It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best cut for a steak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I'm going to be buying some steaks here pretty soon, what is the best cut out there and why?

Speaking of which, what is the best marinade to go with it?

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, you've got the Filet Mignon (aka tenderloin/chateaubriand) it's very tender and has a delicate flavor. The New York strip (aka shell) steak is tender and is more flavorful. The Porterhouse steak (also known as T-Bone especially the smaller ones) is a cut that includes both the Filet Mignon and NY Strip and is usually my personal favorite (make sure you can find a really big, thick one!)

Rib steaks are very good too, and are both tender and flavorful.

Whatever the cut, try to get prime if it is available, but choice steaks are still good. Look for good marbling of fat in the meat.

As far as marinade, I usually just use lemon juice, granulated garlic (not garlic salt) and black pepper. I don't use salt in the marinade because it can draw moisture out of the meat and make it less juicy (you can always salt it to taste at serving time).

I usually just eat it sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic. But if you want a sauce, Bearnaise works very well with the filet mignon/shell/porterhouse. A peppercorn sauce can be used with the NY Strip/porterhouse. Rib steaks can taste good with a nice thick herbed beef gravy. I almost never use bottled steak sauce.

I hope that helps.... btw, now I'm very hungry for a steak!

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
It's really hard to beat a grilled New York Strip or Porterhouse... go with either of those and you won't be sorry; Just be sure to remember the baked potato and A-1 sauce which no meat is complete without

Money wise though, sheesh I don't even want to talk about the costs of having a good steak dinner; I can't actually remember the last time I had one.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
great, thanks for the feedback. The idea of having two types of steaks in one is great.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
www.lobels.com

you're going to spend a lot but their steaks are the best around.

posted on Aug, 20 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I really like ribeye steak, marinated for a couple of hours in garlic (powder) ginger (powder) and light soy - but not too much.

Flash fry in a griddle to seal it, then cook it to whatever taste you like - medium rare for me - great with spinach, broccoli sweetcorn and fresh vine tomatoes.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Delmonico steak, about an inch or a little more,
Grilled on a charcoal fire.
Seasoned with sea salt and pepper.
Medium rare to medium.

(Delmonicos are boneless ribeyes.)

[edit on 24-8-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Rib eyes cooked on a grill with salt and pepper only. Try to get aged beef it's very ,very good.

Roper

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Porterhouse

Not too thick about 1 - 1 1/2"

Fire up the BBQ, charcoal is a must! Gas grills are lame.

WEAPONS:

garlic minced or powder, to your taste.

onion dried or powder, to taste as well.

pepper black red or mixed, also to taste.

soy sauce gives great flavor and replaces salt, do not salt if using the sauce.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Coat the steaks in the dry (both sides)

Apply soy sauce (I use a spray bottle), on each side until it pools, don't drown it, just enough to let the steak absorb.

Put in a plastic container, and shove it in the fridge to meld. (turn the steak to even the flavor absorbtion.)

*best if left to meld a couple of hours before grilling*

COOKING:

Get your coals nice and HOT!!

Shove the coals to ONE side, (works best on a WEBER style grill)

Place steaks on the HOT side and sear each side ( to lock in the seasoning)

Once seared, move to the other side and cook to your preference.

You will throw every bottle of steak sauce out in the trash, it will not be needed any longer.

Try it !!!

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

You sure know how to make a recipe sound delicious, that actually made my mouth water.

I've got to remember some of those tips.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fweshcawfee

Much thanks,

This once secret recipe is how I landed my wonderful wife!

She said, "I don't care what you look like.... you make a mean steak... I do, Now start COOKIN!"

posted on Sep, 14 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Fillet is my choice, ideally from the tail end. The best meat will have been hung for about 4 weeks.

Ask your butcher to bring out a full fillet, and you can then specify how thick you want each steak before its cut, you can also make sure you get your steaks from the tail end then!

Dont be alarmed if the fillet looks dark purple on the outside, or even black. This is a sign of quality, it means the meat has been hung properly, which allows the fibres to break down giving superior tenderness and flavour!

As Djonsto77 has already pointed out, a good marbling of fat is also a sign of quality that the discerning steakmeister always looks for.

As for cooking, I'm of the opinion that if you've invested in some high quality meat, let its flavour speak for itself. Simply season with salt and black pepper and cook on the highest you can achieve!

new topics

top topics

join