It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help! Urgent! Hamster on the verge of passing! :(

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Ok, I come home from work around fourish, the hamster seems ok. (Looked like it was sleeping.) Go out with a friend for a cappacino and check out a new bookstore. I come home, and I see the hamsters laying in a different location then her prefered spot.

Well, I pick her up, and I think she´s dead. Cold to the touch (still is) and it looked like she was stiff. But I realized that she was breathing slowly. So I rush down stairs to fill her waterbottle up with ice cold suger water. (I thought suger would help quicken her up.) No dice, she drank a little but she still was hardly moving. I took some cucumber and cut it up in a small piece for her to nibble on. She took two miniscule bites and that was it. She´s still cold, but she´s moving. I had her laying beside me, and I could feel her move every now and then.

I now have her in a little box with cotton to keep her warm as I´m posting this. She´s breathing pretty weak, and moves a little once every three or four minutes.

It´s my daughters hamster, and when she comes this weekend she is going to be heartbroken. (She´s only five.)

I don´t get it, last night and this morning the hamster was running in it´s wheel having a good time. Now, she´s almost gone. The hamsters only like four months old max.

Anyone here have any suggestions I could use to try to help the hamster out? It really sucks, the hamster was such a nice hamster too. Never bit once, not even when she was "new". I could even rub her belly when she was sleeping.

I´ll be watching this post closely, hopefully someone will have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Frontkjemper

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I always make sure my hamster is in a very common color pattern that way he never dies.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by Xtrozero]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I wish I could give you good news, however we have had 6 hamsters over the last 5 years, and the prognosis, is not good.The fact that it is still young, leads me to believe it was born with a defect, or if this is your first time with a hammy perhaps you did not look up the proper care for one. Not to insult, just an observation.
If the worst does happen, let your daughter understand that it was not her fault ( My 7 year old son lost his 2 year old hammy).Perhaps she will want a new one right away or time to mourn this one.Either way I wish I could tell you it would be OK, but I can't.Sorry.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Its a regular "gold" hamster. My younger brother got one from the same litter at the pet store, and it´s doing ok. (Had to call my mother up and ask.)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

I suggest you visit the pet store then. At the very least, they should give you another one for free.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

Well, Ive owned animals (hamsters, cats, dogs, you name it) for the past twenty years, and this is the second hamster that´s died (or well may die) on me. I always make sure to purchase the right food, give fresh vegitables (lettuce, carrots and cucumbers) every day, not to mention I change the water every other day.

Its just sad, even for me, as I´ve gotten the hamster really used to us, and comfortable with us petting her whenever.

But thanks for the reply.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Sorry to hear that your furry friend isn't doing well.

Are you sure about the hamster's age being 4 months, or is that just how long you've had it. If you got it at a pet store full grown it could be older, and hamsters only have an average 2 year life span. Older than 2 years is rare for these guys.

Here's a few links that might be useful:

www.ask-the-vet.com...

www.petwebsite.com...

www.hamsterific.com...

www.hamsterhouse.com...

All these sites refer to illnesses hamsters can get and you may be able to diagnose the problem.
I did notice that hamsters are very prone to cancers, but lets hope that's not the case. You will also need to keep the little guy hydrated while its ill, even if you have to put an eye dropper in his mouth to get some water into it.

Hamsters can suffer from strokes and these most often occur overnight when the hamster is active. The hamster may appear uncoordinated with semi-paralysis on one side of the body resulting in a head tilt and inability to walk straight. The hamster may also fall over repeatedly or be unable to sit up.
www.petwebsite.com...

A hamster may become dehydrated when suffering from diarrhoea or when suffering from mild or severe heat stroke.

The hamster is weak and may breath heavily but slowly and the body may appear thinner. You can check to see if the hamster is dehydrated by pulling the skin away from the body. If the skin slowly falls back to the body rather than quickly returns to normal the hamster is dehydrated. Give the hamster some water with a tiny bit of sugar and salt in it (using a syringe without the needle to gently syringe some drops of the solution into the side of the mouth). If the dehydration is not due to diarrhoea the feeding of a vegetable high in water content (such as cucumber) will also help.
www.petwebsite.com...

I hope some of this helps, but if all else fails, hold a little burial with your daughter to give her some closure on her pets passing.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Just a little update, looks like shes eating some cucumber now. Hey Anxietydisorder, thanks for the links. It looks like the hamster could have suffered a stroke. I noticed when I first let it try to walk, its hind legs weren´t moving in coordination with the rest of the body, and she kept "tilting" over on her side.

Shes currently garfing down some cucumbers that I cut up for her. I haven´t seen her this active since I came home!

Wish the hamster luck. Ill keep ya´ll updated!

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

I feel so bad for you. We recently lost a kitten that was newborn and ill, and I so feel for you right now.I'm sure you have done all the right things to the best of your ability, but sometimes this just happens and we can't really explain why.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
You mentioned the hind legs and lack of coordination, so that could be a stroke, but I thought I'd add this tidbit just in case it applies.

CAGE PARALYSIS: A disorder resulting from hamsters being confined in a cage that is too small and doesn't allow it sufficient exercise. The symptoms include the hamster appearing to be semi-crippled by dragging its back end around. There is, however, a very simple cure and an even simpler preventative measure a larger cage and more exercise. It is also thought that diets low in Vitamins D and E may be a contributing factor to this condition. Vitamin supplements may be beneficial.
www.hamsterific.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

Thanks for helping me out mate, appreciate it. I´ve got a pretty big cage for her. It´s got a bunch of tubes that stick out for her to crawl in, and even leads to different "chambers."

AccessDenied -

I´m so sorry to hear about your kitten.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Heres a couple of pictures I took earlier. She´s now very still.

**Edit** I have work in about five hours. (It´s 2am here.) Im going to try to place her in her cage now and see how hat works out. I hate leaving the hamster, but I also need sleep.

I´ll update tomorrow before I go to work.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by Frontkjemper]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Oh poor little thing

Is there anyway to get it to a vet?

check her cage for anything she may have got hold of that she should not have,

poor lil thing, I wish i could help.. I wish lil hammy the best, Fingers crossed for you,

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Sheeeeesh! After spending 1 minute on ATS, i'm glad to change to BTS today!

Some people.:shk:

I'm very sorry about your hamster and i do hope you can nurse it back to health. I know how things are with little kids and i do hope he/she will be ok.
I wonder, can you replace it without it going noticed? Just in case?

Again i'm very sorry.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Well, I put her in her cage. She did one or two laps (slowly and not with the best motor functions.) and then she got in her "bed" and started eating her cucumbers. (I thought cucumbers was a good idea because of their water inhold.)

Im off to bed now, but will update hopefully before I go to work. (I may call in sick.)

Thanks for all your help and concern.

I wonder, can you replace it without it going noticed? Just in case?

I´m not sure. My daughter pays very close attention to everything and she remembers things I forget. (Even the smallest detail in the house she´ll notice.) But I´ll try if things go bad.

Goodnight.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Maybe your daughter would buy the "hampster hair dye story?" Yeah kids sometime don't take this stuff as hard as you think...especially if you buy a replacement asap. My daughters fish died today....I was so glad, as mean as that sound...she moved out and left me with the fish, and her cat! I think he has a few lives left too...shucks!

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Well I did have to go to work today, but luckily I was able to leave early. When I woke up this morning, the hamster was sitting down eating her food. So I was pleased, as she made it through the night.

When I get back from work, she´s sleeping in her "spot." I pick her up, but she seems very jumpy. I think shes blind. (?) Everytime I go to pet her, she jumps. She really doesn´t recognize her cage either. It makes sense now, for yesterday I was holding her while she was ill, and she started to crawl pretty fast (before peeing all over me) in my hands, you know so I have to put one hand in front of the other, but I wasn´t fast enough and she just went over the edge.

Can a heart attack do this to a hamster? Cause it to go blind I mean? I could probably film it with my camera, if anyone really needs to see it to decide. (I also have a little video of yesterday when she was acting very lathargic.)

This is so sad.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
She/he is eating, and that's good news!

I wonder, hamsters can get a little under the weather but be ok.

Gosh, this reminds me of the Iguana i babysat in California while i was on a business trip years ago. The Iguana was in front of the sliding glass doors and i left the door open so i could be cool for the night. In the morning it was freezing and the iguana was freeze dried in a corner- dead as can be.
Imagine my embarrasment when i had to tell the owner.

Anyway, i hope the little guy will be ok.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm sorry to hear about your hamsters troubles, I hope the little guy has perked up a bit today!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Very sorry to hear about your hampsters.

I hope she get well soon.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join