It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solid Proof of Dis-information or Black Propoganda?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Hi I'm doing a documentary on the "Media in the development of America" and I really cant find that much info. So I turned to here to see if anybody has information from both sides of the fence. Or just book titles.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
You need to expand on your premise. What exactly do you mean "Media in the development of America"? Do you mean "How the Media Developed America"? Sorry Im confused.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by KezigluBey

"Media in the development of America" is a rather ambiguous title. I do understand what you are looking for but, within the framework of the title you have chosen, the focus of your documentary seems muddled. How about "Media and the manipulation of American Society"?

I don't have any book titles to offer you off hand however there are quite a few obvious and blatant examples of the media manipulating or twisting the news to affect American Government policies. One of the clearest would be the Sinking of the battleship, USS Maine. With banner headlines demanding that people "Remember the Maine", the Hearst newspaper chain was able to raise the ire of the American people to the point that the US government was able to invade Cuba with the apparent approval of a majority of her citizens.
Effects of the Press on Spanish-American Relations 1898

This link is but a peek into one of the earliest and most blatant examples of the Media's manipulation of the US government. Ostensibly, to boost newspaper sales, William Randolph Hearst was able to raise the ire of the American people at the sinking of the Battleship Maine. The result was the Spanish American War and record newspaper sales for Hearst.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Its more like The Role of the Media in America's development until now. My teacher gave me the topic so not my choice

[edit on 21-8-2007 by KezigluBey]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I would try to look into any story the media has covered local or national and see what the media stated versus what they left out or twisted. I have seen this at various locations and they don't think about it much but it affects things a lot.

As far as development, I think many people in older generations put more stock than it worth when watching news reports. As you see each younger generation needing to find out for there self due to the rep. the media has built upon its self.

I also feel the media will feed into a situation in hopes to gain a bigger story or to affect (feel power) over it. For example Chavez or Iran's president says something odd the media will go after this which in turn will make most news watchers go after this in turn more talk and debate will happen and back to US leaders and so on. I am not saying either of those presidents are or are not nutters but I don't know. In the last week I have heard harsher things coming out of Russian leaders that just didn't make final cut in the news. I hope this is a good example for you on development as it can affect us in ways most people don't even see. I look at it like fueling the fire of a drunk person, both sides usually don't realize or are getting off fighting.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Here's a good start for you: Black Ops

Watch the videos....

You will find that our news media follows the same talking points and delivers the same news on all channels, so it is rather easy to find discrepancies when the media is often uniformly wrong, using the exact same false talking points.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
search this website for the words "pentagon" in connection with "media" and "press".

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by KezigluBey

Try looking first for The development of media in America and then through the information gathered you will be able to make a link to how Media became part of the development of America.

Up to the seventies Media was pretty much independent and free speech was more flexible.

After the seventies media became more centralized and controlled making rules of how freedom of speech was used, eventually it became the ay of manipulation to shape public opinion with government intervention most of the time depending who owns the media channels.

Good luck.

top topics

join