It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Californai Legislators to consider legalizing the cultivation of industrial hemp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Californai Legislators to consider legalizing the cultivation of industrial hemp

www.sfgate.com

State legislators are expected to consider a measure this week that would allow hemp to be grown in California, rekindling the debate over whether such a move would increase cultivation of illegal marijuana and conflict with federal laws regulating the drug.

A committee of the state Senate is scheduled today to review legislation to permit California farmers to grow industrial hemp. The bill - AB684 - would establish a five-year pilot program in several California counties and define "industrial hemp" as separate from "marijuana" under the state's Health and Safety Code.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The governator has vetoed this before and from what I can tell its the same basic law as last time. Thirty countries allow the cultivation of hemp and the current bill would require testing for THC levels, GPS tracking of shipments and other safety measures. The growing is restricted to 4 counties in the state, but shockingly like Mendicino county, they all are know sites for illegal marijuana production. Several other states are considering similar legislation.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
No matter whatever law they pass, it's still going to be against Federal law, even if the THC level is 0.00000%

So without changes in Federal law, I think these state initiatives are going to do little to directly help the cause of normalization of marijuana/hemp, although they are useful in bringing attention to the issue.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I think the fact that they DO get a buzz going about topics is the most significant thing that can be done at the moment. The federal government has no reason to change the law unless people demand it be changed. By states allowing medical marijuana and hemp and the federal government prosecuting such people, there is outrages. It upsets people, especially when they see normal, average individuals or elderly/weak individuals on the receiving end of such imprisonment. When your typical looking kid dressed in baggy clothes and sideways cap gets in trouble its ok because he looks like a trouble maker. When its something that looks like the "girl next door" people get mad and enough people get mad maybe someone will change.

Edit:replaced "something" with "someone"

[edit on 20-8-2007 by ninthaxis]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
if George Washington said grow fields of hemp, what's the issue???

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
i dont see why this SHOULDN'T happen but then again i know better

i agree with djohnsto77 and all the rest that say hemp will never be legalized

new topics

top topics

join