It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Line Game Is A Model For A Real Life Outbreak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   

On Line Game Is A Model For A Real Life Outbreak

news.bbc.co.uk

The "corrupted blood" disease spread rapidly within the popular online World of Warcraft game, killing off thousands of players in an uncontrolled plague.

The infection raged, wreaking social chaos, despite quarantine measures.

The experience provides essential clues to how people behave in such crises, Lancet Infectious Diseases reports.

In the game, there was a real diversity of response from the players to the threat of infection, similar to those seen in real life.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
lfpress.ca
news.filefront.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Fluorescent Green Pigs Bred in Taiwan

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I found it rather interesting that this could be a model for a real life out break. So the public now knows how something like that might work. I am not familiar with the game but any one who is please jump in.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
i just started playing a week ago...its great lol but as far as what there talking about in the article ive not heard anything about it...ill have to ask around and see whats said...but in all honesty i could see how that game could be used to gauge human reaction for a variety of things...because ive noticed quiet a few people who play the game simply to interact and socialize with other players from around the world.....very interesting thread though.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Future Flow,
Thanks for posting. That is a good point that you made. Socializing is why I am a gamer, but I just don't do the on line gaming. So because of that it could be grounds to use as a model for real life, maby anyway.

new topics

top topics

join