It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's over house, son scared to play in the backyard

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
That image was not drawn on paper. It had to have been done on a computer.

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed. And I wonder why a 7 years old kid would draw using a computer, looks like he used some effects too. A damn smart kid maybe, or a damn hoax.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I am not intending to sling mud here, but, why did you as a professional (you imply you are) write off the TV possibility when there was no information backing it up either way. That appears that a judgment was made based on your preconceived thoughts, not a more detailed investigation.

1. Yes, my PhD is in clinical psychology and I have more than 35 years experience counseling and teaching part or full time.

2. I have owned my strong bias toward accepting people at face value until persistent quality evidence forces me to conclude otherwise.

3. I go a lot by the cues I'd normally attend to in a therapy interview session. I realize that the nonverbal cues are critical and missing in such an online reading exercise but I still have a strong bias toward doing so.

4. The father's story rang and rings authentic enough to me to pull at my heart and compassion MUCH MORE THAN at my critical thinking skeptic.

5. The TV thing just seemed and seems silly to me at the outset. There was not a hint of evidence that went in that direction and several threads, puzzle pieces that went otherwise.

6. I think if the kid had been tweaked by a TV show, then there would have been lots of conversations with at least mommy about how the characters in the program did this dramatic thing and that dramatic-scary thing and then this and then that . . . on and on and on until mommy was sick of hearing of the TV show. Not a hint of such. Leaves me convinced wasn't anything the least bit in that direction.

7. The dog and the kid's focus ENTIRELY was on the BACKYARD. Where's the need to go dig up some OTHER not-even-hinted-at concoction to explain the data. The SIMPLEST explanation is the story as told.

8. The kid is drawing. The kid is into comic books . . . might not even be as addicted to TV as most kids are. LOL.

9. Certainly we shrinks end up trusting our gut a lot. There are so many subtle cues that we internalize, we'd be handicapped time-wise otherwise.

10. Certainly I can be wrong. Been wrong more than a few times. Will be wrong again.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lost_Mind
(Post)

Your right anything would become pixels, however the edges of the head of the alien would not be so well defined from the background, I would think.

And since the file is saved as a jpeg, chances are it would have gotten more uneven there in the compression anyway.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hi all,

How can such a lousy thread recieve so much flags...
The guy just had a digital drawing as a proof lol...and a bad story..
Some serious threads dont get any atention at all from you guys

Please let this thread dissapear from the mainpage please....

Nando out!

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PPLwakeUP
Hi all,

Please let this thread dissapear from the mainpage please....

Nando out!

Applause and a star are in order here for this Poster. i cant seem to undertsand why threads that try and discuss factual information dont get any hits and threads like this crap get tons of interest. I guess people dont like to talk facts just fiction.......

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If this is real, Texas_Longhorn should have no problem complying with some of the requests of the members here on ATS. Getting a camera to record these saucers should not be too much of a hassle if the story is true. As far as the image goes, so WHAT if it is digital? There's probably a logical explanation for this.

If this is fake, then shame falls on its creator.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by geemonyApplause and a star are in order here for this Poster. i cant seem to undertsand why threads that try and discuss factual information dont get any hits and threads like this crap get tons of interest. I guess people dont like to talk facts just fiction.......

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So the

SUPREME COURT OF SNOOTY INTELLECTUAL LOFTINESS & SUPERIORITY

has already decided the case 100% absolutely conclusively.

Nice to let us serfs know. Thank you very much.

We shall be eternally and grovingly indebted to your loftiness.

Please excuse the affrontery of our taking up your screen realestate.

Nothing going on here. Please walk on by. . . . and kindly take the smell with you.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My question is why would your son be afraid of the craft if that is what you both saw? Do you influence him to be afraid of these types of things?
What is your take on UFOs?
Also many times dogs can pick up on your fears and then they play the part you need for them to accordingly.
3 of my sons have seen ufos and they remember it clearly to this day. Perhaps giving it a little time without discussing it and see if he comes up with the same story.
It could also be a plea to not have to go play outside alone as many kids avoid today. When we were kids we wanted to stay outside as long as we could but now days kids want to be indoors for the most part.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
somebody already did point it out . If you cant tell the OP is full of it i feel sorry for you.

heres an easy way to tell. Give the therapists name/location and let the 3 amigos check it out. In fact the therapists seesm like an ATSfan im sure he'll chime in soon with a comment

[edit on 20-8-2007 by yeti101]

Sorry, I was typing my post as the other was being posted. BTW, I've pointed out (along with others) reasons why the pic is highly suspect, so, don't feel sorry for me!

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I fear this guy is just here makeing fun of us.

Unless his son drew a similiar picture on paper, and the OP not haveing a scanner, only photoshop, made his own rendition and tried to make it look a bit more realistic? But I doubt it, he said that WAS the picture his son drew.

Plus by him not posting here for some time, and the therapist sending him here???????

C'mon, it really doesn't jive, and no one has a 10 foot fence, maybe 8 max, and even that you'd need a permit for.

The dog thing was just iceing on the cake imo.

This isn't a hoax, because no one would fall for this, unless he kept it going with more repore(sp?)

So imo, it's just a guy makeing fun of us.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrapop
I do not buy the story. Just a feeling IMHO.

I have a feeling your feeling is accurate.

The drawing alone doesn't really look as if it were "hand drawn", let alone by a 7-year old. I saw the magnification and it looks computer generated.

This is more than likely yet another sad hoax, I'm sure it will be revealed shortly. People please try not to jump on every story as fact till it's looked at more carefully, all the stars and flags on this thread (like the other hoaxes) show an overzealous gullibility.

People do make up stories for the fun of it, you realize?

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
My question is why would your son be afraid of the craft if that is what you both saw? Do you influence him to be afraid of these types of things?
What is your take on UFOs? . . . .

Maybe I need to re-read . . . but my understanding is . . .

The son had been playing outside alone happily

UNTIL

such phenomena began to happen.

Dad was only brought into the situation when mom didn't know what else to do to handle son's fears.

AFTER THAT dad ALSO saw the craft.

AFTER THAT a dog was brought into the home and ALSO refused to go out in the back yard IMMEDIATELY.

My impression with the dog was that the phenomena were not observably happening--just the residue was enough to freak the dog out . . . or else something not discernable to humans--therefore, the dad would not have been givng the dog cues because to the dad--nothing would have been going on at that time and he would not likely have assumed anything remained in the back yard to be the least bit fearful of.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by geemony

I was one of those that said wait and see on this thread. I waited, I see, I think that without some major propping up, like the shrink coming to the staff, then this goes nowhere.

But the reason these threads get so much attention is the "dog pile factor". Once the wolves smell blood, they scramble all over themselves to rip it too shreds. You get more posts on a suspected hoax than on a fact based thread because there are so many people in a rush to prove how smart they are. With facts they have to really work.

Now before I get jumped out about how much thinking and working goes into proving a hoax, yes I know, and appreciate how hard folks work at it. The point is that there are post after post saying the very same thing about the same thing, just so those posters can be part of the herd.

There was a thread a few days back where someone found a tiny square metal "thing" in the back of their throat, and coughed it up. This person was naturally concerned. Turned out it was the staple that holds a set of bristles to the brush head.

The point was this thread took a very nice and unexpected turn. People actually looked for the explanation to the event instead of turning into a mob, and lynching the OP. Except for one or two people who questioned the veracity of the poster, most people just went looking for a way to understand what had been reported. (Yes, there was one poster who thought the picture of the tiny piece of metal was CGI.:@@

I do understand the frustration level that hoaxes create. But wouldn't it be better, once there was some evidence of a hoax, to just ask for more information from the OP, telling that person that with the available data nothing has been proved? Then the OP gives more information, or the thread dies because everyone isn't climbing all over each other to see who can shout "Hoax" the loudest.

Even in labeling something a hoax, if you keep feeding the thread with how you figured it out, and how fast you did it, all you're doing is feeding the ego of the hoaxer. As long as all you're doing is asking for more information, you're making the hoaxer do the work, or quit in frustration. Which is simpler and easier and less thrilling for the hoaxer?

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I do understand the frustration level that hoaxes create. But wouldn't it be better, once there was some evidence of a hoax, to just ask for more information from the OP, telling that person that with the available data nothing has been proved? Then the OP gives more information, or the thread dies because everyone isn't climbing all over each other to see who can shout "Hoax" the loudest.

Good point. I catch myself wanting to post about irregularities in a story, at times, instead of attempting to draw out more information to prove the facts contradict. I realize that just help someone modify the story to avoid those pitfalls.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nola213
I fear this guy is just here makeing fun of us.

Entirely possible. I'm still quite committed to giving more benefit-of-the-doubt to him.

Plus by him not posting here for some time, and the therapist sending him here???????

HELLO??? SOME people have a life. They get up, go to work, breathe, eat, sleep something BESIDES ATS!

He registered last night??? He posted last night!

I assume he got up this morning and went to work without obsessively checking ATS every 3 minutes between bed, breakfast and the door!

I assume--IF--he has no urgent priorities after work and after dinner this evening--he should likely check this thread and respond. . . .

respond . . . assuming he's not totally turned off by all the super intellectual, super smart, super discerning, super always right skeptics hereon.

C'mon, it really doesn't jive, and no one has a 10 foot fence, maybe 8 max, and even that you'd need a permit for.

Ahhhhhhh, so, please, tell us--how long have you lived

IN HIS NEIGHBORHOOD

IN . . . . CANADA??? Perhaps you have the Canadia statistics to prove your accuracy on this point???

The dog thing was just iceing on the cake imo.

I don't think so.

He admitted that the dog thing was a bust. The dog failed to do as intended. That was annoying, dismaying--not to his pleasure at all.

But, hey.

I'm just the tends-to-be-believing, very inclined to excessively extend the benefit of the doubt sort of guy. My perspective is really not worth screen space or paying attention to. Walk on by. Nothing happening here.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
I knew this sounded too much like a movie.

The whole time I'm sitting here reading this thread I'm trying to remember that episode of the X-Files where a child's drawings becomes important in a case. I think that episode took place somewhere in Pennsylvania. I think aliens where communicating through the child or something like that.

Anyway, too much about this case bugs me. I don't believe the therapist angle. The photo was obviously done on a computer to my eyes seeing as I've been becoming quite comfortable with Photoshop over the past couple of months. Almost had me with the dog angle, though. Should have had me with the child's story, but it was the dog's response that triggered sympathy with me. Seems fishy to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736I do understand the frustration level that hoaxes create. But wouldn't it be better, once there was some evidence of a hoax, to just ask for more information from the OP, telling that person that with the available data nothing has been proved? Then the OP gives more information, or the thread dies because everyone isn't climbing all over each other to see who can shout "Hoax" the loudest.

INDEED TO THE MAX.

The guy asks for some helpful input and

before he even manages to get back on the thread amidst a busy life . . .

essentially in abstentia . . .

he's sliced, diced, judged, sentenced to hoaxer gulag before a UFO can flash over a back yard.

I wouldn't blame him if he never showed up on ATS again.

Let the ANTIHOAX BRIGADE enjoy their smug victory.

He knows the facts of his own life. Why should he care about proving the fierce lofty ones wrong--given their overwhelming charity and all.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Threads like these are suspicious because of the idiot, douche bag, chat bot, debunking machines that come out in force over nothing.

I mean come on, you're scrutinizing whether or not a child drew the picture and whether or not it was done in paintbrush or scanned in. You broke one of Stanton Friedman's rules for debunking, you voraciously and collectively attacked a hand drawn picture which is not an overly important detail. Over and over, I might add. The picture was supplied as to what his son said he saw, nothing more. And it doesn't matter who did it or how.

You know we have other threads on here with a lot more convincing pictures that don't even get this kind of scrutiny.

Then the attack on the psychologist. You know, they're real people too.
Right. And if he sent the guy here, its probably because he doesn't have the background or training to deal with UFO stories. I mean for God's sakes, it was a stupid company doctor, what do you expect. Oh wait, you guys probably don't have real jobs yet.

Oh thats right, you're all 10.

By the way, at age 7, the kids at my public school in Texas back in the day would have schooled this kid in art class. So if you think this drawing is too good for a child to do, then you aren't paying attention or you live in areas with low artistic aptitudes.

So this thread is not suspicious because of the OP, but because of the unusual attacks that resulted. Because there are way loopier threads on here, that have never got this particular kind of attention.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Texas_Longhorn, a few more questions if you will please:
1. How high and big (approx. diameter) were these discs, a)as you saw them b)as your son saw them?

2. Assuming your son was playing in the yard during daylight hours when he had the encounter, why did you have to wait for nightfall? Were you unable to see the discs during the day.

3. You mention the discs moved very quickly, however, your son has drawn a fair amount of detail - if I am correct, a side view of the discs which would - require some time to view?

Thank You.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PPLwakeUP

Nando, I hear you loud and clear.

Originally posted by NGC2736
But wouldn't it be better, once there was some evidence of a hoax, to just ask for more information from the OP, telling that person that with the available data nothing has been proved? Then the OP gives more information, or the thread dies because everyone isn't climbing all over each other to see who can shout "Hoax" the loudest.

Very good point NGC, I agree.

My point was before there is evidence of a hoax (or at all for that matter) be a little more analytical. Instead of instant belief/shock/acceptance ("omg!" "wow" "multiple stars and flags") of any claim of a UFO encounter take the time to consider the facts of the story.

I believe intelligent extra-dimensional/alien life exists and therefore it's a small chance this story could be correct. I am also aware that there are those that would delight in making fools of believers and quite often it seems easily done because of the desire for something definitive overwhelms the believers to the point where every story is true before proven false.

That state-of-mind is exploited with ease.

The people that generate hoaxes/jokes/ruses make the authentic seem unbelievable, and the believers who jump at any kind of "alien encounter claim", even the more dubious, discredit the real truth-seekers.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join