It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists: Artificial life likely in 3 to 10 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Scientists: Artificial life likely in 3 to 10 years

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Around the world, a handful of scientists are trying to create life from scratch and they're getting closer.

Experts expect an announcement within three to 10 years from someone in the now little-known field of "wet artificial life."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
What might the implications of something like this be? Can we expect to see new lifeforms springing up all over the place, and helping us to solve the problems that we find ourselves currently dealing with?

I don't know about all of that, but I do believe that this presents a very unique opportunity to discover something that no one else, in the history of humanity, has ever discovered before. It could be a whole bunch of things, but a wonder of the universe is sure to be one of them.

What do you all think?

TheBorg

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Borg,
solve problems yes, that would be great. However I fear the first uses of this will end up being on the biological war far side. Very sad yes but that is what I see coming.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

I don't know about all of that, but I do believe that this presents a very unique opportunity to discover something that no one else, in the history of humanity, has ever discovered before. It could be a whole bunch of things, but a wonder of the universe is sure to be one of them.

What do you all think?

Do you know for certain that we have not gone through all of this before?

There are other more advanced spieces in this Universe, so we are not the first ones to discover this.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Do you know for certain that we have not gone through all of this before?

There are other more advanced spieces in this Universe, so we are not the first ones to discover this.

Hay Maud,

I was mentioning that I don't think that anyone, on this planet anyway, has gone through the process of successfully doing this. If they could manage to do something this amazing, the implications would be momentous.

That was my point with that.

TheBorg

P.S.

RedGolem,

You're also right. I think that this will more than likely be used for a weapon first rather than a positive force in the universe. If we humans could ever learn to stop this process of subordinating people, then we could learn to make the best of the new technology.

It's just so sad that we humans are still so focused on holding people back. It's a pity that we have to remain this way, when we could be so much more than we are.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by TheBorg]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Borg,
very good words.

It is to bad that it could end up that way. Maby if we can ever spread to other planets we might be spread out enough that something like this could not be quite the killer it could be.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:07 AM
link   
First artificial life needs to b a new ahmedinijad IMO

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
This could lead to a race of beings stronger,faster,more intelligent than ourselves-just hope they don`t escape from the lab...
Also for all you meat eaters-some new species for you to eat,heck they may be able to breed all manner of weird creatures,without the ability to suffer pain or with tonnes of meat on each one.Could solve some food problems.
As for the military applications-how about beings that run on solar energy,never get tired,will blindly follow all orders.
Thats way down the track though,I expect the first steps will be engineering bacteria,hopefully for things like cleaning up radiation or curing disease.
Exciting times.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Existing news submission here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join