It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vick attorney says star quarterback will plead guilty in dogfighting case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   

VICK ATTORNEY SAYS STAR QUARTERBACK WILL PLEAD GUILTY IN DOGFIGHTING CASE

www.foxnews.com

The lead attorney for pro football star Michael Vick said Monday that the Atlanta Falcons quarterback will plead guilty to dogfighting and related charges and will "accept full responsibility for his actions and the mistakes he has made."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit:All Caps

[edit on 20-8-2007 by spacedoubt]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sad end of a career IMO to one of the most talented athletes that have play any sport in a while.

There are so many aspects of this story that are just so wrong, but it should be a lesson for all this guys that no one is above the law.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:18 PM
link   
To say Mr. Vick screwed up would be an understatement, and now he's going to pay the price. His career is over, barring a miracle of biblical proportions. He's now a public relations disaster.

Great athlete, not so great man...maybe he'll use this jail time to grow the hell up.

Been listening to an Atlanta journalist on ESPN saying how people, particularly in Atlanta, who are still making excuses for him. The most prevalent being along the lines of the man is out to get him. Like they, the Feds, made up the charges just to get him.

Next Monday should be interesting...

[edit on 20-8-2007 by seagull]

[edit on 20-8-2007 by seagull]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I'm watching ESPN right now, and John Clayton is predicting that Michael Vick will serve his sentence and then serve a suspension from the NFL.

Suspension?? He should never be allowed to set foot on a football field again.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Any chance Vick won't go to jail?!? I really hope he gets at least a couple of years. Also, IF (and thats a big IF) he is let back on the field, hopefully no team will take him based on principal alone. You know he would be getting the biggest boos in history!!

Here's to Michael Vick rotting in prison!

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Suspension?? He should never be allowed to set foot on a football field again.

Well I don't know that the NFL could ban him from the sport on this charges as horrific as they are. NFL has a Code of Conduct policy to suspend players and this would be Vick first run in with the law. If it was because of gambling or performance enhancing that would be a different story, best case scenario he will play in 2011 and that is IF any team will be willing to sign him, he will be 31 at the time so he might get a chance but I don't think he will make any team. Maybe AFL or Canada, not NFL in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
To paraphrase Michael Vick, "Hey, it don't matter, because I'm Michael Vick and people are going to love me wherever I'm at".

I sense that some of that "love" is going to change to resentment now. People are going to feel let down and betrayed because he proclaimed his innocence and they accepted his word. :bnghd:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

Originally posted by Bunch
NFL has a Code of Conduct policy to suspend players and this would be Vick first run in with the law.

What about the Miami Airport in January? Remember, hiding pot in his water bottle? And these dogfighting allegations have been following him since he was a rookie. Flipping the bird at fans doesn't illustrate maturity, either.

He's a loose cannon. He has turned into more of a liability than an asset. Who would want to have their young athlete son look to him as a role model?

If it was because of gambling or performance enhancing that would be a different story,

Yes, it wouldn't be half the controversy, imo. To me, the dogfighting was bad, but the murder of the loser dogs was intolerable. Body slamming them to death. Electrocution. And yes I know he hasn't been proven guilty yet.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
From the sounds of it, his support amongst some in Atlanta is still very strong...that's why I think Monday next is going to be interesting...will people who supported him continue to do so, or will the betrayal of their trust become evident even to the most hardcore of Vick supporters.

Seriously, the guy has been playing them for years...now you can add lying to them as well. A sense of betrayal would be the least of my feelings if I were a Micheal Vick fan, but I never got on that bandwagon...fabulous athlete, no doubt, but something was always missing.

Let him serve his time, and get his act together; reinstatement in the NFL should not happen, he's screwed that up, no reason he can't play in Canada though. Though whether or not CFL fans, or teams, want him after all this, is open to question.

Was any one really surprised by this? I wasn't. I'd love to see the evidence the Feds had, it must have been something very strong...

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

The incident in Miami ended in nothing as the authorities fail to ID what the bottle had after laboratory testing.

Look I'm not saying that MV is a good guy cause he's not. But what are we talking about here is forgiveness and moving on. People make mistakes all the time and they are not barred from making a living, it gets hard to make one if you have a conviction on your record, but IMO if you did the crime and you did the time then prove yourself that you are rehabilitated and ready to be a contributing member of society. That's what jail is for right? Rehabilitation right? I have a dear friend that got caught in a DUI, a DUI!!! and I have seen his life turn upside down because he can not get a job, after years of expensive college education, he didn't even spend a day in jail, IMO that's wrong.

If we are talking about outrage, where is the American public outrage about Darfur? About New Orleans? About child predators that get less time in jail that MV will get? About lack of HUMAN rights in China, Saudi Arabia and many other countries, those IMO deserve if not the same, more outrage from us, but as I can see we are a society that pick and choose what we get outrage about.

Sad and wrong!

[edit on 20-8-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Look I'm not saying that MV is a good guy cause he's not. But what are we talking about here is forgiveness and moving on. People make mistakes all the time and they are not barred from making a living, it gets hard to make one if you have a conviction on your record, but IMO if you did the crime and you did the time then prove yourself that you are rehabilitated and ready to be a contributing member of society. That's what jail is for right? Rehabilitation right?

Jail is about punishment. Many serve their time and walk out of prison without bing rehabilitated; indeed, some are in worse condition than before they entered. If it were about rehabilitation, well that can be done on an outpatient basis. No need to build all those jails.

And I'm not saying he shouldn't be allowed to make a living. I hear Mickey Dee's is hiring.

Professional athletes have a special status in our society. They make salaries most men only dream of. They are adored and put high on pedastals. They enjoy privileges unavailable to most of us. They are role models for young people.

For this reason, they should be held to a higher standard of conduct. It goes with the job, imo.

I have zero tolerance for these screw-ups who want all the perks of the position, but none of the responsibilities.

If we are talking about outrage, where is the American public outrage about Darfur? About New Orleans? About child predators that get less time in jail that MV will get? About lack of HUMAN rights in China, Saudi Arabia and many other countries, those IMO deserve if not the same, more outrage from us, but as I can see we are a society that pick and choose what we get outrage about.

I wouldn't let them play in the NFL either, if I were the commish.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Dude, pro athletes should be role models for who? My or your kids? Parents should be role models for their kids, the day that responsability is pass on to another person especially celebrities or athletes we have a problem as a society. I can care less how they live, what they do or don't do, I care more how my son is doing is school.

People like celebrities and athletes are just like you and me, flesh and blood, why in the world would I want other than me to be the role model of my kids. You rather see a little put off for people that has accomplish a way of life by talent and perseverance. Stupid or not MV got to where he got by he's own merits.

And the last part of your post is just hillarious, it really says a lot about my previous comment about what do we get outrage about.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Dude, pro athletes should be role models for who? My or your kids? Parents should be role models for their kids, the day that responsability is pass on to another person especially celebrities or athletes we have a problem as a society. I can care less how they live, what they do or don't do, I care more how my son is doing is school.

No kidding.
I was waiting for that. I'm not copping out on parental responsibility, but unless your kid tries to run like you instead of MV or starts wearing your cast off shirts instead of MV's numbered jersey, I'm saying he looks to MV for his football moves, not you.

You rather see a little put off for people that has accomplish a way of life by talent and perseverance.

I have great respect for people who work hard to attain success. People like engineers and doctors, who have really accomplished something. I have very little respect for athletes, because too many times they are uneducated and grossly overpaid for what they contribute to society. But that says a lot about our society's value system, where you will respect MV more than your trash collector, even though we cannot live without trash removal yet would be no worse off had MV never been born.

And the last part of your post is just hillarious, it really says a lot about my previous comment about what do we get outrage about.

Usually, I don't have to specify when I'm being sarcastic, but I can now see that I can't take that for granted. Glad you got a chuckle out of it, though, b/c that's how it was intended.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   

So let me get this straight, you are put off by athletes that make their money through talent and sacrifice but not by the owners, broadcast stations, advertisers that sponsor or make their money from them, people that watch pro leagues, college athletics that make their money from athletes that in your opinion are uneducated and don't get even paid!.

Dude you are directing your rant to just a part of the crowd. Their is plenty of athletes that live decent lives, contribute to society in the same way that other people from other professions would and some even more.

And don't worry about my kid, he won't be putting any MV moves in anytime soon as he's just learning how to hold a bat.

Edit to add

[edit on 21-8-2007 by Bunch]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   

So let me get this straight, you are put off by athletes that make their money through talent and sacrifice but not by the owners, broadcast stations, advertisers that sponsor or make their money from them, people that watch pro leagues, college athletics that make their money from athletes that in your opinion are uneducated and don't get even paid!.

Don't make this about me. This is about Michael Vick. As far as your opinion about athletes, well, that's your right. To me, they are just grown men playing a kid's game. Nothing more. Entertaining, yes, but overrated? Definitely.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   

The incident in Miami ended in nothing as the authorities fail to ID what the bottle had after laboratory testing.

Look I'm not saying that MV is a good guy cause he's not. But what are we talking about here is forgiveness and moving on. People make mistakes all the time and they are not barred from making a living, it gets hard to make one if you have a conviction on your record, but IMO if you did the crime and you did the time then prove yourself that you are rehabilitated and ready to be a contributing member of society. That's what jail is for right? Rehabilitation right? I have a dear friend that got caught in a DUI, a DUI!!! and I have seen his life turn upside down because he can not get a job, after years of expensive college education, he didn't even spend a day in jail, IMO that's wrong.

Sad and wrong!

This post wasn't about New Orleans, China. NFL owners or TV broadcasters. It was about Michael Vick. Werther you like it or not professional athletes are role models. Every kid who has ever picked up a bat or a ball wants to be just like the professional stars he sees on TV.

You are right many athletes are upstanding citizens. There are a large number of them that donate their own money and time to set up youth programs and sports camps, visit children in hospitals or just contribute to their community in general.

Your friend who was found guilty of DUI is getting screwed over by our overly PC society. While I don't condone drunk driving it is not a sick depraved thing to do. I'm not proud of it by I have to admit in my younger years I did drive when I probably shouldn't have. I think, if we are honest with ourselves most of us have done the same thing. It was irresponsible and showed bad judgment. But I can tell you right now I have never been involved in fighting dogs to the death. Nor have I tortured and killed dogs who refused to fight or who have fought poorly.

Michael Vick is a person who was never able to separate himself from the homies in the hood. He is a street thug who happens to be blessed with great athletic ability. He deserves whatever time he gets in prison and probably more.

I don't expect to see him back in the NFL and I am happy about that. I'm sure that in addition to his prison time there will be an NFL suspension as well. Over that time of inactivity his skills will erode.

I agree with the person earlier who stated that to sign him would be a public relations nightmare and have stated the same on previous threads.

Michael Vick is a thug and deserves everything he is getting.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by duster

For you and everbody else I want to make this clear, in no way I approve anybody breaking the law, you do the crime you do the time.

Now my two main points are towards rehabilitation and outrage aspect of this story.

Let him do the time and if he is able to come back on his own merit and a team is willing to risk some kind of backlash by signing him them fine.

And the outrage, common! If I mention those other incidents is because it sickens me that we make such a hoopla about the animal cruelty issue but we show the biggest indifference towards the real issue in this world, tell me if you can find animal cruelty listed in any top 10 list of issues that need resolving in this world.

Many people would not like to hear this but I'm going to say it anyways, we are talking about dogs here, horrific crimes YES!, I have been a pet owner myself so I can understand the attachment we have towards them, but I will like more people to show this kind of outrage against more pertinent matters that need action in this world.

MV should pay for his crime, but not for eternity, I believe in forgiveness and much of this society I think do too. Now watch and see how many people in the media that have call for all but the hanging of this guy, will be the first ones there on the day he gets out of jail, and make a circus about if, where, when, he is going to play again. Just watch it 2 years from now it going to happen. Drive by media at is best!

BTW is was the other poster that made the gross generalization that ALL proathletes being the same, which is not true at all.

99% percent are outstanding citizens, but sadly is just that 1% percent that are front page news.

top topics

join