It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The War as We Saw It

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   

The War as We Saw It

www.nytimes.com

The War As We Saw It
By Buddhika Jayamaha, Wesley D. Smith, Jeremy Roebuck, Omar Mora, Edward Sandmeier, Yance T. Gray and Jeremy A. Murphy
The New York Times

Sunday 19 August 2007

Viewed from Iraq at the tail end of a 15-month deployment, the political debate in Washington is indeed surreal. Counterinsurgency is, by definition, a competition between insurgents and counterinsurgents for the control and support of a population. To believe that Americans, with an...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Removed excessive copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Say what you will about this article. The men have been there whereas the arm chair warriors who are so gungho about this war on here, mostly have not. They speak of their experience and if they have come to oppose this war, they have earned the right.

Of course there are those here who will say this does not support the troops or is bush bashing or some other tripe and is nothing more but some people denying their ignorance.

Let these soldiers speak. And whether you like what they say or not, they have earned the right to say it.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-8-2007 by grover]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Good read, I only hope more soldiers do the same. My own views aside, I think if the government would listen to the troops that are on the ground, then the war might go better, and we could pull out sooner.

I still see no point in us being there. I understand Hussein was a tyrant, but he kept the country in check. So he got stupid, tried to acquire more countries. Whoop-de. To have taken Kuwait would have increased Iraqi oil output. Remember, back in the day, territory was worth fighting for. But then it was an honest grab. "I'm going to take over this land and call it mine!" Not "We're going to liberate these people and stick around for awhile."

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The administration is deaf, it has its own agenda that has nothing to do with the good of the nation and they will pursue this war come hell or high water no matter what anyone, the voting public, the politicians of either party, our allies or our troops say. That much is obvious by now.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm a lil confused... what does this say? Other than "Hey, this whole thing isn't going the way we hoped it would." The whole article seems summed up with the statements:

"In the end, we need to recognize that our presence may have released Iraqis from the grip of a tyrant, but that it has also robbed them of their self-respect. They will soon realize that the best way to regain dignity is to call us what we are — an army of occupation — and force our withdrawal.

Until that happens, it would be prudent for us to increasingly let Iraqis take center stage in all matters, to come up with a nuanced policy in which we assist them from the margins but let them resolve their differences as they see fit. This suggestion is not meant to be defeatist, but rather to highlight our pursuit of incompatible policies to absurd ends without recognizing the incongruities."

This hardly seems like a new relevation to me... seems sorta like what even the gov't has said all along...

Of course, the piece has the typical message "This isn't working, but we have ZERO idea what to do about it"

new topics

top topics

join