It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Fuel Problems Kept Secret

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Nuclear Fuel Problems Kept Secret

apnews.myway.com

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A three-year veil of secrecy in the name of national security was used to keep the public in the dark about the handling of highly enriched uranium at a nuclear fuel processing plant - including a leak that could have caused a deadly, uncontrolled nuclear reaction.In 2004, the government became so concerned about releasing nuclear secrets that the commission removed more than 1,740 documents from its public archive

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The dirty little secrets just never end do they?

Every time I run across a story like this it makes me ponder once again how safe do we really think we are. Not so much from the "terrorists", but from our own leaders.

This was one of my favorites from the article.

"McIntyre defended the commission's decision not to fine Nuclear Fuel Services, even though the agency rated the uranium leak last year as its second most-serious violation."

They have nuclear spill draining all over the floor like an episode out of the Simpsons and nothing is done about it.

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
this is a strange story. Im not sure about the facts of what type of liquid uranium is kept in a small pipe or tube or container in a glove box. I think the article said some 9 gallons.

I am just wondering what the process is for making such a liquid solution go critical. I get the impression that this liquid is more toxic than radioactive. Hence the need for the glove box.

Any of you up to speed on this.

I am aware that you dont want any of this stuff spilling on the floor uncontrolled. Neither do you want toxins doing the same.

There is just such a noticable lack of details in this article.

Liquids may be radioactive...and emit radiation or contamination. I just dont know if they are suitable in such a state to going active ...or critical.

Any of you up to speed on this??

I would also imagine that a certain purity of these solutions is required. A spill of this type means that the integrety of this solution is in question. It is also most likely a very expensive solution.

There is just not enough detail in this article to make much sense of this. There is enough information to make people scared...just like so much of news and information formats today.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
They have nuclear spill draining all over the floor like an episode out of the Simpsons and nothing is done about it.

Could Homer be trying to warn us? 400 episodes and they all start with him lobbing a glowing green bar out of the car window.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Glowing green bar...you mean like a light stick..cyalume light stick? They do come in varioius colours ..green being one of them.

400 episodes...you mean ...episodes like on televison...??

Your reality and ability to express reality or a real concept is a television program..or a episode of a television program??
Wow!!

If so ...that is deep..very deep!!

That probably explains why I dont watch that program...or much television at all.

You are talking about Homer..the cartoon Homer...right??

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

You are talking about Homer..the cartoon Homer...right??

Thanks,
Orangetom

Yep... Common, even people who don't watch much TV must of seen The Simpsons!!!

For any Himalayan goat herders or the like yeah they reached 400 episodes a while back now, and one recent film.

at about the 33 sec mark - I can't believe someone does not get the Simpsons, you are a rare critter orangetom1999.

[edit on 23/8/2007 by Now_Then]

top topics

join