel is the drag setting, so that when you get a big fish on your line isn't simply going to snap (which unless you are using 20 lb line, is going to happen any time you get a trout or salmon on.)

I've actually thought about that, I think I may include one in my larger kit but keep it out of my pack. Mainly I'm just looking for a neat way to reduce the size of the line rather than include the store bought spool which takes up too much extra room.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
For my fishing kits I found some plastic ID cards, the exact size and thickness of a credit card. I cut out the "U", top and bottom, like mentioned above. I wrapped fishing line around one and on another one I put enough masons twine to be able to make a trot line. I have added a couple of the masons line cards and use the twisted cord, not the braided. The twisted can be pulled apart into 3 strings if needed. These are small enough to put into one of those mint tins and can be cut down more if needed. The plywood option seems like a lost of space being wasted on the wood.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Paint stirrers. The wooden ones you get for free when you buy paint at the paint/home improvement stores would work well with some slight modification. I wish I had a picture of my set up but essentially you can get multiple line strengths on one stirrer. Just cut down the length slightly and notch out multiple (2-3) "u"s on either end. May not work for your set up but I cut mine down to 1ft. so I know how much I put on and take off by counting the wraps. If that is too large try 6" and do the math.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

This looks pretty compact. More what you were looking for?

Portable Fishing Reel

join