It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France announces paedophile curbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

France announces paedophile curbs

news.bbc.co.uk

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has announced new measures to deal with repeat sex offenders in response to a paedophile scandal.

Mr Sarkozy said a secure hospital would be built to detain paedophiles.

In future, he added, offenders would not be released until doctors had decided they were no longer dangerous.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
At least the french get it right, although it pains me to say it - this should be done in every country and again, he's right - no release until they are no longer a danger.
Sarkozy's views on this are pretty well documented in france,
news.bbc.co.uk...

if he were running in the UK he wouldn't have a prayer as the government here seeks to mollycoddle rather than punish, seemingly with more sympathy for these vile predators than their victims.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Interesting idea, and while I don't hold much faith that it will do anything other than keeping them off the street for a little while longer, it is at least a step forward. I personally work hand in hand with around 10 Prisons in my area, and it always baffles me why inmates convicted of sexual crimes against minors get such lenient sentences. Each time I teach a pre-release class in a Correctional Facility there are around 5-6 Pedophiles in a group consisting of around 20 inmates. To me it seems that their early release and light sentence is often unjustified, so I can see the benefits of sending them to a Mental Hospital or something similar instead of simply releasing them on parole.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
That's brilliant, because in psychology, we learn that there IS NO help for these people. They can't just stop...ever. They would never get out. Gee, too bad.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Can castration not stop them, does that not work. I never understand why, they do not just castrate paedos.

Can someone tell me is there evidence that castration does not work or something. People can live without sex, so whats the problem.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a modern day leper colony.

personally, I hate the idea of public funds paying for their living expenses. I think a better solution would be a nice marking that lets the public know what they are. A big red tat on the forehead that reads PEDO or SEX OFFENDER or something along those lines. They would, of course, have to go in for periodic check ups to make sure the tat is still there and unaltered.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I find it ironic that France another member of the EU has managed to take action to protect their citizens whilst if this happened in the UK we would be handing them a large check to compensate for haveing broken their human right's and hurt their feeling's

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

personally, I hate the idea of public funds paying for their living expenses. I think a better solution would be a nice marking that lets the public know what they are. A big red tat on the forehead that reads PEDO or SEX OFFENDER or something along those lines. They would, of course, have to go in for periodic check ups to make sure the tat is still there and unaltered.

My stance exactley! Always said that they should have a big P tattooed on the forehead, and castrated.

Its always in these type of crimes that i admire the middle eastern methods of punishment. there they are normally always executed in one manner or another. nothing is any better.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

geez Crakeur, you're a real bleeding heart liberal aren't you

That said, these people wouldn't last more than a day with a tat on their forehead - or maybe that's the point

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Can castration not stop them, does that not work. I never understand why, they do not just castrate paedos.

Can someone tell me is there evidence that castration does not work or something. People can live without sex, so whats the problem.

Testicular Castration would effectively reduce the amount of testosterone given off by the male and would reduce sex drive dramatically. However, Testosterone is also secreted by the Adrenal gland in small amounts which although small, may make up for the lost horomones and completely mute the point of performing a castration. There are some alternatives that have been observed to lessen the release of certain horomones associated with sex drive. In fact, administration of Depo-Provera can be injected as a form of chemical castration, without essentially violating certain ethical issues that may arise from physical castration.

On top of the aforementioned, there are many cases of Pedophilia occuring as a result of the persons environment, mental disability, or horomonal imbalance. Therefore, treatment with castration of any form may indeed reduce the levels of certain horomones found in the person, but may not necessarily have any effect on the mental state of the pedophile. Many pedophiles do not have sex with minors because of the "need to have sex", but rather as a mental condition of having control over someone else. It often goes hand in hand with rape; that is, having less to do with the act of sex itself and more to do with the "power" or "control" they have over the victim.

So, in some certain cases chemical or physical castration may work, but in others it may not.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by Jazzerman]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

they don't deserve to live. if we are going to house them for the rest of their lives, I think prison gen pop works better than special housing as even the most hardened criminals find pedo's to be a waste of life.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I'm not a proponent of capital punishment. That said, I find it hard to argue the case for paedo's.

On the whole, I think one of those sci-fi idea's would be great - stick all multiple murderers, paedo's on an island, with enough seeds to produce food, and enough food to last them until the crop's in.
Then leave them to it.

new topics

join