It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NZ clothes ‘made in China’ may be toxic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   

NZ clothes ‘made in China’ may be toxic

www.tv3.co.nz

The government has launched an urgent investigation after tests revealed dangerously high levels of poison in many of the clothes we wear.

Scientists working for TV3's target programme showed formaldehyde in clothes made in china at levels 900 times higher than is safe.

Mother-of-two Susan Lord is careful to give her daughters healthy, nutritious food and make her home safe for them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Title correction, and removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 19-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This just in! Wow! after the problems with toothpaste, foods, etc the Chinese quality control system must be in shreds. (I wouldn't want to be in the QA business over there - I believe the penalties can be quite severe!) Unless of course they want to reduce the world population, starting in the low socio-economic consumer group!
Thought people?

www.tv3.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The western world lives off chinese exports, it drives the global economy...so no their export market is not self destructing.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lecuitis

I agree with you, but lately their products are being recalled or removed from the shelves. The wholesalers are going to want redress either by replacement, a credit note or refunds. If this keeps on happening it is bound to affect their exports and futher damage reputation. If someone dies from a product, or becomes seriously ill due to the contents of the product, where does the 'buck stop'?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Ministry investigating toxic clothes. Some clothing from China could be banned; ministry investigating TV3's claims formaldehyde in Chinese clothing

home.nzcity.co.nz...

If they do decide to ban clothing from China because of this, then someone in China is going to feel the pressure!

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Why this isnt being considered a act of terrorism is beyond me,

This is Sad, Its not hard to make safe products, Simply isnt, You use Natural materials that have proven to be safe to the Human Consumer, Lead is Known to be Posionous, An yet is STILL being Used, Global Supplier or Not, This is Past the point of " WHOOPS " and into the Realm of Possibly being Intentional. Wether for Finacial gain or otherwise unknown objectives.

These are Products that we Buy with Money we have spent earning away from our Families, freetime, and so forth, Are these all connected some how? Like thru a company that supplies goods or materials to make other products? I mean so much over such a short period of time is a bit much,

Why isnt more being said or done about this, Just because its a " foreign matter " We cant make demands or cut off some companies? Accidents happen, But when a Bus driver who drives kids to school gets into a Accident and if its their faught, them normaly dont drive buses anymore for kids.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the input Trance.
Yeah I used to work for a lifesaving equipment supplier as their quality control and service network instructor.
I had to close a couple of stations down and withdraw their lisence for 'shonky' work.

If any of the equipment had been used that they serviced then people may have died as a result. It cost them their livlehood, but if you don't conform to the standards and practices regarding the quality of the work you turn out and (as in their case) someone could lose their life through your neglegence, then that is the price you pay.

I do not know yet if a) they will ban the imports and b) find the person resonsible for this debacle and comprimise his/her livlehood.
The upshot is it should improve the import quality control for goods coming into the country.

I just worry about some countries (third world mainly) that do not have the set up to check some of the imports currently being sold to their citizens.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is actually really boosting the "Buy N.Z made" Campaign which is just about to be launched here, boosting Kiwi's to buy New Zealand made products. it's not only clothes, some toys from China and Nokia cell phone batteries have been recalled, but that is probably because clothes is just out of the ordinary to contain something Toxic.

~Lepracornman

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
LETS BOMB AND INVADE CHINA INTO OBLIVION FOR THIS!!!!!....

(That statement is to make a point about news being posted in the forums, since some members have claimed in other threads that bad news about other countries are being distributed by the western media to invade and attack those countries....)

Anyways, Lots of items are coming out of China which are toxic... Maybe it is time to start buying the products made in our countries.

[edit on 20-8-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Maybe it is time to start buying the products made in our countries.

A good idea, except most countries don't actually produce everything that people buy,
and in cases like the U.S. we produce very little in comparison to the amount
Americans consume.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
A good idea, except most countries don't actually produce everything that people buy,
and in cases like the U.S. we produce very little in comparison to the amount
Americans consume.

True, but since this is happening more frequently than i care to count, maybe something like this would be the catalyst for actually producing more products in our own countries, such as the U.S. and England, instead of depending on a country like China for products.

i don't see it happening, but one can hope heh?

[edit on 20-8-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the contributions guys.
But whilst Chinese companies continue to pay their workers a meagre pittance of a wage and whilst their seems to be no QC or QA then the lowest price in the market place wins.
We used to agree with the old adage used by military grunts "your equipment, clothing, food and weapons were all provided by the lowest bidder for the tender"
It is an unfortunate slope that Western countries have adopted to slide upon, in that higher worker wages (nothing wrong with that) bigger profits right through the chain, the cost of QC and QA (which was implimented to actually reduce cost of product - by ensuring you don't have to make the same expensive mistake twice)

Our friends in the east (at the mass marketing factories) may not have grasped this concept yet - but with this sort of possible action ie 'banning imports of clothing' they may well have to - and if they do - then price rises for the product will follow, which means the home markets will be back to a competative scale.

Of course I could be wrong and they are try to poison us!

Being shut out of a market is something the Kiwi's are used to, the Aussies won't buy the NZ apples! and the Americans and French won't buy into a nuke free Pacific

new topics

top topics

join