It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kurds flee homes as Iran shells villages in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Kurds flee homes as Iran shells villages in Iraq

www.guardian.co.uk

Iraqi Kurdish officials expressed deepening concern yesterday at an upsurge in fierce clashes between Kurdish guerrillas and Iranian forces in the remote border area of north-east Iraq, where Tehran has recently deployed thousands of Revolutionary Guards.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I wonder how much more Iran will do before someone engages them, meaning the U.S., these little "tit for tat" skirmishes seem to be building up to a fever pitch. It seems that war is inevitable now.

www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 19-8-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal

I wonder how much more Iran will do before someone engages them, meaning the U.S., these little "tit for tat" skirmishes seem to be building up to a fever pitch. It seems that war is inevitable now.

www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 19-8-2007 by the_sentinal]
One must also ask what's the objective of the PJAK, who's supporting them and harbouring them.. the kurds ? And who is supproting the Kurds.. US ?

If one should consider foreign supported groups operating in one's country thru violence.. is Terrorism, then shouldn't such same military actions be allowed by the Iranians ? ... it's "state terrorism" by the Kurds. Since the Iranian govt is technically protecting themselves... it's not even pre-emptive

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mobydog

If one should consider foreign supported groups operating in one's country thru violence.. is Terrorism, then shouldn't such same military actions be allowed by the Iranians ? ... it's "state terrorism" by the Kurds. Since the Iranian govt is technically protecting themselves... it's not even pre-emptive

The Kurds are being attacked on their own soil, from across the border, at least thats what were being told, this being a remote region I'm sure information is hard to verifiy, but why would the Kurds attack Iran?? unless provolked by Iran in some form or fashion. I'm sure there is more to the story, but some will jump on the band wagon of their own choice, regardless of the facts.

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Interesting - when did the British press start using the term "Kurdistan"?

The Kurdish groups in the region represent a far larger threat than anyone has been banking on. In Iran and Turkey, the main Kurd groups are designated as terrorist organizations. In Iran, they are apparently receiving support from the US. In Turkey, the US considers them Terrorists. The problem is that they`re the same group, with the same aim.

What Iran is experiencing is exactly the same thing that the Turks have been dealing with (I`m fairly certain there`s a recent story on the breaking news page dealing with this). America is attempting to reel them in, because they want to invade Kurdish areas in Iraq to deal with Kurdish groups doing the exact same thing as the ones in Iran.

The question is, whose side are the Kurds on - or do they represent a side unto themselves? They want land that has been theirs for millenia, and that`s understandable. Would America allow them to cede from Iraq? Would America request that Iran cede territory to Iraq as part of a Kurdish province? Would they request the same of NATO ally Turkey?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by the_sentinal

Come on, US has bombed Sudan, so-called WMD factory, which turns out to be a Pharma plant, they did the same in Pakistan going after 'Terrorist' and killed a load of civies.. what's the difference.

The Kurds were harbouring a group, who cross their border to attack Iran, and zip back across to harbour safety. How long do you think Iran (or any other country) can ignor it !

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
It appears Iranian forces are still attacking in northern Iraq.

BAGHDAD - Iranian soldiers crossed into Iraq on Thursday and attacked several small villages in the northeastern Kurdish region, local officials said.

U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Christopher Garver said he couldn't confirm the attacks, but five Kurdish officials said that troops had infiltrated Iraqi territory and fired on villages.

The Iranian military regularly exchanges artillery and rocket fire with Kurdish rebels who have taken refuge across the border, but Iraqi Kurdish officials worried that Iran's willingness to cross the border raises the possibility of a broader confrontation that would draw the Iraqi government and U.S. forces into an unwanted showdown.

One Kurdish legislator said that if reports of the attacks were true, then Iraq must ''stand firmly'' against future Iranian encroachments.

Details of the incursion were sparse. Abdul Wahid Gwany, the mayor of Choman, a village 250 miles north of Baghdad, said Iranian troops crossed the border in 10 places and traveled approximately three miles into the mountainous Iraqi region, bombing rural villages in the process. He didn't say how many Iranian troops were involved.

www.newspress.com...

I wonder what new excuse the apologists of the Iranian regime will come up with...

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The last thing I want would be a war with Iran,But I'm sorry-they cannot be allowed to get away with this sort of behavior.
You gotta wonder whats holding back Bushco-why would they not respond to this in public?
Is it possible the Intel people believe Amadinajad has already cobbled together/bought a nuke or two?
I am only speculating,but I have to ask why the Iranian regime seems to be trying to escalate things with their recent behaviour/statements.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal
The Kurds are being attacked on their own soil,

So are Iraqi's and Afghans by US forces and they never did a damn thing to the US or anyone else. The Kurds are still fighting for their own little spot under the sun and they may very well believe that the US will save them this time ( the last time the US allowed SH to crush them for believing the CIA and rising up) hence their 'brave' actions against Iran.

from across the border, at least thats what were being told, this being a remote region I'm sure information is hard to verifiy, but why would the Kurds attack Iran??

Because they are being asked to incite a Iranian response or because they are being opportunistic and believe they can get the US to intervene in their homeland creation campaign?

unless provolked by Iran in some form or fashion.

Because Iran really wants to get smashed this year? Why do you think Iran wants to get a war going that will very likely result in their country being laid waste to?

I'm sure there is more to the story, but some will jump on the band wagon of their own choice, regardless of the facts.

It seems they already did...

Stellar

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
The last thing I want would be a war with Iran,But I'm sorry-they cannot be allowed to get away with this sort of behavior.

"We'? Which 'we' are 'we' talking about here? A host of US allies gets away with this kind of behaviour year in and year out so unless 'we' are going to be entirely hypocritical this can not serve a pretext for war.

You gotta wonder whats holding back Bushco-why would they not respond to this in public?

Because the US national security state would have to institute a draft to prosecute a war against Iran and; the unsecured 'base' that is Iraq is not helping either.

Is it possible the Intel people believe Amadinajad has already cobbled together/bought a nuke or two?

No, they don't believe that as there is no evidence for that.

I am only speculating,but I have to ask why the Iranian regime seems to be trying to escalate things with their recent behaviour/statements.

They are not and if you actually find the proper translations to what they are saying and understand the context it wont seem like attempts to escalate.

Stellar

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hmmm,"not escalating" you say StellarX.
I am not some kind of Iran baiter,but the regime do seem to have been acting rather provocatively of late.
And what I said about the nukes-I was only speculating BTW.
Bit strange this isn't all over the news is it not?
Thought we were allied to the kurds and PKK in the war..

new topics

top topics

join