It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long will religion last?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It seems like the more time goes by less and less people are believing in god or religion. With science advancing it seems like it can answer lots of questions people wouldve usually chalked up to a divine miracle or an act of god.

Will there be a time when religions no longer exist? Maybe in the future we will know 100% how the universe was created or what lies after death that could completely disprove the existence of any kind of god.

Who knows maybe one day we will beable to find the ''Bible'' in the fairy tales section.

Personally im athiest and this could just be wishfull thinking

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
As far as Christians go they feel at one time we needed the Law as in Jewish Law and now we don't. Maybe the same goes for religion itself.

I always wonder about religions and rituals. I remember reading about people with OCD and how they create this chaotic rituals due to stress and tensions usually linked to the thought something is wrong with them or something bad is gonna happen. Go figure we naturally develop ritual when things are a miss. Why are we programed with this? What does this say about the grand scheme of things?

When our problems are over we will be it versus want it. So religion I feel will be more substance at some point versus its typical value now.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The sooner humanity gets over this belief in Gods the better off we'll be.

Gods have been used to control people for our entire history, and I'm sure they were invented to explain things that humans didn't understand.

I honestly believe that modern people that still believe in God must have a form of mental illness, or at the very least, a sign of a weak mind.
I've never understood this desire to believe in a supreme being, and then pass our ignorance over to a fictional being invented by ancient and ignorant humans.

Too many people have died in the name of God for anyone to heed the call.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Religion is here to stay, like it or not.

It's to useful a tool for those who would use it to control people and gain wealth for it to die off.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Since man climbed down out of the trees, we have believed in the existance of something, or someone, greater than we. Since that continues to this day, and shows no sign of relenting anytime soon, I'd say for as long as man continues to be many will continue to believe.

That was a very long sentence...

[edit on 21-8-2007 by seagull]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Religion has and will continue to cycle for as long as man exists.

To get my personal belief out of the way, I don't buy religion as the term is commonly accepted in the western world, but I believe in a creative force to spawn our reality. Is it a selfaware being that created us intentionally? Maybe, maybe not. Life begets life, regardless of intent or awareness.

But back to topic. Religion can't die out because (a)people as a whole fear death and want their obviously meaningless lives to mean something. Religion gives them an out. (b) It is a valuable social and political control device, capable of generating vast wealth and power. and finally (c) people want something they can believe in without proof. Faith is part of who we are. Even the most hardened athiest is dogmatic beyond reason about something, be it aliens in their yard or the Illuminati brainwashing their dog, or George Bush stealing their childrens lifeforce thru some evil thingamajig the NSA gave him specifically for the purpose.

Srry couldn't resist a shot at the whackadoos

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
There's so many religions out there that ya don't know which one to even believe in, but I do believe in there being a God that has no physical appearance that created every form of life, I'm not a religious fanatic so I won't say anything from the bible to ya since I believe most of the stuff in those pages was made up by man. All I could say is that there is a God and that there was a Jesus, I don't really care if ya agree with me or not since I'm not into preachin' stuff out, and the lack of evidence to prove of their existance. To stick on topic I'd have to say that religion will just expand into different branches which would get people into more fights to see which religion is fact, nobody truely knows if God exists since we've never came back from the dead to explain it all.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
If you look at the historical foundations, science and religion were once the same thing. Only within recent memory have they become "split". That is to say; Science now only looks at the how things work and religion only looks at the why things work. At one time they were indivisible in trying to explain the workings of the universe. There needs to be a reunification. That is where the truth lies I believe.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by acetrippps

?Are you all blind? Cant anny of you read or are you so wise in your own opinion youll ignore that wich has alwais been?.
If you ever had a bible in your hands you'd realise its not a way to controll you but a way to set you free.
I get brain cramps when I try to help people understand.

so ill just say one thing
when has the bible been wrong about annything?

If you'd be kind enough to grab a bible, dont be sacred grab it as a book with pages and just words writen on them and read it, post back when youre done and wiser.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i would like to see it gone tomorrow. maybe sooner. how about yesterday?

i asked my wife earlier to try and imagine living here, on this planet, at this time but man having never known religion.

it would probably be an unrecognizable world.

less destruction i think...either way, i am willing to try.
sign me up for the religion don't exist state

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The most scholarly analysis on this question I've seen is of the opinion that religion will still be going strong in 2200. It's a stretch to predict out that far, so to say with any certainty what will be going on after that is "butt talking" IMHO.

pewforum.org...

Read the first scholar's remarks.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
i don't think religion will ever go away. it has a pretty good chance of changing or becoming less popular though

as long as there are humans there is always going to be somethings humans have to fall back on when they can't explain something

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78[/i

it would probably be an unrecognizable world.

less destruction i think...either way, i am willing to try.
sign me up for the religion don't exist state

Unrecognizable? It certainly would be. Some of the worlds greatest art works, both written and painted, are influenced by religion of many sorts.

Less destruction? What makes you say that? Oh, that's right, man only fights over religion, I forgot. Not over resources or anything like that? Religion is very seldom the cause of a war, it may indeed be the excuse given, but it's not the cause. With out religion the world would be more peaceful? Yeah, right...

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by messinpee
reply to post by acetrippps

?Are you all blind? Cant anny of you read or are you so wise in your own opinion youll ignore that wich has alwais been?.
If you ever had a bible in your hands you'd realise its not a way to controll you but a way to set you free.

I've read the bible quite a bit, thanks. I'll stick by my opinion. All religion has been used to control the masses at one time or another, and will continue to be used in such a fashion.

What is written in the bible, and how the religion is used is two different things. There are people out there who will use religion to their advantage. Just look at any of the televangelists. They're using religion, and their power over people, to bring in the riches.

new topics

top topics

join