It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's with that machine that blows on you at the airport?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
When I was in Puerto Rico I had to go through this machine that blew air on me. It was like something out of freakin' Total Recall. Was my skeleton showing up on some screen somewhere? It also had a gate attached to it which I assume serve some other purpose than just stopping my progress through the machine.

When do I get to fly to Mars, blow up dudes with my explosive fake head, and give Mars a breatheable atmosphere? Oh, and I like my women athletic!

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I did misread your title to the thread and I was ready to take notes as to where my next vacation should be but, since I'm here, it's a machine that blasts you with air to detect explosive material that might be on your body, in small (microscopic perhaps) form. Basically a blower to release things into the air, which is then tested and you are either passed thru or subjected to a more rigorous (read limp inducing) search.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
So it only works for a powdered explosive? It hardly seemed to blow hard enough to dislodge anything.

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Beat me to it by a few seconds! Yes, it blows air past you and looks for nitrates and nitrate esters in the gas collected, using an ion trap or some other form of fast gas chromatography.

Most chemical explosives are nitrate based. The ones that aren't are generally some sort of organic peroxide like TATP. Which is what they're looking for in your shoes and shampoo bottles.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Oh, it detects gas. I was thinking powder for some reason.

I wonder what they'll come up with next?

Peace

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Bombarding your luggage with neutrons and looking for the characteristic emissions given off by nitrates.

That's probably been happening for a while - I noticed back in the late 90's when I would fly out of major airports they kept snagging my old canvas charlie bag and looking in it for contraband.

I couldn't figure out why for a while until I saw them swabbing it with a cotton ball one time. It used to be chock full o' nitrates in various forms. After 9/11 they got really squinchy about it so I retired it for something less saturated with residue.

I've heard calls for an in-plane analyzer that will sniff the entire cabin for nitrates while the plane is on the ground, so if you get it onboard past the gate somehow, or in the luggage compartment, it will detect it before they pull the chocks. Probably not a bad idea either.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The gentle gust of air blown at Dr. Love came from what is commonly known as a "Puffer Machine". As mentioned previously, it detects minute traces of nitrites and other trace components from potential bombs.

The "Puffer Machine" is known technically as a explosives trace-detection portal machine.

Wikipedia has a fairly in depth article on the Puffer Machine in regards to it's developmental history and a listing of some of the airports where this security devise is in use.

[edit on 8/21/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I almost chocked on my sandwich when I read the thread tittle.
I know, my mind is in the gutter.

But can someone explain what good this would do if the person was careful enough to wrap the explosives in plastic?

And what about someone who fires a handgun regularly? Doesn't that leave some sign as well, that might show up?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I was gonna say Tara Reid?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
I did misread your title to the thread and I was ready to take notes as to where my next vacation should be

Originally posted by Prozacship
I was gonna say Tara Reid?

Gentlemen, "blows on you," on you.

Hey Doc, just curious, but what were you thinking it was for?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I very much suppose it would detect powder residue if you had been shooting within an hour or two and hadn't washed up before your flight.

I have also heard if you pop a nitroglycerin tablet just before you get in the machine it will spot it on your breath.

Oh, and I don't imagine you could wrap it well enough - it only takes a few molecules. Can you wrap up something in plastic so well a trained dog can't smell it? I'm sure it *can* be done, but it's not easy, and the system is about as good as a dog if it's working correctly.

The presence of these detectors is why your average terrorist uses organic peroxides for this particular task.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by Tom Bedlam]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
They have one of these machines in London Gatwick over in the UK. They also have one at Akron in Ohio. I went through both the same day. The noise from the machine made this little Asian kid cry. I laughed.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The problem with these machines is that they're very slow and costly. It would be great for a new version that is quicker and can 'sniff' more people at once though.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
In some countries, I've been told, a blower operates from above as you walk down a corridor over a grating. Under the grating are pigs, who as we all no are very good in the snout department and have been trained to catch the whiff of naughty things like cannabis and nitroglycerin. Any truth in this?

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
In some countries, I've been told, a blower operates from above as you walk down a corridor over a grating. Under the grating are pigs, who as we all no are very good in the snout department and have been trained to catch the whiff of naughty things like cannabis and nitroglycerin. Any truth in this?

that would explain why i hear oink oink noises and smell poo when walking through adelaide airport.

i thought those oink noises + stench were from the rent-a-cops (airport security)

[edit on 22/8/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
hahahahahaha @ Obliv

I had the pleasure to go thru Adelaide on a domestic return flight last friday, and I could have sworn I heard pig squeals and smelled pig poo as I got close to the ISS Security walk thru

Phunny Stuff

join