It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenhouses a growing trend in the Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Greenhouses a growing trend in the Arctic

news.yahoo.com

IQALUIT, Canada (AFP) - Facing huge costs to import fresh fruits and vegetables, residents of Canada's far north are beginning to grow their own, erecting greenhouses atop the Arctic permafrost.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is very interesting and the beginning of something big.

This will be the experience we need to start bases on the moon or Mars.
You only have to build the greenhouses once then its nothing but growing food from then on. Good investment.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
You only have to build the greenhouses once then its nothing but growing food from then on.

Ummm.. The article states that their "summer" is only 8-10 weeks long and that they had to truck-in topsoil. Also don't forget that it's dark six months of the year. You still have to heat and light them, especially in areas that don't have a "natural" growing season. Where exactly are they going to get the energy to do so?

Don't get me wrong. I think it's great they are trying this out, I'm just not convinced that it's a "good investment" or that it will lead anywhere near to becoming "self-sufficient".

posted on Aug, 19 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I am pretty sure that heating could be done pretty easily, especially at the arctic by using solar energy.

That still leaves the lighting though. Perhaps a few windmill towers could produce enough electricity to power HIDs, there is alot of wind up there, no.

Besides all of the drawbacks, the one MAJOR advantage is the access to abundant amounts of pure fresh water that is becoming more and more valuable each year.

top topics

join