It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey...... Can we have some cash...Please ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The government has formally applied to the European Commission for money to help deal with the floods crisis which hit parts of England. Flood Recovery Minister John Healey said the total cost of the flood damage was now estimated at £2.7bn. But the EU will hand over 60 -125 million at the most. But it could be a year until we get the money.

Waht you'll think.

Take Care, Vix

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
At least we have the ability to apply to the EU for some assistance against the recovery costs of the recent floods.

I am always interested when Government or opposition start quoting figures. I have looked and can not see a detailed breakdown on the £2.75bn quoted.

This does seem a lot of money. And I would expect an advanced first world nation to have enough reserves to fund all the recovery effort internally.

Can we honest expect the EU to totally fund the recovery? Much of the flooding was a result of our activities and impact on the environment. Not enough land to soak all the water up!!

And what about insurance?

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

I believe that the £2.7 billion figure is an estimate which is driven largely by the insurance companies who will, of course, be stumping up for the huge majority of the costs of the problems.

Additional monies will be required for uninsured losses experienced by bodies such as local authorities and other government agencies, in particular, additional central Government funds will be awarded where infrastructure repairs would otherwise effectively cripple an authority.

Grants are also available to assist a range of private individuals and commercial organisations who have suffered uninsured losses and as hardship payments or emergency bridging funding.

As far as the EU is concerned, we pay levies into the hardship funds and are fully entitled to receive benefits from them, that's what they're there for.

new topics

join