It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU urges Texas to end executions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

EU urges Texas to end executions

news.bbc.co.uk

The European Union has urged the governor of Texas to stop all executions as the state prepares to carry out its 400th death penalty.

Johnny Ray Conner, 32, will be executed on Wednesday in America's busiest death penalty state for the 1998 fatal shooting of a grocery store clerk.

The EU expressed "great regret" at the impending sentence and renewed its call to the US to halt judicial killings.

The punishment was "cruel and inhumane", said the EU.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't know whether or not the State of Texas will take notice of this and change their policies, but I think I'd have to agree with what the EU is saying - there are more humane ways to punish murderers and rapists. Life imprisonment is probably a far worse fate than being executed - for most people at least.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I'm not sure how I stand on corporal punishment. There are some people whom I believe truly should be executed, such as serial killers, people that torture others and child molestation. But I also hate to see innocent people get killed because the justice system screwed up.

But what I have to ask is - what business is it of the EU?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The same reason the US gets involved in other countires policies - see the thread of the canning of the drug dealer in malasyia

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The thing is, once more and more governments start influencing each other's opinions and power, NWO would be almost on the doorstep.

This example is just brining that day closer..

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If europe wants the our death penalty inmates your more than welcome to them.I for one dont think wasting my taxpayer money is a deserving punishment to cloth and feed these animals.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nickh

Capital punishments aside- When does the EU have the gumption to tell a US state what to do?

EU need to butt out of US affairs.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nickh

Recently Iran executed many people, among them a 16 year old girl. Her offense? Having a sharp tongue.

So tell me, did the EU intervene and try to save this young girl's life?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The EU has a global campaign to end the death penalty and promote human rights. It works with the United Nations.

This is the first time the EU has focused on the United States, China and the Middle East are always the focus of their campaigns.

EU need to butt out of US affairs.

Can you "butt out" of European affairs first please?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Why don't the EU and the UN do something about the attrocities in Africa rather than focusing on some pond scum that gets the chair in Texas?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by closettrekkie

Maybe they think they have more of an influence with the US... although I doubt Texas will budge easily

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
Why don't the EU and the UN do something about the attrocities in Africa rather than focusing on some pond scum that gets the chair in Texas?

They do.

The UN resolution on Darfur was drafted by Britain and France. European Union has sanctions on the Zimbabwe government, it has a weapons embargo on China. It's cancelled African debt, increased aid and helps in economic development.

Would you like me to give you more examples?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Can you "butt out" of European affairs first please?

Excuse me I don't bother with EU affairs. Since I don't live there nor do I want to know anything about them.

But don't come over here to the US and tell us what to do. You can keep your EU over there.

We don't want it.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
But don't come over here to the US and tell us what to do. You can keep your EU over there.

We don't want it.

Speak for yourself.

I personally want to see a similar system here, but that's for another time and thread.

Texas is about to execute it's 400th person, much higher than any other state,
the EU is vehemently against capital punishment, they have every right, and
in this case the moral high-ground to state there opinion and ASK the governor
of Texas to do something.

The EU is not telling them to do anything, they are asking the governor of Texas
to stop it and introduce a moratorium on the death sentence.

Personally I'm in agreement with them, as I consider capital punishment to be useless,
immoral/unethical and a crime committed by the state.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leyla
Excuse me I don't bother with EU affairs. Since I don't live there nor do I want to know anything about them.

That's quite funny. America has been influencing European policy for years. You have your missiles parked in our countries, and plans to use Europe as your battlefield.

We don't want it either, your culture of death and destruction.

I guess it's OK for America to tell the world what to do 'But don't come over here to the US and tell us what to do. You can keep your EU over there.'...lol

If you had kept your country 'over there' instead of everywhere else, the world would be a better place imo.

You don't bother with Euro policy? ROLF!

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I'm not the leader of America- Even when I write a letter to Congress do you honestly think they listen to me? Heck no.

I didn't find it funny- I was very serious. Anok and Iroi, you can look forward to the police state coming in 2010. Good Luck

Believe me there are things that I'm not proud of so don't blame me for what the US government is doing.

I'm sorry but EU policies do not belong here nor should America have a foriegn policy- all it did was get us in trouble.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Dont mess with Texas!!

400th execution?? Wow!! they dont mess around down there, I bet those criminals think twice before they pull the trigger in Texas, huh!! But I think the EU has bigger fish to fry than Texas in the execution department. really this is a token gesture so the EU can say they have called US out.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
Dont mess with Texas!!

400th execution?? Wow!! they dont mess around down there, I bet those criminals think twice before they pull the trigger in Texas, huh!! But I think the EU has bigger fish to fry than Texas in the execution department. really this is a token gesture so the EU can say they have called US out.

*Claps*

Well said Sentinal!! Yeah the EU better not mess with Texas or the Rangers!!!

apc

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Uhh... with how adamant the UN is about "population reduction", you'd think the EU would be thrilled about Texas doing their part.

But then again, we're killing murderers. People who otherwise would be out killing other people. So by executing them, we're actually saving lives and preventing further population reduction...

Damn! Foiled by my own logic!

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I think I can safely speak for damn near every other American on this one.

We dont give a # what the EU 'urges'.

Originally posted by apc
Uhh... with how adamant the UN is about "population reduction", you'd think the EU would be thrilled about Texas doing their part.

But then again, we're killing murderers. People who otherwise would be out killing other people. So by executing them, we're actually saving lives and preventing further population reduction...

Damn! Foiled by my own logic!

[edit on 21-8-2007 by 11Bravo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join