It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying New Computer W00T.. Suggestions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
So i finally got my tax return back and i've decided to get a new computer as this one is slowly dying. I wanted to know some suggestions... I wasnt it mainly for Uni work... but also i want it to be able to play games and video's. A TV out option from my video card would be sweet too. I'm not too concerned about a new monitor as alot that I have looked at you pay for the monitor seperately.. and the one i've got now isn't too bad.
Do I get AMD? Intel? What about RAM? Graphics Card?
My budget is about AUD$1300 - $1500.
Is there anything else I'm missing?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
C'mon some computer guru's have got to know something... please reply.. hoping to get it soon.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I am not a comp guru, but i would say Alean wear, but kinda over priced. otherwise, dude, get a Dell.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Considering that you're in Australia, here's one that should do well as a dual-purpose Applications/Gaming system.

SDS-G2 AMD Athlon64 X2 Gaming Desktop Computer System

AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+, 2Gb DDR2 memory, nVidia 8600GT 256MB PCI-Express video card w/TV out, 160Gb HD, DVD burner. Now it does come with a 19" LCD monitor, BUT you can save $300+ by purchasing it without the monitor.

For that matter you could also put that savings into upgrading some of the components. If you do, I would suggest upgrading the processor and possibly adding an extended warranty as first priorities.

Hope this helps. Based on what you've posted regarding the intended use for your new system, I'd say this would serve well for both Uni and gaming.

$.02

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Hey thanks for the reply... was slightly too late though as i bought a computer this afternoon but it seems we think alike.
I got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual Core, 2 GB RAM, nVidia 8600GT 256MB , 500GB harddrive and a 19" widescreen monitor. It cost me AUD$1350 so was still within my budget. Cheers for the help though.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It really depends on what you will be using the computer for. If for gaming, I would highly suggest a Dell XPS M2010. It's what I use currently, and it was worth every penny. Of course, though, that will put you down about 3,000 dollars.

Honestly, most high end gaming PCs are very pricey, because the hardware needed to support todays PC games are very expensive. You're almost better off buying an X-Box 360 for 260 bucks, and then spending another 1200 dollars on an iMac or something similar.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernDystopia

Hey how do you find Vista? I use it in the labs at Uni but havent fully used it constantly yet.

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I wish I could have found this thread earlier -- I would have liked to help you. I'd suggest learning how to build a computer (really, not hard at all.) and then you can buy the parts online or maybe even at a local computer shop/store and put it together your self. You save money and get exactly what you want.

Why are you asking for Vista? Personally, I wouldn't look to upgrade to it. From what most people say and some first hand experience it's not all that great, but new Operating Systems always have problems. A lot of bugs with it right now and I'd suggest waiting until the first Service Pack is released.

But to answer you question, you can pick up Vista at any Electronic store (Bestbuy, Circuit City -- do they have these stores in Australia?) I purchase all my computer related items at [url=But to answer you question, you can pick up Vista at any Electronic store (Bestbuy, Circuit City -- do they have these stores in Australia?) Though I purchase all my computer related items online at Newegg
Would purchasing it there be a problem since you're in Australia?

(Having edit problems) :bnghd:

[edit on 23-8-2007 by JelloFaust]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Sorry, double post.

top topics

join