It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran shells villages in northern Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Iran shells villages in northern Iraq

www.upi.com

Frightened villagers hid in caves in Iraq's Northeast, alleging that four days of intermittent shelling by the Iranian military has destroyed farms and killed livestock. Some houses were destroyed and dairy farms and orchards had also been damaged, with some still burning, officials said. "Iran is attacking us like Satan. Many cattle were killed, farms were burned, we have nothing left,'' Qadir Mohammed, a cattle herder from Qandoul village 2km from the Iranian border, told Reuters today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
On Saturday, the Iranian news agency Mehr said an Iranian army helicopter which crashed near the border of Northern Iraq had been engaged in an operation against the Party of Free Life of Kurdistan, an offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers Party.

If this escalates it could pose a real threat to the Kurdistan region, which is Iraq's most stable area.

www.upi.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
That happened last year too,

Both Turkey and Iran do not want an independent Kurdistan. From viewing this map, you will see why;

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The coo,
I find this more provocative on behalf of the Iranians than your thread about the 30 hanged.
If I was head of the US Iraq operations,there would be no way in hell I would tolerate this-I mean we (the allies)are supposed to be protecting Iraq in order for its new regime to flourish.
I would warn the Iranians that if this happens once more we would take direct action to protect Iraq.
I am guessing that as this is the second time this has happened,as infinite mentioned-no such warning has been issued.
IMO this makes the allies look weak,as it makes the Iranians look assertive,and may give them they impression they can get away with more of the same.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I don't think its anything linked to the US involvement in Iraq, it's Iran preventing any Kurdish State being created. Iranian forces have crossed the border numerous times. Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) are a political and terrorist group that has carried actions across Iran and Turkey.

We've seen Turkey cross the border and even shelled the area too. The Kurdish fighters have been carrying out activities in Iran and Turkey resulting in military action from the two nations.

There is growing support for a Kurdish nation, which is creating political problems in Turkey, Iran and Iraq.

Turkey has even threaten a full scale invasion if the PKK continues it's terrorist attacks.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The only real support in the region is from the occupation forces of the USA - non of the other peoples (including iraq) want a kurdistan nation.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I wonder why none of the major news media hasn't reported this at all. I've only been seeing news about the hurricane. Sad that in order to find out about this we have to go to alternative news sources. I didn't even know about the first time

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   
So much for the"peaceful nation of iran"garbage i see here all the time.Neither they nor should turkey be operating in a war zone.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Existing discussion here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please contribute to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

top topics

join